‹ Prequel: Bulletproof Love

You're the One Who Shot Me

Chapter Ten

Kellin

"Oliver!" I shout. I had been trying all morning to get him to take a bath.

"What," he whined.

"Get in the shower," I tell him sternly, placing a hand on my hip and pointing to the bathroom door. He stayed laying on my bed. "Oliver! We have to be at your mother's in two hours! Get in the shower."

"No."

I huff, but take a deep breath to calm myself down. "Alright, fine. I'm going to shower first. I expect you to shower afterwards."

He sits up and smirks my way, "I could always join you."

"Oliver," I gasp in offense. I grab a pillow from one of the couches in the room and throw it at him.

"Hey!" He shouts, indignant, and holding the pillow.

"No. Bad boy!"

"Bad boy? I'm not Oskar!"

"Yeah, Oskar's actually a good boy. Now, I'm going to shower. You better shower afterwards."

"Fine, fine," he sighs. I send him a glare once more before walking into the bathroom. I lock the door behind me, it wasn't that I didn't trust Oliver, I just...

I get undressed and turn on the showerhead where I climb in when the water's hot enough. The water glides down my body, soaking it. I grab for the shampoo when my hair is wet enough, but don't bother turning the water off.

Then I grab the sponge and soap and begin to cleanse my body. I let the water wash it all away. Then I turn the shower head off and step out of the shower, grabbing my towel and drying myself off before I realize I didn't bring my clothes.

Fuck... I sigh and wrap the towel around myself before opening the door slightly. "Oli?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know," I see him appear at the door way. "Um, actually, I need you to get my clothes."

His eyes scan my body and I blush before he nods. "Yeah, okay. What is it?"

"It's on top of the dresser. I had picked it out earlier." He nods and I see him walk to the dresser and pick up the clothes I had carefully folded. He hands them to me and I take them before closing the door.

I let the towel drop and I stare at myself in the mirror. Worthless was still a very obvious scar on my body and I made sure to cover it when I opened the door for Oli. No one was to know about it or how I got it. They would open wounds I'm not ready to open.

I put on my underwear. Then the khaki's and a button up. It was different from my usual attire, but it was Oli's mom I was meeting. It felt right to dress formally. I walk out of the bathroom and Oli was still laying on the bed. "You can shower now."

He nods and sits up, but he freezes when he sees me. "You-You look beautiful."

I smile bashfulky, "Thank you." He kept staring at me and I blushed again under his gaze. I lower minr and look down. "Oli?"

"Oh, right. I'll be back." He walks into my bathroom and it's not long before I hear the water running. I busy myself by putting on my shoes and then making the bed. I walk to my dresser and begin to look through all the colognes and perfumes they had and pick one with not a strong scent.

I brush my hair and then run a hand through it to make it look natural. Then I wait for Oliver to walk out, but I hear scratching at the door and when I open it, I see Oskar and Luna. They begin to run circles around me and I laugh.

I play with them as I wait for Oli to walk out and I can't help but think about how much the kids would have loved to have a pet or pets. Especially Rowan, he had Timmy for a reason. How I missed them, but I was grateful they didn't have to endure what I'm enduring. They were safe back home. With Vic.

I sigh sadly as I hear the door open. As I turn around, I expect Oli to have already had clothes on, but he was just in a towel. I squeal and turn back around. But I felt myself get hot when I saw his naked chest. He was broad and big and strong, covered in tattoos. I could only imagine what it'd feel like to have his hard chest over my chest.

Kellin! No! You're engaged! I take a deep breath before speaking. "Oliver! Why aren't you clothed?"

"I don't know what to wear." I sigh and turn to face him. "Follow me." I walk out of my room and walk into his, the dogs and him following. I walk to his closet and begin to rummage and look through it.

I find some black slacks, a white button up, and a black blazer. As I turn to hand them to him, I bump into his chest And his chest was just as hard as I imagined. Kellin! "Here." He takes them. "Did you grab underwear?"

"Yep." I nod and begin to walk away when I see him drop his towel. "Oh, my God!" I squeal and cover my eyes before turning away. "What is wrong with you?"

I hear him laughing. "Nothing." I don't dare turn back around until a good ten minutes have passed. But I turn back just as he's putting on his blazer and he looked so handsome. He looked sophisticated and proper. He looked like someone from a magazine. He looked nothing like a gang leader. I rush to his closet and hand him some dress shoes. "Put these on."

And when he's done, I smile. "We're good to go. The cheesecake I made should be cooled off by now, so let's just grab that and go."

"I think you're exaggerating, love." I tense up at the nickname and it doesn't look like he noticed what he called me. I shake it off, "I am not. You haven't seen your mother in who knows how long. We have to make an impression."

"Kellin, it really doesn't matter what she thinks."

"It actually does. She needs to think you at least wanted to see her. Now, come on. I need to grab a jacket."

"It's fine. I'll grab one for you. You get the cake."

"Thank you." And I rush down the stairs into the kitchen, thanking the people who compliment me along the way. I open the fridge and pull out the cheesecake. It looked and smelled amazing and I'm glad the gang members had held themselves back as promised. I cover it with aluminum foil.

But they all begin to crowd around. "Come on, Kellin. Are you sure we can't have one bite?"

"No, Matt. This is for Oli's mom."

"But it looks so good! Who cares about Oli's mum?"

"I do."

"You guys heard him," Oli says, saving me and I walk to his side. He's ushering me out and I call over my shoulder, "I'll make you one when I get back!" I vaguely hear them cheer.

I turn back to face Oli and see he had a jacket thrown over his shoulder. "Thank you."

"For?"

"The jacket."

"It's no problem, Kellin."

