Cynical.

Banshee

"Alana! Are you okay?" Someone was shaking my shoulders, but my eyes felt heavy. I managed to open them slowly, blinking up at a blurry figure. My vision cleared, and I found Scott and his friend standing over me. Scott's hands were on my shoulders. He looked worried, but he also looked freaked out. In fact, the entire class was staring at me like I had two heads, including the teacher. Great. It was only the first day of school, and I embarrassed the fuck out of myself.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine," I mumbled, pushing myself into a sitting position. Both boys pulled me off of the floor and out into the hallway.

"What are you doing? I said I'm fine. I can't miss class."

"Go get Lydia." Scott stayed with me while the other one disappeared. He kept his fingers clasped around my wrist, and I was seconds away from hyperventilating.

"Hey, Alana. Calm down. It's okay. Everything is going to be okay." I saw the flash of red in his eyes again and snatched my arm from his grip, taking off down the hallway. I turned the corner, running into someone and knocking us both to the floor.

"Shit. I'm sorry," I said, pushing myself off the floor. I dusted off the back of my jeans and looked behind me. Scott had just hit the corner, and when I turned to bolt, his friend and the red headed girl from earlier were standing in front of me. I knew I was caught either way I went.

"You don't have to run. We're not going to hurt you," Scott said, taking a step toward me. I took a step back, pressing myself against the lockers.

"What are you?" Lydia was looking at me, her head tilted to the side.

"I don't know what you're talking about." They had me cornered, but I was looking for an escape anyway. Scott's eyes flashed red again, and I squeaked, moving back.

"Scott, please stop doing that freaky thing with your eyes." His expression changed to a look of confusion.

"What are you talking about?"

"Your eyes. They keep turning red. Please stop making them do that." He looked at Lydia and his friend before turning back to me.

"Alana, my eyes aren't red."

"Don't lie to me. I know what I saw, and the last time I saw red eyes, someone ended up dead. So please do me a favor and stop it. I really don't want to move again." Everyone looked at each other as if they were having a silent conversation, but I was left in the dark.

"Alana, I need you to tell me why you fainted." Lydia stepped forward. She was the least threatening of the three.

"I don't know why I fainted. Everything just got silent. I started hearing voices, and then I screamed."

"What were the voices saying?" I was trying to remember, but it was like I was hearing static. I couldn't make out the words.

"I can't remember. I'm sorry. Can I go back to class now? That's all I can tell you." They looked at each other again, and I really wanted to know what was going on.

"So you heard voices, and then you screamed?" Lanky boy's tone was sarcastic, and I balled my hand into a fist, ready to punch him if I needed to.

"Stiles, shut up." Lydia snapped at him, her eyes still on me. I raised my eyebrows at "Stiles".

"Seriously? Stiles? What kind of name is that?" I giggled awkwardly, trying to make myself feel better. He rolled his eyes, and I turned to Scott.

"Look, Alana, we're not trying to freak you out, but we might be able to help you." I knew I needed the help, but I didn't want it. I didn't want to know what was wrong with me. I wanted to live my life as normally as I possibly could.

"I don't need help. I need to get back to class."

"You said the last time you saw red eyes, someone died. Did you scream then?" I thought back to the memory that often haunted my dreams, watching someone bleed out and there was nothing I could do about it.

"Yes."

"Then trust me, you need our help."

"What, is there like a diagnosis or something? Am I psychopath?" I meant it to be sarcastic, but the looks on their faces told me this was bigger than a joke or anything that I was thinking about.

"No. You're a banshee." I'd only heard the term one other time. It was from my grandmother, and it was before they locked her in an insane asylum for hearing voices. No one mentioned it to me after that.

"No. I'm not a banshee. I'm a normal 15 year old that needs to get back to Trig." I didn't know if I was trying to convince myself or them.

"Alana, I get it. It's not ideal, but you have to trust me. You need our help." Lydia reached up to put her hands on my shoulders, and I flinched back.

"How would you know what I need?"

"Because I'm a banshee." I closed my eyes and took deep breaths, trying to calm my racing heart. We moved from Sacramento to get away from the stuff we couldn't explain, but I was just thrown right back into it, and I couldn't be more confused.

"And what, you're a werewolf?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest and turning to Scott. It would explain the red eyes, but I was hoping that he'd tell me I was crazy and this was all a joke. He shrugged, and I knew I had my answer, "And let me guess, you're a vampire that sparkles in the sun," I said, turning to face Stiles.

"No. I'm actually human." I noticed he was very fidgety.

"Okay, well this is all just wonderful and dandy, but I don't know what any of it means, and I really want to get back to class. Is that possible?" I pushed myself away from the lockers, hoping they would break the triangle surrounding me.

"Trust me, Alana. I'm just as confused as you are." I sighed, trying to rub the tension from between my eyebrows.

"Okay, this isn't what I moved to Beacon Hills for. I moved to get away from this. I'm tired of finding dead people when I'm not even trying to. I'm tired of screaming out of nowhere and being looked at like I should be locked up in a mental hospital, so if you can help me get that under control, great. If you can't, please let me go back to class and leave me alone." Lydia stepped out of the way, and I walked back to class as quick as my legs allowed. The weird looks continued when I stepped through the door. Luckily, the bell rang. I walked to my desk and picked up my things, keeping my head down as I tried to make a quick escape.

"Alana, I need you to stay after class," the teacher said, staring at me over the top of her glasses. I watched as everyone left the room before walking up to her desk, "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm really sorry about that. It won't happen again." She nodded once, and I power walked out of the room.