Status: Active but with slow updates

Best Friends

14

One Month Later~~

I should've known. Everything was perfectly fine until just last week. John drunk called me again, telling me he'd slept with Cristina again.

I wanted to punch something. He want coming for me. He'd cheated on me with his ex when drunk. I should have known.

"Katelynn? Do you want something to eat?" My dad asked. I looked over at him, my eyes bloodshot and puffy from crying.

"No," I muttered. He nodded and left.

By the end of the month, I was in my own apartment in Arizona, paid for for a whole year by my dad. Now, I was completely and utterly alone.

John had never shown up. I hadn't seen him around anywhere, and I was glad that I didn't have to see him. But, I had a feeling that I'd end up running into him at some point.

And run into him I did quite literally. I was at my new job, doing the same thing I had been, just with a different company. I was patrolling the aisles to find the correct spot for the CD in my hand when I bumped into a tall figure.

"Excuse me," I said dully, and the person turned around.

"Katelynn!?" John exclaimed. I glared at him, and I rolled my eyes as I placed the CD in its designated spot.

"Get out of my face, you asshat," I said. John sighed.

"No." I turned to face him.

"No? I want you out of my presence while I'm working. Leave," I said. I went to walk away, but he gripped my arm.

"Wait," he said. He forced me to stop, and I shut my eyes and heaved out a sigh before facing him again. I crossed my arms over my chest.

"I'm sorry," he said. I scoffed.

"Sorry? You cheated on me! Was me telling you that I'm in love with you not enough!?" I practically yelled, and John shushed me.

"Katie-"

"Katelynn," I corrected.

"Wow. You really don't like me right now," John said.

"I hate you! I wish I didn't know you," I told him, and I grabbed the box of CDs and stalked off. I didn't even feel an ounce of remorse for what I said. What I felt was complete honesty, and I wasn't going to lie to him. At least he'd had the decency to tell me he'd cheated on me, but I didn't have the decency to let him get away with it with petty apologies.

My shift ended later that night at about ten o'clock. This had been my latest shift yet, and I was afraid if going out in the dark alone.

"Hey Matt!?" I called to my boss, who appeared in front of me within a few seconds.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Could you walk me to my car?" I asked. He smiled.

"Sure. This your latest night?" He asked. I nodded as we walked out together.

"Yeah... and my ex was here earlier and I don't feel too comfortable knowing he could be around here somewhere waitin- John," I stated, stopping in my tracks as John himself walked up to me.

"Hey man, if she's told you she wants to be left alone, I suggest doing it," Matt said. John blew Matt off.

"Katie I need to talk to you," John said desperately.

"I told you to call me Katelynn," I said through clenched teeth. I gripped my purse and nodded Matt off. He headed back inside, and I followed John over to my car.

"Get it over with, O'Callaghan. I really don't like you," I said. I unlocked my car, and I put my purse on the passenger seat. I was then pushed into the car, and John was kissing me as he straddled my waist. I shrieked against his lips as I tried to push him off.

"Stop! Fucking stop!" I yelled after successfully pushing John away. He leaned against the steering wheel as I glared at him.

"What were you gonna do? Huh? Rape me? Get the fuck off of me," I said. John pushed my head back against the seat, and he leaned forward.

"JOHN O'CALLAGHAN!" I yelled, and I pushed him off of me. He tumbled out of the car and onto the asphalt. I stepped out and crouched down beside him. I smelled his breath.

"You're fucking drunk! You were... you..." my voice faltered as he sat up, and I backed into my car. I shut the door and locked the thing, and I pulled my phone out of my purse, and I dialled 911. But I didn't get to press the call button because John was pounding on my window.

"Don't you fucking dare, Katelynn!" He yelled. I shut my phone and tossed it back towards my purse, and I rolled down my window some.

"Leave me alone, or I swear I'll get a restraining order. Don't fucking test me!" I exclaimed. I rolled my window back up, and I pulled out of the parking space. I left the parking lot, and I drove home, my grip on the steering wheel tighter than ever.

"Fucking.... piece of shit," I muttered.

When I pulled into my complex, I got out and grabbed my purse. I locked my car, and I jogged over to the elevator. It opened for me, and I hit the fifth floor button. I searched for my apartment key, finding it when the elevator doors opened again, and I stepped out. I walked down the hall, stopping in front of my apartment, and I went to unlock it, but I found it was already unlocked. A red flag went up in my head, and I pushed the door open before backing away from it. I swear I'd locked it when I left this morning.

I took a cautious step forward, and I reached around the wall for the light switch, freezing when I felt something grab my hand. I shrieked and flipped the light on before pulling my hand back. I backed all the way up against the other wall in the hall, holding my hand against my chest as I heaved heavy breaths.

Cristina showed herself, a smirk upon her red painted lips. I glared daggers at her.

"How does it feel, Kate? How does it feel to have your man stolen from you?" Cristina asked. She took graceful steps forward, and I reached down into my purse to grab my pepper spray, just to be cautious. I wrapped my fingers around it, and I removed the cap, prepared to spray her if something happened. She approached, and she pinned me against the wall.

"It's so obvious why John wouldn't want you. You're ugly, worthless, scum. He only tolerates you," she said lowly into my ear. I let out a shaky breath.

"You don't know fucking shit about John. You haven't known him for as long as I have," I said aggressively. Cristina pulled back and sneered at me.

