Cynical.

Mute

"Hey honey. How was your first day?" I was eating pizza when my mom walked through the door, kissing the top of my head as she set her keys and purse on the counter. I decided not to tell her that I'd screamed and fainted in class. We'd only been here for a day, and I didn't want to worry her.

"It was fine."

"Did you make any friends?" I hadn't, but I didn't want her to know that. She'd worry that I was being anti-social and invite some people over. Being forced to interact wasn't something I wanted to endure.

"Yeah, a few," I lied smoothly, pulling a piece of pepperoni off of my pizza.

"One of the nurses on duty today said that she had a son that went to school with you. I think his name is Scott?" Red eyes flashed in the back of my head. I wondered if his mom knew he was a werewolf.

"Yeah. I met him today. He helped me find one of my classes." I didn't tell her that he'd basically cornered me in a hallway and called me a word I was taught to fear.

"Well that's great. Maybe you guys can spend some time together." My mom thought having a boyfriend while I was in high school was important. She said it was a way to explore options and learn things about myself. I thought I could do that without a boyfriend, as most parents did, but my mom was different because she thought I intentionally alienated myself. It wasn't that I didn't want friends. I was just better off without them.

"He already has a girlfriend, mom," I said, not knowing if that was actually true. With the way he looked, I wouldn't be surprised if he was off the market, but I wasn't interested in him, nor was I looking to be.

"I'm sure he could introduce you to a few people."

"The only person I saw him hanging out with was rude, and he had a weird name." Stiles had rubbed me the wrong way the second I saw him, and I didn't think my opinion of him was going to change. He probably thought I was a freak anyway.

"You must be talking about the Stilinski boy. His dad is the sheriff." I rolled my eyes. That was just great. Not only was he an asshole, but he probably got away with everything because of who his dad was.

"Like that changes anything," I mumbled, finishing off the last of my food. I threw my trash away and grabbed a water bottle from the fridge, walking upstairs to my room to finish my homework Trig had taken me the longest, so I made sure to get that out of the way first. I'd breezed through my chemistry homework, and the reading for English took me all of thirty minutes. I still had history questions to answer, and my conjugation worksheet for French was burning a hole in my binder. Why in the hell all my teachers decided to assign homework was beyond me. It was like they all thought their class was the only one we had to attend.

"I'm gonna take your father some food. Do you want to come?" My mom poked her head in my room, smiling softly when she saw the textbooks and papers scattered in front of me.

"Yeah." It would get me away from homework for at least 45 minutes, and I needed a break. My head was starting to hurt. I closed my French textbook and pushed it to the side, climbing off my bed and slipping my feet back into my shoes. I grabbed my phone from my bedside table and slid it into my pocket, following my mom downstairs and out the front door. The ride to the hospital was a lot short than I thought it would be, and I realized the Beacon Hills wasn't very big. The inside of the hospital was bustling with people, and I wondered how long it was going to take before we found my dad. My mom introduced me to one of the nurses, her name being Mrs. McCall.

"It's to meet you," I smiled lightly. I could tell that she was Scott's mom. They had the same eyes...when his weren't red, and once again I wondered if she knew about her son.

"It's nice to meet you too, sweetie. I know Scott's around here somewhere. Maybe he can keep you company for a little bit." Seeing Scott was the last thing I wanted. I'd barely been able to escape him at school. I didn't want to hear anymore talk of banshees or anything supernatural.

"I'll find him." I didn't plan on looking for him, but I didn't want to be rude either. I followed my mom to the elevator, stepping inside right before the doors closed. We rode up to the second floor, my mom humming a song to herself. I saw Scott standing outside one of the rooms. It looked like he was listening to whatever was going on inside.

"What are you doing?" I asked, tapping him on the shoulder. He jumped a little and whipped around, his eyes flashing red as he looked at me. I took a couple steps back and raised my hands defensively. He seriously needed to stop doing that.

"Sorry. We injured Liam today in practice. I was just making sure he was okay." He sighed, leaning against the wall behind him.

"Did you injure him on purpose?"

"No. At least I don't think I did. I was worried that he might take my spot on the starting line, so I went at him a little harder than I normally would. I didn't think he was going to get hurt." Scott didn't seem like the type to intentionally hurt someone, but I didn't know him very well, so I couldn't be the judge of that.

"I'm sure he's not mad at you, if that's what you're worried about." I took a hesitant step toward him, placing my hand on his shoulder.

"I know he's not mad. He feels bad for challenging me and Stiles in the first place." His guilt was obvious. I opened my mouth to say something, but all the noise of the hospital faded out and was replaced with static and whispering. I cringed, covering my ears to make the sound stop, but it didn't work, "Alana, what's wrong?" Scott's voice was muffled, the other noises nearly drowning him out.

mute

The lights in the hospital started flickering, and the noise got louder, the voices fading completely, turning into static. I crouched down, pressing my hands harder against my ears, but the noise wouldn't stop, and I saw black.