Status: Active

Dear Olive

The Visit

Natalie had changed my radio station...again. Instead of throwbacks from the late 2000's, we were listening to a current pop icon. Her name was Ari McQueen and the song was called, "You can do anything."

She could do anything, but make good music apparently. Her sugary voice was almost as annoying as Natalie's off key attempt to join in. She whipped a broom through the house and screamed,"I am invincible. I am a rising star. I can do anything!"

"You know what, I'm probably all set for the day. If you need to go home and check on Rose, I totally understand," I shouted over her falsetto.

"Oh you are the sweetest, Charlie. It's only 11:00 though and Rose should be sound asleep until at least 2:00 in the afternoon."

She gave me a chipper little smile as I groaned internally. Three more hours with all of that fucking pep might be the end of me. I'd never met someone that was so unnaturally happy.

I don't known why I found it so extremely frustrating. She whistled and flitted around the house like a canary and I felt like the sour tom cat that wanted to eat her. She did look pretty delicious in her tight blue jeans.

Her short blond hair was pulled and pinned back as much as possible. It bounced in a tiny pony tail as she half walked /half jogged to grab a trash bag. Her ponytail wasn't nearly as entertaining as the bounce of her butt though.

I admittedly stared at her as she worked. I tried not to be obvious, but if she caught me I wouldn't be ashamed. Shame was an emotional response that I didn't have to entertain anymore.

My unfiltered thought were that Natalie was plain, but she was also attractive. She was loud, but I could probably think of a way to keep her mouth busy. She was alive, but I could treat her like an object.

I could distance myself from her and the things that she was. Natalie was sweet, young, and so human. I wanted that once.

I wanted it so badly.

I could be happy too though right. No, happy was the wrong word for it. I could have peace.

That was so much more important to me. I would move away from all halls that had memories and the streets that knew my real name. I would find peace in Charles Monroe and the handsome body he possessed.

Curling my well shaped lips, I shot Natalie a sympathetic grin and said, "Sorry, but its my turn to pick the music."

She rolled her eyes and headed toward the living room to throw away old magazines and a few dust covered scented candles. I headed toward the kitchen to open the fridge. I was starving and the energizer bunny (Natalie) would have to eat at some point.

I turned up some music by a really old band called, The Horrible Crows. As the song, Sugar started to play, I prepared sandwiches and ripped open a bag of chips. Grabbing a handful, I walked out the front door and onto the porch.

It was a perfect summer day. Maybe Natalie would like to eat outside. It wasn't too hot and there was some nice shade from a nearby Red Oak tree.

I turned to go back for our plates, when I caught sight of a car slowing beside my lawn. It was an expensive model that looked out of place in front of one of the most run down homes in the neighborhood. I leaned on the porch railing and waited to shout, "wrong house" at someone.

Then I caught sight of who was driving the car. She was wearing a floppy burgandy hat and big dark sunglasses, but I knew it was her. I knew Olive was pulling into my driveway and I would have to face her for the first time in 8 months.

It wasn't quite a year, but it felt like so more than that. Every spin around the sun felt like a small eternity. I wasn't prepared for how much I wanted to run across the lawn and meet her.

Maybe shock or some kind of reason kept me glued in place though. I couldn't seem to make myself move or speak. I just watched dumbly as she got out of her car and walked toward me.

Olive took off her sunglasses and I saw her eyes dart to the moving van that was taking up most of the driveway. She looked back at me and her expression was slightly panicked. She picked up the pace and almost jogged across the lawn in her pointy little dress shoes.

"Hi there," she called out.'You must have just moved in. I'm sorry to trouble you...I was hoping to catch the previous owner before he left."

She didn't know me. Olive was staring right at me and I realized that she had no idea who I was. Her green eyes met mine blankly and without recognition.
♠ ♠ ♠
Loving my comments? Paragraph spacing, better? Easier to read? Left me know and please recommend if your liking this! :)