‹ Prequel: Let's Waste Time
Sequel: Around Our Heads
Status: Complete

Chasing Cars

Thirty-One

A week later, Olivia went into labor, and we went to the hospital to see the baby. They let us in, and Olivia said I could hold him. They named him Alex, and he was like a little mini Oliva. I took him into my arms, balancing him on my stomach, and sat down on the chair beside her bed. He was small but longer than I imagined. His hair was dark, and his eyes were light. He was alert, awake, and looking around the room, making cute little baby noises.

I was dumbfounded. I was never really around babies very often. Like ever. But he was perfect and amazing, and I sat there thinking about my baby. I was surprised to find myself looking forward to giving birth rather than being afraid of it. And this is, of course, the moment my hormones got the better of me, and I sniffed back tears. Everyone in the room was casually pretending not to notice. They talked to each other, and though Olivia and Josh kept glancing at their beautiful little baby, they all left me alone. Everyone but Chris that is. He took the seat next to mine and wrapped his arm around me. He touched the baby’s head with his other hand and looked him over.

“He’s adorable,” he said. I nodded and sniffed.

“I know,” I replied with a whiney voice. “He’s perfect.” He pulled me close to him and kissed my temple.

“I have a feeling our baby will be cuter,” he whispered in my ear. “Just don’t tell Josh and Olivia I said that.” I laughed through my tears.

“Your secret is safe with me. No offense, little guy.” The baby didn’t care. But he looked hungry. He was smacking his lips a lot and doing movements like he was trying to go for my boob. “Uh—Olivia?” I said. She looked at me.

“Yeah?” she replied.

“I think he’s hungry.” I stood up and handed him back over to her. She smiled down at him like he was the greatest thing that had ever happened to her.

“Thank you,” she said. Chris nodded to me, and I followed him out of the room to give Olivia and Josh their space with their new baby.

Seeing how happy Josh and Oliva were with their new family made me even more upset. Because I suddenly realized how much I wanted it. I wanted Chris to be my husband, and I wanted us to be happy with our baby. I was just so afraid of hurting them.

One day I was just getting home from work when Chris called me.

“There’s a lasagna in here that neither of us made,” he told me. “We were wondering if you wanted to return it to its owner and possibly bring us dinner, so we aren’t tempted to eat it.” I grumbled.

“Rachel?” I asked.

“That would be my first guess, yes.”

“I’ll be right over. Anything you want specifically?”

“I don’t know. One of those mushroom burgers sounds nice.”

“I’ll get the usual. What about Vic?”

“Same. He’s a garbage disposal. He’ll eat anything.”

“Good.”

“Can’t wait to see you.”

“You’re only saying that because you’re hungry and tempted by lasagna.” He laughed.

“Food comes second after you, babe. I only told you about the lasagna, so you’d come over.”

“Sneaky, sneaky man.”

“You caught me.”

“I’ll be right there.”

“Kay, see you in a bit.”

“Bye.” I disconnected and got my keys again. Then I realized I had to pee, so I marched back into my apartment to use the bathroom before heading over.

When I got there, the boys were practically starving to death. I felt kind of bad for them because the whole apartment smelled like lasagna, and I was sure Rachel was actually a good cook. It made ME hungry too, and I didn’t even like her. They definitely had more willpower than I did. I put the bags onto the kitchen counter, and they both tore them apart like rabid dogs.

“Thanks,” they were saying, already stuffing their mouths full of fries. I smiled.

“Just doing my job,” I told them. Then I went to where the lasagna was on the stove in the same casserole dish she’d used before. It was covered in foil, so I removed it and examined the lasagna. It really did look tempting.

“What are you doing?” Chris asked as he leaned against the counter next to me. His mouth was full.

“Nothing,” I told him. Then I returned to the bag and grabbed a bunch of hot sauce packets. Chris froze mid-chew.

“Are you doing what I think you’re doing?” he asked as I tore one open with my teeth.

“I’m not doing anything.” Then I squeezed the hot sauce over the lasagna. I’d specifically asked for their hottest sauce. He just watched me as I ripped open another package. Maybe I was really mean. Maybe it was hormones. I don’t know. Maybe she even liked spicy lasagna. All I know is that I was being a bit too territorial, and I should probably stop. But I didn’t.

“All done,” I said cheerily, putting the foil back on.

“You wicked, wicked woman.” I smiled and took the lasagna. Then I marched up the stairs and left it on the colorful welcome mat out front of her door. I went back downstairs without ringing the bell.

“Did you hand deliver it to her?” Vic asked as I crossed the room to retrieve my burger.

“No, I just left it for her. Hopefully, she gets the message.”

“To some, that might be interpreted as a threat.”

“If she didn’t take ‘back off’ as a threat, then I don’t know what else I can do.”

“Just keep an eye on your car.”

“She wouldn’t dare. I’d kill her.” I sat down on the couch next to Chris, who was already almost finished with his burger.

“I think I might have found a few places,” he told me.

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, you can come check them out with me if you want.”

“When?”

“I have an appointment tomorrow, and there’s a few others I’m looking at next week when I have the time.”

“I don’t know. Just depends on what I’m doing. Let me know.”

“Alright, I will.”

After we ate, Chris and I got cozy on the couch for a while. But I had to work in the morning, and I had heartburn, so I wasn’t really in the mood to stay the night. He walked me out to my car and kissed me for a long time.

“I miss you,” he told me.

“I miss you too,” I said.

“I’ll call you tomorrow. Text me and let me know you got home okay.”

“I will.”

“Love you.”

“Love you too.” He kissed me again and finally let me go.