Riptide.

You got me asking asking, what's your passion passion, tell me what's your great escape, ooh

“So how’s life?” Brody ask as we walk away from the small group. “It’s been what, 8 years since we’ve talked?”

“I did go to med school,” I start. “School was fine but when I got into my residency, I slowly realized that being a doctor wasn’t something I wanted for myself. Then I started dating Bristol’s brother, Jack. That ended a couple months ago because apparently he was lying to himself, trying to convince himself that he loved me. So that ended…”

“Sounds like he was an idiot,” Brody states. “You’re better off without him. You still living in New York?”

“I just moved here a couple days ago,” I chuckle. “Jack breaking up with me was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Before that, everything was snowballing out of control. I was just really unhappy this last year. I needed change. I felt like I was suffocating.”

“Well if you need someone to talk to, you know I’ll be there for you.” I’ve missed Brody’s sincerity. It’s a rare trait nowadays.

“Thanks Brody,” I smile. “So how have you been?”

“Good,” he lets out an awkward chuckle accompanied with him rubbing the back of his neck. “I just got out of a long term relationship. She didn’t like the distance between us.”

“I’m sorry.” I say, putting a hand on his shoulder. “If you need someone to talk to, I’m here.”

“I missed you,” he sincerely says. “I may have known you for a short while but you’re that type of person who manages to light up anyone’s day.”

“Once upon a time I was like that,” I sigh, running my fingers through my hair, “I don’t know what kind of person I am anymore.”

“Is that why you moved out here?” He asks. “You’re trying to find yourself again?”

“The last time I was truly happy was when I was in California with the girls.” I begin. “So yea, maybe I am out here trying to find myself.”

“What are you doing tomorrow morning?” He asks, “Like ass crack of dawn morning?”

“Working,” I reply. “I work at the Java Hut and Zara has me working really early in the morning.”

“Do you think she’ll let you have one morning where you can take off and go surfing with me?” He gives me a sheepish smile which causes me to laugh. “You know you are your happiest when you’re in the water. That’s why you came back to California.”

“I haven’t been surfing in years,” I admit to him. “I’d be surprised if I still knew how to even stand on the board.”

“I’m gonna have to talk to Zara,” Brody starts to say as he moves closer to me. “Because it’ll be a damn shame to live in California and be friends with a professional surfer and not know how to ride.”

“The mornings are the busiest,” I explain, “she’s not going to let me go that easily.”

“That old lady has the biggest soft spot when it comes to me and Cash, she can’t say no to us.” He laughs. “Whenever I get the okay from here, I am taking you to get a new board and you will go through Brody’s Crash Course Surfing Class once more.”

“And what, it’ll end up just like it did 8 years ago?” I smirk at him.

“If it does, so be it.” He just shrugs, a smirk dancing across his lips. “You act like what happened the first time was so bad.”

“It wasn’t,” I chuckle. You weren’t there for the heartache though, I add in my head as a fake smile is still on my lips. Brody is about to say something when Gracie and Makayla walk over,

“So this is where you’ve been?” Makayla smirks at me as she looks down at me and Brody as we’re sitting in the sand. “We’ve been looking for you everywhere!” Her words are slurring as she sways, spilling her drink a little.

“I think she needs to go,” Gracie states. “Ready when you are.”

I turn back to Brody and put my hand out, “hand over the phone so I can put my number in. I’m not going to lose touch with you again.” He just smiles as he hands over his phone. As I get ready to put my number in, my old contact name comes up. I can’t believe he kept me in his contacts all these years, I think to myself as I type in my new number before giving his phone back to him. “You better call or text me.”

“Don’t worry, I will.” He says as he watches me get up out of the sand, “be good Ali.”

“You too.” I smile as I walk away with Gracie and Makayla.

**

“So you know Brody huh?” Gracie asks as we walk out of Makayla’s room. “There was something here, wasn’t there? I can see the way you look at him. You loved him once upon a time, huh?”

“It was stupid summer love,” I sigh. “It wasn’t going to go anywhere. I wasn’t going to allow it, anyway.”

“Why not?” Gracie’s tone seems protective. “Brody is a nice guy.”

“My parents were -are- all about image, their future doctor daughter would never have been allowed to date a surfer. It just wouldn’t go.”

“When did you guys start to lose contact with each other?”

“As soon as I started school,” I reply. “I couldn’t deal with my heart being in California while my brain had to remain in New York. It wasn’t fair, I know. But I had to cut ties in order for me to remain focuses on a dream that wasn’t mine.”

“I guess this is your second chance,” Gracie smiles, causing me to follow suit.

“I guess you’re right. This is my second chance…”
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: The Sun is Going to Rise Again by Cris Cab

Back in school. And honestly almost done with it. I have three more weeks of class then a ten week externship. Holy shit batman! So close to being a full fledged adult! And to add to me adult list, I've got a working interview at an animal clinic Tuesday! Look at me adulting all over the place!

anyway, comment and subscribe? I might use this story for NANOWRIMO