Status: Active but with slow updates

Best Friends

1

I thought back to elementary school. The day John and I met. I was so thankful to have made a friend at school, as I had been quite sure I wasn't going to make any on that rainy Wednesday afternoon.

A lazy smile was brought to my lips as I thought back, and I realized I'd been distracted from my classwork.

"Psst. Hey Kate," John whispered, scaring me and getting my attention. I looked over and glared at him.

"What? You scared me," I told him, trying to keep quiet as our teacher went over important information for our test this next week. John chuckled.

"What? I finally scared you? After all these years?" He asked, and I tried not to smile. John was referring to the time when I told him I wasn't scared of anything, only to have him scare me anyway. So now every time he scared me, he'd rub it in my face.

"Fuck off," I laughed, a little louder than I probably should have.

"Miss Jones? Do you need to be escorted out?" Mrs. Kelley asked. I blushed and shook my head while John snickered at me. I looked back down at my pencil in my hand, where my gaze had been previous to John distracting me.

I returned to daydreaming, only to be distracted once more a few minutes later.

"Miss Jones? I asked you a question," Mrs. Kelley said. I blushed once more, sitting there in silence so she would hopefully repeat it. But alas, she did not.

"I'm sorry.. I uh.. I don't know," I murmured. She sighed.

"Take a walk down to the principal's office for me, yeah?" She asked. My cheeks deepened in color, and I slowly started to pack up my things.

"Can I escort her down?" John asked from beside me.

"I guess. But be quick," Mrs. Kelley said. I put everything back in my backpack, avoiding everyone's gazes as I walked up the aisle with John following me. I pushed the door open, and once it shut, I pushed John up against the wall.

"Fuck you," I said quietly. He laughed.

"I love you too, Katie. Let's go. I'll get you out of here," he said. I punched his arm for getting me in trouble, and he feigned hurt.

"Wow. You're really getting good at that. Have you been working out?" He asked, then he laughed and spun his car keys around his finger. I glared at him while I followed him out to his car. After all, it was the last period of the day.

Once we reached it, he unlocked the doors, allowing me to toss my stuff in the back and get in the passenger seat. John did the same with his things, and he got in, and we drove off.

"You wanna hang out? You know your dad will be cool with it," John said. I grinned.

"Why the fuck wouldn't I want to hang out? Kyle is so boring," I said to him. Kyle is my brother. He's fourteen, and all he does is play video games.

"Alright. Just remember that you said that, because I'll remember it for anytime you say you can't hang out." John said. I shook my head.

"You remember everything about me. You even remember when I was a little chubby in the seventh grade, and you still wanted to be my friend," I said. John laughed.

"Yeah. Physical appearance says nothing about being able to be friends with someone. I still thought you were pretty, it's okay," John said. I blushed. Even though he always tells me I'm pretty, I've never heard him tell me when I was a little chubby. But it made me feel better.

"Just... shut up. I don't want to get all super sappy before we hang out," I said. John just shook his head and pulled up in front of my house. I got out, grabbing my backpack, and I headed inside. I ran up the stairs to my room, throwing my backpack on my bed and grabbing my phone off its charger. I stuffed it in my back pocket along with my wallet, and then I jogged back down the stairs to the kitchen.

"Hey dad. Gonna hang out with John today. You cool?" I asked. He looked up from the recipe he was reading and smiled at me.

"Sure. This recipe calls for four, so have him over for dinner. Which will be around seven or eight," he said.

"So what time should we be back?" I asked.

"About six thirty," he said. I nodded, and then jogged back outside, passing my brother on the way. I got back in the car, slightly out of breath.

"Dad says to be home by six thirty. And you can stay for dinner if you want," I said.

"If I want? I was going to anyway. Your dad is amazing at cooking," John said, and he pulled away from the curb. I grinned, because that was true.

"There's also something else that I need to tell you," John said, pulling over into a seven eleven parking lot. He turned the car off and we headed inside before he said anything else.

"John, what is it? Tell me," I said.

"I'm going to try out for this band in a couple of weeks," he said as we both got medium sized slurpees.

"What band?" I asked, filling up my cup.

"The Maine. They need a vocalist, so I thought I'd give it a shot," he told me. Once we were both done filling up our cups, we walked up to the deserted counter and waited for someone to ring us up.

"Well, shit, O'Callaghan. I hope you get it. That'll be awesome!" I exclaimed. He grinned, and an employee approached to ring us up. We left after paying, sipping on our cold drinks, and we went over to his house.

"Really? You wanted me to hang out and we're doing it at your house?" I asked. John smiled.

"Why not? We can cuddle," he said.

"John, it's over a hundred degrees," I said.

"We're cuddling, okay? We've never cuddled," he said with a shrug as we entered his house.

"When the fuck did you start to want to cuddle with me?" I asked. John laughed.

"I just realized I'd never cuddled you before, and I wanted to know what it would be like, okay? Don't kill a man cause he wants to cuddle, okay?" I rolled my eyes.

"John, I'm not cuddling you," I said. He shrugged, and then we headed up the stairs to his room. The second I sat down on his bed, I started to complain.

"John.. I'm bored," I said, then I looked up at him with wide eyes.

"That's the first time you've said it! Remember our deal!?" John asked. He fished a piece of paper out of his desk drawer, and he handed it to me. I unfolded it, and I looked at the boyish handwriting upon the paper. It read:

"The next time Kate says she's bored, she has to make out with John." It had both of our 'signatures' underneath, and I groaned. I'd always been careful not to tell him I was bored even if I was dying to go home and do something else.

"God. Why the fuck did I agree to sign that stupid piece of paper?" I groaned. John plucked it out of my hands, and he set it on his night stand. I took a sip of my drink to stall, because in reality, I was nervous. I'd never been kissed before, and John didn't know that. He sat down next to me, taking my drink away from me with a chuckle.

"You seem nervous," he said, moving closer to me. I pulled my eyebrows together.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked. He raised his own eyebrows.

"Wait. You're actually nervous? I was like.. kidding. Katie.." he said. I sighed.

"Shut up," I said. He chuckled.

"It's gonna take more than that to shut me up. Whats wrong?" He asked. I sighed, and I looked up at him.

"I may or may not have had my first kiss yet," I confessed, looking back down at my lap as my cheeks heated up in a blush.

"Aww."

"It's not cute," I snapped.

"Yes it is, Katie. Your first kiss doesn't determine anything about you. It's just a kiss," John said. I rolled my eyes.

"Well it's a big deal to me. I don't want to ruin it," I said.

"Oh... uh alright," he said. He stood up.

"Then I guess we don't need this." He showed me the deal, and he ripped it in half before throwing it away.

"John-"

"No it's okay. You don't want to ruin it. Not a big deal. Let's get you home," he said. I sighed and followed him down the stairs. Now he was angry with me. Why? It's my first kiss. Doesn't he get that he isn't the one I want to kiss first? It shouldn't matter. It was only four o'clock. Obviously I made him upset.

When he pulled up in front of my house, I unbuckled my seatbelt, but I didn't get out. I turned to him instead.

"John, can we talk about it?" I asked. He huffed.

"I want you to know that I didn't say you're a bad kisser. I don't know if you are or not. But what I meant was that I want my first kiss to be with someone special. Not necessarily my best friend. Do you get that?" I asked. John relaxed and looked over at me, and he gave me a small smile.

"Yeah. Just go inside. I'll see you tomorrow," he said. I smiled and gave him a hug over the console before getting out. I watched him drive away before heading back inside, and I wondered why he was so upset about not getting to kiss me.