Status: Active but with slow updates

Best Friends

22

John and I were in the back lounge with the guys watching a movie, cuddled up together on the couch. I sat up and went to remove my flannel, my hand grabbing the pocket that had my engagement ring in it, but I didn't feel it. Panic coursed through me as I peeled the flannel off, and I unbuttoned the pocket and stuck my hand in it. It was gone! I tried not to make it obvious that I was panicking, but I had already drawn a couple people's attention towards me when I removed my flannel in such a rush.

"Oh no!" I exclaimed. Everyone looked over at me, their eyebrows raised in wonder. How did I get out of this? The guys didn't know we were engaged, and I wanted to keep it that way.

"What's wrong?" Garrett asked as someone else paused the movie. Instead of answering his question, I stood up and started inspecting the couch cushions, not finding it.

"This isn't good!" I announced. I made eye contact with John.

"It's gone," I told him.

"What's gone?" Jared asked.

"Fucking christ!" I yelled angrily, and I rushed out towards the front lounge, checking every nook and cranny to find my ring, though part of me felt I would never find it.

"Looking for this?" I twirled around, my eyes connecting with Tim's. My ring was just in his hand, sparkling at me while he smiled smugly. What I didn't know was that everyone was stood behind me, and they could see it. Mine and John's secret was out.

"Thank God," I gasped, and I plucked it from between his forefinger and thumb. He crossed his arms over his chest, and stared me down.

"Wanna tell us?" He asked, his eyes flicking behind my head. I turned around, seeing that everyone was watching. I met John's eyes for split second before looking down at my hand. I slipped the ring on my finger, feeling a smile paint my lips. I looked back up and sighed.

"John and I are engaged," I said. I saw eyes widen around the room.

"What? John why didn't you tell us!?" Pat asked. John just shrugged.

"I didn't want someone to accidentally let it slip," he said. The guys all seemed pleased with John's answer.

"How long are you planning on keeping this a secret?" Tim asked. I turned to look at him as John took a step next to me, wrapping his arm around my waist. I looked up at John, who looked down at me.

"Well, since we aren't quite ready to get married, we'll probably announce it until we're ready to get married," John said, and I nodded alongside him. Tim eyed us skeptically.

"Okay..." he said. I felt like he didn't think we were ready to take this step in our relationship. I don't think any of the guys did.

"Kate... can I talk to you?" Pat asked. I looked at him and nodded, and I followed him to the back lounge, where he closed and locked the door behind us.

"Are you sure both you and John are ready for this step? You haven't been together for that long," Pat said. I sighed and sat down, running a hand through my hair.

"Now that you bring it up..." I trailed away.

"But I've literally been in love with John for as long as I can remember... for years, I just don't want to lose him. I want this," I said. Pat sat down next to me and placed a hand on my thigh.

"Sometimes your own feelings can get in the way. I don't want you to realize too late that this was the worst mistake you've ever made. Just think about it, okay? Is this a step in the right direction? You literally, and by you, I mean all of us, literally just got out of high school. We're not even twenty yet. You have so much more life to live before you take this step. Do you understand where I'm coming from?" Pat asked me. My eyes filled with tears, because I knew he was right. I needed to go to college and get a job and my own place to live. Running away with John wasn't the answer, and it definitely wasn't the best thing for me right now. Marriage was so far ahead of me. I couldn't just rush to the ending.

"I hate that you're right," I said sadly. Pat wrapped me up in a hug.

"So what's the game plan?" he asked, pulling away from me. I sighed.

"I need to talk to John."

~~

"Katie don't do this!" John begged.

"I have to John! It's the right thing!" I said, desperately hoping he'd understand.

"So you're just gonna walk out of my life? Just like that?" he asked hopelessly, tears clouding his vision. It was rough seeing him cry because of me, but my mind was already made up. I couldn't make this mistake. Tears clouded my own vision as I hugged him tightly. We cried silently together for a solid minute, and I pulled away to look at him.

"I love you, John. You know I do. This is just something I have to do," I told him sadly. I removed the ring from my finger, and I grabbed his hand, outstretching his fingers, and I placed the ring in his hand. I curled his fingers around it and I held his closed fist in both of my hands.

"I love you. So damn much," I said, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"I love you too, Katie I just don't understand," he said. I smiled sadly at him.

"I've gotta go," I said softly. I released his hand and took a few steps back.

"Don't leave me. Not like this," he said desperately, his voice weak with emotion.

I had no choice. I had to.
♠ ♠ ♠
ok hate me for not updating in like probs almost a year wow. anyway there's gonna be a time lapse next chapter, whenever I get that one up. Enjoy :) andsorry