‹ Prequel: Let's Waste Time
Sequel: Around Our Heads
Status: Complete

Chasing Cars

Five

When the alarm went off the next morning, Chris rolled over and turned it off lazily.

“Unh,” he said. I rolled over to spoon him. I ran my hand down his body and kissed his back.

“I think if we hurry, we’ll have a little time before work,” I suggested.

“I don’t think I can.” This was amazing. Chris ALWAYS could.

“Didn’t sleep well?”

“We had so much sex that my balls are bruised, and I’m exhausted. I don’t think I can even run today.” Chris ran even when he was sick.

“Aw, c’mon. I only woke you up once.”

“It was definitely more than once.”

“But it was fun, wasn’t it? And you never say no to morning sex.”

“I’m gonna have to this time. I don’t think I can handle it. Maybe later.”

“Ugh, fine.” I rolled off the bed and went to get ready for work.

When I returned to the room later, he was still exactly where I left him. His hand was even still on the nightstand, but his mouth was open, and he was snoring softly.

He managed to stay asleep the entire time I frantically searched the room for clothes to wear. I made another mental note to do laundry. Then I remembered Chris was supposed to have practice. So I went to the kitchen to get him a cup of coffee. Then I came back and set it down on the nightstand by his hand. I sat beside him and ran my hand up and down his bare back.

“Babe?” I said.

“Unh,” he replied. His eyes didn’t open. His hand didn’t even twitch. He didn’t even close his mouth.

“You’re supposed to have practice today, remember?”

“Fuuuuck,” he said slowly. I smiled.

“Was I really that rough on you last night?”

“Last night. And this morning. You were unhinged. I was actually afraid of you.” I laughed.

“You’re exaggerating.”

“Maybe a little. But I really haven’t seen you like this before. You couldn’t get enough of me.”

“I guess it just builds up when you’re not home.”

“Never like this.”

“And you’re so hot when you don’t shave. God, look at that ass.” I lifted the blanket to look down at it. He didn’t even move.

“You’re going to be the death of me.”

“You’ll survive. I have to go.” I kissed him quickly and turned to leave. I made it all the way to the bedroom door before he spoke again.

“Did you eat?” he asked.

“Shit,” I replied.

“Ugh.” He pulled himself up and sat slouched, glaring at me with sleepy eyes.

“I’ll grab something on the way.”

“I don’t trust you.” He stood up and then turned around in a circle as he looked for something to put on. Then he glanced at me again. “You’re staring at me.”

“You’re naked.” He pulled on a pair of underwear. “Damn.”

“Have a bowl of cereal at least.” He passed me to go to the kitchen. I watched his cute butt as he walked in nothing but his undies.

“I don’t have time.” I followed after him.

“Fine. Here.” He took an apple off the bowl on the bar and handed it over. I groaned as I took it. Then he pulled a five out of our change jar and handed that over too. “I’m texting Al to make sure you have food when you get there. If you don’t, I’m coming to make you.”

“Ooo, that sounds fun.” He gave me a sly smile, clearly more awake now that he had time to glare at me.

“I’m just looking out for you, babe.” I smiled back. Then I walked around the bar to give him a quick kiss on the lips.

“I have to go. I promise I’ll get something on the way.” I grabbed my keys and made it to the door. Then I remembered that I left my car at work. “Shit,” I said, turning back around. Chris was leaning against the bar with his arms crossed over his chest and a knowing smile on his face.

“Forget something?” he asked.

“I need a ride.” He nodded once and disappeared into the room to get dressed. “Hurry up!”

“I am. I am. Sheesh.” He came back out in a red hoodie with shorts and sneakers. His hair was still ruffled from sleep and our apparently wild sex, and he hadn’t shaved in a few days. He looked really, really sexy. So when he got to me, I wrapped my arms around his waist. Then I squeezed his butt and kissed his lips. His eyebrows rose again.

“I don’t know what’s gotten into you lately,” he said when I pulled away.

“You,” I reminded him. He smiled again and kissed me.

“You’re going to have to give me some time to recharge.”

“Well, hurry it up, will you?”

“I’m working on it.” He opened the door and led me down to the car parked on the street.

Since he wanted to make sure I ate, he went through a drive-thru and forced me to get a breakfast sandwich. I wasn’t complaining about it because it was delicious, and I was apparently starving. Finally, he dropped me off out front of the comic book shop with a kiss. I hopped out of the car and strolled inside.

I was humming to myself when I stepped in. Then I forgot the song halfway through and hummed something else. Only Albert was in since everyone else was working. The store was usually pretty deserted in the morning. There was just an old man in a Spawn shirt looking through a case of collectibles.

“You look happy this morning,” Albert said from behind the counter.

“I’m happy every morning,” I told him.

“Yesterday, you came in here with guns blazing like Clint Eastwood on steroids.”

“Yesterday, the shop was a mess.”

“You haven’t seen the back yet.” He motioned toward the back and flipped through the catalog on the counter. I sighed heavily and put my hands on my hips.

“I knew I couldn’t leave you guys alone for one day.”

“You’re not mad?”

“Why would I be mad?”

“Yesterday, you were screaming at us like Banshee.”

“Like a banshee as in the creature or Banshee from X-Men?”

“X-Men, obviously.”

“That’s what I thought. Sorry about that. I was just starving.” His eyes narrowed. I moved to the other side of the room to assess the damage in the back. I leaned against the door jamb and sighed again. “It’s not too bad.”

“You NEVER apologize,” Albert said from behind me. I turned to look at where he was standing behind the counter, still holding onto the catalog but now with a shocked expression on his face.

“Sure, I do.”

“No. Never. Not once.”

“That’s such an exaggeration. I apologize all the time.”

“Never.”

“Ugh, just shut up.” I went to find the broom so I could clean up the mess.