Status: I hope you enjoy!!

Prince of Blood

Stand

That morning was pretty normal. Woke up, got ready, bickered with my brothers, went to the Kardigans, ate breakfast, gawked at Austin, went to school, etc. etc.

Everything was average... Until History. History was better described as extraordinary than ordinary. I didn't try to have a conversation with Austin; He was in one of his moods.After he broke up with his girlfriends he was always irritable for a few days. Until he found a new one, which never took long. Austin sat next to me, with a look of strain and frustration on his face.
When Ms. Maket told Donnie to get the textbooks for everyone, Austin got up to sharpen his pencil. It was hard to stare at him from the back of the room, but I managed.
Which is why I was able to see everything that happened. Austin was sharpening his pencil apathetically.
Donnie was getting the books.

The next, seemingly insignificant, event caused my life to spiral out of control.

Donnie picked up the books for the class, too many. There was no was he could carry them all at once. As predicted, Donnie took a few steps, then the books slipped away and crashed to the floor. A few people snickered. Pain and desolation flashed across Donnie's face, so much that it startled me. Then in a lighting quick movement, Donnie pulled a guy out of his jacket.

"You think this is funny?!" He demanded, madness shining in his eyes.
Everyone's head swiveled around to face him. And they were all consumed by pure fear, even Austin looked shocked. Everyone was silent.

"On your knees! Everyone, on your knees!" Donnie commanded, his hands shaking.
Everyone obeyed. They all slipped out of their desks and slowly onto their knees. I did too. Everyone, but Austin of course. He stood, anger and worry masking his face.

"You too, Blondie! On your knees!" Donnie snapped, pointing the gun at Austin, who was a mere few feet away from him. Austin made a strange angry noise in the back of his throat, almost like a growl. His silver eyes briefly darted over to look at me. With my eyes, I begged him to cooperate with Donnie. He sighs, but slowly sank to his knees. Although, he didn't put his hands over his head like mostly everyone else.

Nearly everyone seemed terrified; I mean, the kid had obviously lost his goddamn mind. I mean, I knew he got picked on a lot, but I never would have thought that it was so bad that he would bring a gun to school. This was insanity! I had to get help. So, while Donnie was giving his 'never again' speech, I slipped out my cell phone behind my back. Texting by looking out of the corner of my eye: 'Kate help! A kid brought a gun 2 school! Call the cops! ASAP!'

"Hey, you!" I looked up. Donnie was staring daggers at me. I froze as he pointed the gun at me, aiming right at my chest.

"You think you can outsmart me?!" He demanded.
"Yes, yes I do." I said haughtily. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to say, but I didn't care. This crazy guy was going to decide whether or not to kill me on his own. Nothing I said or did was going to change that. If he decided to kill me, I wasn't going to die groveling.

"We'll see about that," He said, smiling sadistically.
"I guess we will." I said with an eerie calm that even I found very unsettling. I slowly rose to my feet; I was not going to die on my knees. Once I was up I didn't move, I didn't breath, I didn't even thing. Because if I let my mind function I would have realized that I was going to die. I braced myself.

"Put the gun down." Austin ordered. I looked over to Austin to see that he was back on his feet and was glaring daggers at Donnie.
"You can't tell me what to do! You think that just because you are the star football player and get straight A's means you get to call the shots? Well, now I'm calling the shots!" Donnie shouted.

"Just stop, Donnie." Austin growled. "You don't want to do this. You're not the killing type"
"You don't think I'm capable of that? I'll show you!!" Donnie shouted, aiming the gun at Austin.

Then he fired.

Some people screamed, and I had no idea whether or not I was one of them. I wasn't paying attention to anything my body was doing. I was too deathly afraid for Austin. All I could do was watch in horror as the bullet collided with Austin's arm. But there was no screaming, no blood, no death.

The bullet had bounced neatly off of Austin's arm.

My shocked thoughts were even more wordless than "Oh. My. God!"
They were more like: !!!!!!

Just wordless alarm. I watched as Austin bolted towards Donnie, knocking the gun out of his hand; It slid across the floor. Austin pulled Donnie's arms behind his back and then pinned him to the wall. Donnie struggled relentlessly, but Austin didn't budge an inch.

A few other guys got up and went to help Austin restrain Donnie, but I had a feeling that he didn't need any help. Two of Austin's buddies, football players, grabbed Donnie's arms from Austin and slammed him into the wall. Austin took a step back, staring at Donnie expressionlessly.

Everyone was dead silent for a few minutes. Mrs. Maket seemed frozen for a little while, but when she finally unthawed she went to Austin first.
"My god. Are you alright?" She asked, examining his arm. My guess was that she had probably seen the bullet him him, but had assumed she'd seen wrong when he didn't start rolling on the floor in pain.

"I'm fine." He muttered, pulling away. "He missed"
"Thank god." She said. "I should call the police."

"Don't bother." I said, looking over at her. "They are already on their way." Just as I said that a bunch of teachers, all male, burst into the room. Two of them, the gym teacher and the Biology teacher, grabbed Donnie from the football players. The others swarmed around, talking to Mrs. Maket and asking what happened. One of them picked the gun up off the floor and gently placed it on the counter. I noticed Kate peering in from the doorway. A moment later, cops arrived on the scene. I could hear them taking Donnie away outside. They others went around questioning everyone about what happened and one of them put the gun into an evidence bag.

