Status: Active but with slow updates

Best Friends

3

"Your dad is getting married? What?" John asked. I just looked at him and stood up.

"Yeah. Apparently her name is Jennifer. Like that's supposed to make me feel better," I scoffed. John grabbed my hand, but I pulled mine away.

"Okay, what the fuck happened last night?" I asked. John sighed.

"I showed up at your window, you let me in, I kissed you, and then I laid you down so you could go to sleep. We never made out. And I asked you if you could go with me to my audition today, and you said you would," he said. I ran a hand through my hair.

"Okay. Don't kiss me again. I don't remember what it felt like, so it doesn't count," I said. John chuckled.

"Whatever you say, Katie. You know you want it," John said with a playful wink.

"Okay I'm not talking to you until I absolutely have to just because you said that. Bye John!" I announced, and I walked off in the direction of my first class of the day.

~~

When lunch came around, I hadn't seen John all day. I only shrugged to myself and kept on walking to my alternative lunch spot for days like this. For days when John deserved a silent treatment for things. Things that varied from a stupid joke with a stupid pun, to things that were a bit more serious. Today was a little on the lighter side, and he knew that.

But I never made it to my spot, because I was stopped by someone.

"Umm excuse me.. Katelynn?" A voice made me stop and look around, and I shouldered my bag as a tall guy with black hair emerged from beside me.

"Yeah?" I asked. He smiled at me, showing a set perfectly white teeth. I grimaced.

"Who are you?" I asked him.

"I'm no one," he said, advancing a little closer, "but you won't forget me. Meet me in the parking lot after school. No fucking around with John either." He left me alone, confused. Why would I meet him in the parking lot? So he could kill me? No fucking thanks. I ain't dying today. So that sent me on a search to find John, who, was sitting in a group of girls in a classroom, talking with his hands. I approached, pointed at him, and I motioned for him to come over, and I rounded the corner and waited for him.

"What's up?" John asked, concern etched onto his face.

"Random guy just gave me the fucking creeps. Told me to meet him in the parking lot after school and to not fuck around with you before I do it," I said, glancing around to make sure we were alone.

"Okay.. I can get those girls in there to surround us as we walk out after school. And we can get in my car unseen. Sound okay?" He asked. I shrugged.

"Sure. Better that then probably getting stabbed. Anyway, I don't want to be alone for the rest of the day, so let's go," I told him. John nodded, and we both headed back inside the classroom. We told the girls out plan, and they agreed to meet us outside mine and John's last class.

~~

When the time came, John and I made sure to be the last ones out, and the girls were there, just like they said they would be. John and I got in the middle of them, and we walked together out to the parking lot. The girls dispersed when we made it to John's car. John unlocked it, and I opened my door, feeling a hand on my shoulder. I jumped and spun around, seeing the guy from earlier.

"What did I tell you?" He scolded me, his brows furrowed together. I sunk down into John's car, sitting and grabbing his hand.

"We actually gave some place to be, so..." I trailed off, and I glanced at John.

"This is important," he said. I glared at him.

"Then spit it out, buddy! I don't have all fucking day!" I said, getting a little annoyed.

"My mom is marrying your dad. You know that, right?" He asked.

"Good luck to her, then. Fuck off, pal," I said, and he backed away as I went to close the door. John started the engine, and use released his hand to put on my seat belt.

"Great. Gonna have another brother. Fucking kill me already," I groaned as John pulled out of the parking lot toward the place his audition was being held at.

When we got there, John and I headed inside, and we were greeted by a shorter guy with longer hair.

"Hi. State your name and age please," he said.

"John O'Callaghan. I'm eighteen," he said. The guy's eyes lit up.

"Oh! You're the guy who's trying out for the vocalist. Follow me!" He exclaimed. John and I followed, and John was pushed up to stand in front the other band members, I assumed.

"Sing anything you like, I guess. Guys, this is John," the long haired guy said. John smiled and waved before saying anything.

"Hi.. yeah I uh... I'm gonna sing some Petty, I guess," John said. I smiled, and he started singing a Petty song. One that I didn't know.

About halfway into the song, John was stopped.

"You got it, man! You're in!" John looked ecstatic. I clapped for him, and he walked over to me, giving me a huge hug.

"Congratulations, O'Callaghan! I'm proud of you!" I said.

"Thanks. Thanks for bein' here too," he said. I nodded, and he went over to greet his bandmates.

We left about twenty minutes later. John had gotten all the information he needed, and he liked all the guys.

"Gosh! Now I have to start writing some songs! You'll be the first to hear them! Well, beside my band, but.. wow! This is so surreal!" John exclaimed. I laughed at him as we pulled up in front of my house. I grabbed my things and got out.