"I know enough, you filthy fucking whore," Cristina growled. Now was my chance. I pulled my hand out of my purse and sprayed Cristina right in the eyes, and she sunk to the floor, crying out in agony as she held her face.

"Break into my apartment again and you'll be fucking sorry," I snarled, and I stepped over her. I entered my apartment, and I closed and locked the door.

"FUCKING BITCH!" Cristina screamed. I smirked to myself, but my pride was short-lived when Cristina pounded on my door and didn't stop. I leaned against the door and called John.

"Come get your insane fucking girlfriend and get her away from my apartment," I growled when he picked up. I gave him my address when he agreed to come get her, and I hung up as I put all my weight against the door.

When the pounding and knocking stopped, I inched the door open, and I peered out of it. John had Cristina pulled against him with her arms pinned behind her. I stepped out, and I looked at them both.

"So... you cheated on me with Cristina, huh? Hope you're fucking proud of yourself," I spat at John. His face dropped. Cristina's eyes were all red and it looked as if she wanted to rinse them out with water.

"Let her go rinse her eyes," I told John. He nodded, letting her go, and she scurried off.

"Hope she gets lost. Bitch.. come in, John," I said, and he followed me in. He closed the door, and I locked it.

"I'm so sorry, Katelynn," John said. I sat down on my couch.

"Why'd you do it? Why? Of all the people in the world you chose her. Not to mention that it was to cheat-"

"Shut up, Katelynn! You haven't even let me explain myself!" John raised his voice, and he caught my attention. I stared at him.

"Then fucking explain," I said bitterly. John sighed, and he took a seat next to me.

"It was a night that I really missed you, and I thought that alcohol would make me feel better, so I drank until I couldn't walk straight. I know that I told you I cheated on you, but the reality is that she raped me and I as too scared to admit it," John said. My expression softened, and I covered my mouth with my hand.

"Oh my god. John! Why didn't you tell me!?" I cried. He looked down in shame.

"I thought you'd laugh at me like it was a joke," he said. I shook my head furiously.

"No, baby no. Rape isn't something to laugh about," I said. John looked up at me, and he pulled me into his arms. I hugged him tightly, and I pressed a kiss against his temple.

"But.. why did you try to force yourself on me in the parking lot?" I asked softly. He sighed.

"I was a bit more tipsy than I am currently... and I really fucking miss you, Katie," John whispered. I sighed.

"We can't be together right now, John. The time isn't right," I said.

"Why?" He asked as he pulled back to look at me. I stood up and paced the floor.

"Because we can't," I said. I didn't want to have to lay the truth on him.

"Tell me why, Katelynn," John begged.

"I don't love you," I said softly. I sat back down next to him and hung my head. John exhaled and stared at me.

"You don't love me anymore?" He asked. I faced him as my eyes filled with tears, and I shook my head.

"No," I said. He nodded and stood up.

"I... I guess- I guess I'll see you around, Kate," he said, swallowing thickly, and I nodded. He left, and I watched him leave, feeling my heart break all over again as he walked out of my life what seemed like for good. I sighed.

"Shit," I muttered. I stood up and turned out the lights before heading to my room to go to sleep.

~~

The next few weeks were harsh on me. Work was hard and I wanted to give up and lay at home in bed. I missed John, and I regretted telling him I didn't love him, but it was the definite truth. I sighed when I got a tap on my shoulder, and I turned around to face a guy with long brown hair. I smiled at him, and he returned it.

"Hi.. you're Katelynn, right?" He asked. I nodded.

"Yeah. You are?" I asked.

"I'm Pat... friend of John," he said. My smile disappeared.

"Oh... hi. Can I help you with anything today?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yeah... was what you told him the truth?" Pat asked. I rubbed the back of my neck.

"Yeah it was. And for the record... can you tell him I'm not exactly interested in dating anyone for a while?" I asked. Pat nodded and walked away.

When I as walking out to my car at the end of my.shift around noon, I as t paying attention as I searched my purse for my keys when it was harshly taken from me.

"Hey!" I yelled after the guy who was running away with my purse.

"Fucker!" I yelled, and I took off after him. I wasn't getting any closer to him, because I just wasn't fast enough, and I was afraid I was going to lose him.

"Help! Someone stole my purse!" I exclaimed as I continued to chase after the thief. All of a sudden, a guy was racing past me, and soon enough the thief was being tackled to the ground, my purse taken from him. I approached and stopped, completely out of breath. The guy handed me my purse back as people gathered around to watch.

"Thank you so much! What can I do to make it up to you?" I asked of the guy as he held the thief against the pavement.

"Call the cops, for one?" He suggested, giving me a sweet smile. I laughed and dug around in my purse for my phone, and I called the cops.

When the police showed up, they took the thief away and the guy approached me.

"Thank you so much," I repeated. He nodded.

"It's not a problem. What's your name?" He asked.

"Katelynn. Yours?" I asked. He took my hand in his.

"I'm Eugene. It's nice to meet you," he said. He shook my hand gently, and I smiled.

"It's nice to meet you too, Eugene," I said. He released my hand.

"Could I take you out for coffee sometime? My treat," he said.

"Sounds wonderful," I said. We exchanged numbers, and he told me he'd pick me up on Friday.

I was actually rather excited.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys! Keep reading and subscribing and recommending and all that jazz. Y'all are awesome! :)