Status: Active but with slow updates

Best Friends

4

It's been a week since I talked to John. I'd automatically told him to leave after kissing me, and I was left confused and upset.

It sounded like my dad and Jennifer had been arguing late at night about something, but whenever they got too loud, they'd go quiet again, so I wasn't able to determine what it was they were fighting about.

Until my dad came into my room while I was doing some homework.

"Hey.. I've something to tell you," he said. I heard the door click closed behind him, but I didn't turn around.

"You aren't getting married?" I asked in mock excitement. He sighed.

"No. That's not it. We aren't moving to Phoenix," he said, "we're moving to California." I froze and turned around, dropping my pen.

"What?" I asked. He nodded.

"Citrus Heights. We found a nice, affordable house. And you can finish up your high school year there after the wedding," he said. I couldn't say anything. Instead, I shook my head and turned back around, picking up my pen and continuing to work on my homework.

"Katelynn, don't give me the silent treatment. You're good at that," he said. I just sucked in my cheeks to keep myself from saying anything. He left after that, and the second he did, I rolled my chair over to my phone, and I called John. I just needed to talk to him.

"So. Now you want to talk to me. Huh. Guess the silent treatment is over," he said. I shut my eyes and took a deep, shaky breath.

"We're not moving to Phoenix, John."

"Shit. That's good then, right!?" He asked, his mood changing considerably.

"No," I said emotionless.

"Why...?" He asked.

"Because. We're moving to California instead," I said.

"Hold up. I'm coming over," he said. He then hung up, and I dropped my phone back on my bed, rolling back over to my desk.

"Can you believe him!?" Kyle's voice flowed through the room, causing me to turn around and raise my eyebrows.

"Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. California. Fucker," I muttered. Kyle just nodded and left. I shook my head, turning back around.

It was a long twenty minutes before John was huffing and puffing through my bedroom door, and I rose out of my chair to embrace him. I didn't care that he kissed me anymore. I'd be leaving for California soon anyway.

"You're gonna be gone and there's nothing I can do about it," John said, looking down at me. I just shrugged. He was right. There was nothing either of us could do. No amount of begging and crying was going to change my dad's mind. His plans were rock solid.

"Hey, Kate, your dad made lunch. Want anything?" Jennifer's voice made me frown and look over, and I stepped away from John to approach her.

"No, Jennifer. I really don't. And for the life of me, don't call me that again," I said. She raised her brows at me.

"Katie," John said. I glared at Jennifer.

"You really don't like me, do you?" Jennifer asked.

"I actually really despise you. But go ahead and say what you will. Bye," I said, and I forced my door shut.

"Kate!" John exclaimed.

"WHAT!? What am I supposed to do, John!? She's taking my life away by moving us to California! Am I just... supposed to be cool with it!? With ditching you and everyone else I've become friends with? Am I supposed to be okay with it? This witch just comes in one day and ruins everything!" I shouted, warm tears filling my eyes. John stared at me.

"Yeah, you are. Because that's how it's gonna happen. You're dad is in love with her, and they want what's best for you. Why can't you see that?" John asked. I shook my head.

"Them being in love doesn't mean absolute shit. What's best for me is not moving to California," I said. John scoffed.

"Then take hold of your life! Get a job to earn some money and buy an apartment! Not everything is fair, Katelynn. That's just the way it is, and if you have a problem with it, address it in a formal way instead of fighting about it. That's not the way things work. So, until you've gotten your selfish head out of your ass, call me so we can talk and hang out. But until then, you're gonna live and deal with it," he said. He left me standing in my room, and I sat down on my bed.

Fuck.

~~Two months later~~

John was constantly on my mind. We hadn't talked since that day, and I was upset about it. I was dealing with the situation, like he told me to, but I wasn't happy with doing so. With two months left until the wedding, we had started to pack up the things we hardly used into boxes. I wasn't particularly happy with having to do so, but that's just what it was.

I was very happy that Jennifer's kids weren't staying here all the time, for they had a house to pack up too.

I sat on the couch, staring at the blank television screen. I'd told my dad I didn't feel good, so I was home alone for the time being, and it was only eight thirty. He told me Jennifer would be stopping by to check up on me, but no matter how many times I told him she didn't need to, I couldn't convince him. She'd be coming over anyway.

But for now, I was planning on sitting in my lonesome.

When it was starting to near twelve thirty, I hadn't moved. However, I had tears streaming down my cheeks, and instead of wiping them away, I let them be. Even when the lock jiggled on the front door. Even when Jennifer walked inside and saw me sitting on the couch with my tear stained cheeks.

"Are... are you okay?" She asked me. I looked up at her, my gaze turning into a glare.

"What does it look like?" I growled, and I stood up and retreated to the kitchen, just to get away from her. However, she followed me, making me annoyed.

"Why don't you like me?" She asked. I grit my teeth as I opened the fridge for a distraction. Not finding anything satisfactory, I wheeled around and hard stared her.

"I don't like you because you've taken my dad away from me. We used to go out once every weekend for a father daughter lunch date. We haven't done that in two months. I don't like you because you're forcing me to move to California. I don't like you because your son is a fucking creep. And I don't like you because you annoy me. Do you understand now why I don't like you?" I asked, my voice breaking, and I let out a controlled sob as I ducked out of the room. I walked up the stairs, her following me.

"Katelynn... I didn't really mean to intrude on your life! I just-"

"Leave me alone. Get the fuck out!" I yelled as I reached the top step. I rounded the corner and entered my room, slamming the door shut.

I sat on my bed and wept. I missed John. In fact, I missed him too much. My heart ached for him; I just wanted him back. I tried to call him, but he didn't pick up, so I left him alone.

I laid down and cried myself to sleep.

~~

Monday at school was agonizing. John was ignoring me and avoiding me. It sucked. So when lunch rolled around, I was reduced to tears once more. When will the crying end?

"Hey Katelynn. Good to see you," drew approached me. I dried my face and glared at him.

"Leave me alone," I said, cowering against the wall I was leaning against. He shook his head and approached further. He pinned me against the wall, and I sucked in my breath.

"Get.. Get off of me," I said with shaky voice. He only laughed darkly.

"I think I'm good," he said, "but hey... meet me after school. I'll drive you home. I know you walked here, and I know that John isn't talking to you cause you've been a complete bitch to my mom." I struggled to push him off of me.

"Get the fuck off of me!" I yelled.

"Hey buddy! You heard her! Let up!" I was so relieved to hear John's voice. Drew let me go, and I stumbled over to John's side. He looked at me, and Drew left. John scoffed at me, then he went to leave.

"No! Don't!" I said, grabbing his hood on his jacket. He stopped and backed up, facing me again.

"I miss you," I told him. He shook his head.

"You miss me. Well, then fucking act like it," he spat. I looked at him in complete shock.

"John-"

"No. Stop. I'm not gonna listen to your bull-"

"John!" I yelled.

"What?" He asked angrily. I took a breath and leant up, pressing my lips against his, and automatically he pulled me against him.

"We can't do this, Kate! Stop!" John said after pulling away, but I kept trying to kiss him. I stopped, though I felt dumb now.

"Why?" I asked. He sighed.

"Because you're leaving in two months," he stated. I stepped back and slumped my shoulders.

"I'm sorry. I guess I'll just leave you alone and never talk to you again. Cool with you? Awesome," I said, and I turned and walked away.

"Katelynn!" He yelled after me, but I didn't look back at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh. Drama is dramatic. Haha this story is hardly even started and they've kissed like seven hundred times. Oh well.

Don't judge. I do what I want.

I'm not shutting up, you shut up.

Keep reading, y'all. I 'preciate it. :D