"Have a good day John. Congrats. You're gonna be famous!" I exclaimed. He nodded with a small smile, and I turned around, spotting a car I didn't recognize in my driveway. My smile fell as John drove away, and I hurried inside.

"Dad! What the fuck!?" I yelled once I stepped foot over the threshold.

"Katelynn! Watch your mouth! Come into the kitchen. Now," he ordered. I dropped my things on the floor and followed. I entered the kitchen, seeing that guy from earlier and a woman with two other children. This woman already had three kids!?

"Katelynn, this is Jennifer. This is her oldest son. His name is Drew. These are the twins. They're twelve. There's Garrett and Penelope," my dad said. I glared at them all, tapping my foot in annoyance.

"Whatever." I left, making my way upstairs. If I had to share my room with one of those little brats, I was going to lose it. I entered my room, slamming the door and locking it before walking over to my bed. I removed my shoes as I sat down, grabbing my phone off its charger. I called John, and he picked up immediately.

"What's up, beautiful?" John asked. I rolled my eyes.

"John, if I have to share my room with a twelve year old little brat, I'm gonna lose my shit," I told him. He chuckled.

"It's not funny!" I exclaimed.

"So you met them? What's creep's bame John asked.

"Drew. And then Jennifer has twins. Garrett and Penelope," I mocked. John sighed.

"I'm sorry, Katie. If I could take you, I would," John said, and I smiled. There was a knock on my door.

"I have to go. See you tomorrow," I said, and I hung up. I set my phone down and stood up, unlocking my door and opening it.

"Katelynn. We're gonna talk about it," my dad said, and he pushed past me. I closed the door and turned to face him.

"What?" I asked.

"We're moving," he said.

"What!?" I asked.

"Yeah. Jennifer says it wouldn't be fair to the twins if we moved them in here. They've got friends that they can't leave behind," he said.

"No! I don't... where are we moving?" I asked.

"Well, Jennifer lives In Phoenix. We're in Tempe. Not very far," he said.

"That's not fair to me or Kyle! Kyle isn't much older than them. And I've got John here. I can't just leave!" I said angrily.

"John will understand. You can still see each other," he said.

"No. That's not fair. Those little brats get to keep their friends but I don't? How is that fair!?" I asked.

"Kate, you are eighteen years old. You're acting like a child," my dad said.

"It's all your fault! If you hadn't decided to rush into marrying this girl I wouldn't be acting this way!" I said. I know I was probably being a little too dramatic, but hey. What are you gonna do.

"Katelynn, they're kids."

"That's your defense? They won't remember the friends they have now when they're older. I don't remember anyone except John," I said.

"Because you love him. He's been there for you," he said.

"Don't turn this around on me. Just leave me alone," I said. He nodded and left, and that's when I texted John, telling him to come over. I let myself cry, even though I felt dumb for doing it.

My tears hadn't ceased by the time John was texting me to open the door, so I rushed downstairs and pulled the door open, allowing him in before I threw my arms around his neck, and he let me cry. He kicked the door closed, and then he pulled me into the living room where Kyle was sat glaring at Garrett from across the room.

"It's gonna be alright, Katie. Don't worry," John cooed. He sat me down on the couch, sitting next to me and letting me lean on him.

"Can you both give us some privacy?" John asked the two boys, and they both left.

"We're moving to Phoenix. Dad says it's not that far, but it's far enough away for me to have to move schools. I'll be leaving you behind and I don't want to do that. Because their friends are more important than mine," I complained. John just stared at me.

"You serious?" He asked. I nodded.

"I'm so sorry, Katie. I hate to have to tell you this now, but once the EP is done, Pat told me that we're going to be going on a small tour to promote it. Then back to the studio to record a full length after that. They've got all these plans and I've only just joined the band," John said.

"John," I complained.

"I know. I know. The tour will be about a month I think he said," John told me. I just cuddled up against him, and he wrapped me up in his arms.

"Oh. Who are you?" Jennifer's voice flowed through the air, and I found myself annoyed with her voice. John and I looked up, and I hugged John closer to me, as if she was going to take him away.

"I'm uh. I'm John. Katie's friend."

"BEST friend," I corrected, not looking up at either of them. John made a sound of agreement.

"Oh, well... it's nice to meet you, John. I'm Jennifer," she said.

"Go away," I muttered, half hoping she'd hear me, half hoping she wouldn't. I guess she'd left, so John made me sit up and look at him.

"Be nice to them, hear me? Do it for me," he said.

"Why? She's taking my life away from me with her stupid kids and her stupid fiance," I said.

"Babe, you just called your dad stupid," John said. I furrowed me eyebrows.

"Don't call me that," I said. John laughed and pressed a kiss against my forehead.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Because I'm not your girlfriend," I said. He just smiled and kissed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi. Kate seems like a bitch, doesn't she. Oh well.