The room was quickly filled with activity.

Police officers began to question everyone. Girls pushed past the cops questioning Austin. They all clung to his side, thanking him for saving their lives and commenting on how he was so brave and that they would just have to make it up to him. I snorted at them as Kate slipped inside and ran over to me.

"Oh my god, are you alright?" She asked.
"I'm fine." I said.

"What happened?" She asked.
"Donnie brought a gun to school and he was waving it around and ranting about how was in charge now and blah, blah, blah. So, I texted you and asked for your help. But he saw me. He was about to shoot me too, but then Austin started provoking him, and he fired at Austin. But, luckily it missed him." The last part was a lie.

I purposely left out the part about me speculating that Austin was bulletproof.
"He stood up to the gunman?!" Kate demanded. She didn't sound worried or admiring. She sounded furious.
"Uh, yeah?" I said, confused.
She just glared at Austin.

After being interrogated by the police, school was dismissed early. The parking lot was complete and utter madness. All my friends swarmed around me asking me if I was alright and what happened. Austin's football buddies approached him, congratulating him in a partially teasing way. And at least four girls were literally hanging all over him. Me and Kate were about to go to the car, but had to wait for Austin.

While we waited outside the Mercedes (not sitting on it) I listened to the girls clinging to Austin.
"Wow, that was so brave of you." Sarah gushed.
"Yeah, you like saved our lives." Tasha cooed.
"There has to be some way we can repay you." Dana purred, batting her eyelashes at him.

Kate was growing impatient.
She tapped her foot irately.
"Ey, lover boy!" Kate snapped sarcastically. "I know you have a lot of admiring girls to flirt with and fuck, but we don't have time for this. We need to go home."
"Go to hell." He told her.

"Seriously?" She hissed. "We have to go. Besides, mommy's favorite is going to have some serious explaining to do when we get home."
"First, you are just jealous that mom likes me better. Second, you are a spiteful bitch, and lastly, give me a minute." He said.

We waited while Austin said his goodbyes to his friends and detached himself from his admirers. Once he was finished we all got into the care.
"Why are you in trouble?" I asked Austin softly.
"Uh, umm," He stammered. "Cause I got a scratch on her car."
"Oh, okay." I said, pretending to buy it. The rest of the ride was unusually quiet. Kate was glaring daggers at Austin but he just stared ahead and pretended not to notice.
Whe we got to the Kardigan's house, Mrs. Kardigan was reading in the living room.

"Children?" She asked surprised. "What are you doing home?"
Kate fielded that one. "There was a shooting at school and Austin stood up to the gunman." She said with disgust.
Mrs. Kardign gasped, but regained herself quickly. "Becca, would you excuse us for a moment?" She asked smoothly.
I nodded. "Sure." I said softly.

Then all three of them disappeared into Mr. Kardigan's study. I waited a little while, but finally curiosity won over and I just had to find out what they were talking about. I tiptoed over to the door and pressed my ear to the door. I heard for hushed voice; Mr Kardigan must have been home early.

"What were you thinking!" Kate hissed.
"I was thinking that if he shot someone then there would be blood all over the place." Austin snapped back.
"But Austin, doing something that bold could tip off the humans." Mrs. Kardigan whispered.
"I know, mom," Austin sighed. "But I broke up with Julie yesterday, so I was insanely thirsty."

"Well...." Mr. Kardigan mused.
"Did Austin mention that he got shot?" Kate added cryptically.
"You what?!" Their parents demanded.
"Nobody noticed it hit me." Austin muttered. Ha! I knew it! So I wasn't crazy!
"You better hope not." Kate snapped.
"What is your problem?!" Austin demanded.
"My problem is that you could of exposed us all," Kate hissed, "And then the Council would find us!"
"I was saving your best friend!" Austin snapped. "I thought that you would be grateful."

"Well," Kat sniffed. "Some people would think that you did it for selfish reasons."
"Like what?!" Austin demanded.
"Well, I don't know, but going out of your way to please me isn't exactly in your nature." Kate sad coldly.
"Neither is saving lives," Austin growled. "And I did that today too! So there is a first time for everything!"
"Children! We will continue this discussion later." Mr. Kardigan said tightly.
"I'm still not sold." Kate muttered. "There is something going on with you."

I ran back over to the couch as fast as I could. The Kardigans came out a half second later; All wearing a different expression on their face. Mrs, Kardigan was smiling calmly and Mr. Kardigan's expression was carefully blank. Austin looked royally pissed and Kate looked annoyed.

Austin angrily snatched his keys from the coffee table.
"Where are you going?" Mrs. Kardigan asked politely.
"The school." Austin spoke in clipped angry sentences. "I have football practice. Be back later."
Then he stormed out of the front door.

"Sorry about that." Kate apologized, plopping down on the couch. "Mom was mad that Austin scratched the car."
"It's alright." I said, pretending to believe her story.
"So, what do you want to do?" Kate asked softly.
"Actually, I have to go take care of some things. I'll be back later." I said.

"Sure." She said, turning the TV on.
I left the Kardigan's house quickly and headed to the school. I didn't know why, but I felt this weird compulsion to go see what Austin was really doing there. As if it would explain the confusing context I had overheard. The context of their conversation made no sense at all to me, but I did understand on thing.

The Kardigan's were not human. Not at all. So, that raised one question. What were they?