Status: A life in snapshots

The Silver Three

Blaise Zabini

Draco is serving detention and the common room seems lonely without him. Crabbe and Goyle are bouldering presences in the room. They’re both vapid. I’m sure that they don’t know how to read, because they try to copy my answers in my classes. Goyle suffered a Bat Bogey Hex on my behalf because of it.

I sit on the couch, looking around the common room. Some of the boys look at me shyly, and I frown at them. Father always says that a boy worth talking to is a boy who introduces himself and is proud. I’m thinking of this as the couch moves, drawing my attention.

The boy next to me still has a roundness to his face that I know I have too. I recently turned eleven, and he looks my age, a first year. He has dark, smooth skin and darker hair. His eyes are almond shaped and slanted, which are fitting for the cheekbones that look as though they could be sharp, when he grows into them.

He holds out his hand and smirks. “I’m Blaise Zabini.”

I stick out my hand and we shake. He has a firm handshake and a warm hand. His dark, brown eyes do not leave my own blue eyes. “I’m Eleanor Blackburn.”

“I know who you are. My father says the Blackburns’ are a fine family.”

“My father likes the Zabinis’ well enough. Your father works in the Department of Mysteries.” He nods. “It is prestigious.”

We talk quietly for a while. Blaise is extremely smart, and I begin to wonder why he doesn’t speak out more in class. Perhaps it’s because he doesn’t want everyone else to know he’s smart. The smartest kids end up in Ravenclaw they say. But Blaise is a Slytherin, we’re made of the same stuff.

It’s the first moment we share as friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
I absolutely love Blaise. He really is extremely intelligent, when you piece together all the stuff in the novels about him.

-N