I smile at him and we reach a car. Looking around, I noticed we're on an open field. It looked like there wasn't a city for miles, just fields. It was actually very beautiful. But the weather was changing. The grass was dying, the trees losing their leaves. The birds were migrating and the wind was picking up. That's why I needed a jacket, it was getting colder.

Oliver opens the door for me and I climb in. "Thank you." I put my seat belt on and Oli then climbs in in the driver's seat. He begins to drive and I almost had a heart attack when I saw him drive on the wrong side of the road until I remembered how things were in England.

We drove for a good while because we reached the city and he finally pulled up in front of a mansion. My mouth dropped. It was a beautiful house. It looked to be three stories tall. The driveway was one that curved around and there was a valet who took the keys from Oli.

The front door steps stretched out as big as the fountain. The house was help up by pillars. It was all white and clean. The garden up front and bushes were well maintained. It was all so intimidating.

"Now I'm nervous."

"Don't be. She usually only ever insults me. Dad usually just sits quietly, sometimes standing up for me, sometimes no." He sighs sadly. I grab his arm and stop him from walking. He gives me a curious look.

I lift a hand to his face and smile softly. "It'll be okay." He gives me a sad smile. "Hopefully. Now come on, Carol is an impatient woman."

I nod and we begin walking again. We reach the massive doors and he rings a doorbell. We wait patiently and what seems to be a butler opens up. "Master Sykes. I didn't think you'd be joining us today."

"Neither did I," he murmurs and I jab him with my elbow. He sucks in a breath and I continue smiling as if nothing had happened. The butler smiles back. "Hello, I don't believe we've met."

"No. I'm Kellin."

"You're American! Oh. Haven't met many of those. Come in, come in. Your family is in the dining room, Master Sykes."

He opens the door wider and we walk in. "Would you like for me to hang that coat up, Master Sykes?"

"Yes, please and thank you." Oli hands him the sweater and the butler is scurrying off. "Come on. The dining room is this way." He leads me down a hallway before making a left and there stood one of those long tables you only see in movies.

"Kellin! Oli! I'm so glad you could make it," Tom is rushing towards us and he hugs me, careful of the cake in my hands. I laugh silently. "Hey, Tom. I told you we'd make it."

He nods and turns his attention to Oli who softens at his brother. "Hello, Tom."

"Hi, Oli! Come on, come on!" Tom begins to pull Oli closer and I follow after them. As we reach the table, I see an older man at the head chair and an older woman beside him. She was dressed accordingly and strikingly. Her hair was turning gray, but it worked with her brown hair as she had it in curls and it looked like highlights.

The man was a bit heavier, but he was dressed in a suit. His head was all white, but he managed to look handsome. He had some glasses perched on his nose and he had a watch on his wrist that looked to be gold. I knew who Oli came out more like.

"Son, I'm so glad you could make it."

"Thank you, Father," he turns to face his mom. "Carol."

"Oliver."

They at one another until she flits her eyes towards me. "Who's this?"

"I'm Kellin, ma'am."

"American? Hmmm, you don't fit the picture, but I guess you can't all be fat and disgusting." My mouth slightly drops, but I close it quickly. I feel someone place their hand on the small of my back and place the other on my waist. I turn to face Oli who was dead set on glaring at his mother.

"Oli," I whisper. "It's fine."

He lowers his gaze to me and leans in to my ear. "It's really not."

"Why don't you guys take a seat?" Tom says, breaking the awkward tension. Oli nods slightly and pulls out a chair for me before sitting beside me, farthest from his mother. I place cake on the table. "Oh, Kellin, what did you bring?" Tom asks.

"I baked a cheesecake."

"Ooh! I can't wait!"

"Yes, can't wait to gain all those calories." Oliver, who was holding his glass, tightens his hold on it in anger. No one spoke and I knew Oli wanted nothing more than to leave. I was sat in front of Mrs. Sykes who was sat beside her husband. To her right was Tom who sat in front of Oli.

It was an awkward and tense silence and no one spoke, not even Tom. I played with my hands beneath the table. Finally the food arrived and I thanked those who served me. "Oliver, are you still a vegan?"

"Yes."

"How do you get your protein?!"

Oliver sighs heavily. "Lentils exist, Carol, so do beans and oats and grains, and brocoli. And all those protein bars exist." Mrs. Sykes scoffs. We all begin eating quietly until Mrs. Sykes speaks again.

"So, Kellin, how do you know my son?"

"Well - "

"Oh, you'll love it, mum! Kellin here is Oli's captive! Isn't that so romantic?!"

She wrinkles her nose in disgust, "Quite."

"Why did he take you?"

"My fiancé is another gang leader."

"Which gang?"

"Pierce the Veil." Mr. Sykes chokes on his drink. "Are you alright, sir?"

"Yes, yes. But did you say Pierce the Veil?"

"Yes, sir."

"Victor as the leader?"

"Victor Junior now."

"And you're engaged to him?"

"Yes, sir."

"My boy, you must have some of the worst luck in the world."

"One could say so."

"Well, enough gang talk. Oliver, who are you currently seeing?"

"No one, Carol." I eat quietly beside him. The food was quite delicious.

"Why ever not? I want grandkids."

"Trust me, if I ever do have kids, you wouldn't be allowed to see them." She gasps.

"Oliver!"

"Yes?" He said it so lackadaisically.

"How dare you - "

"Oh, would you look at that? It's time for desert." She glares at him and he glares back. I reach for Oli's hand beneath the table and give it a firm squeeze. He turns to look down at me and his face softens.

"I can see what's happening here."

Oliver and I break our gaze and turn to face a smiling Tom. "What?"

"And they don't have a clue."

I give him a confused look, "Are you quoting the Lion King?"

"You bet I am."

I laugh silently, smiling at Tom. "My, what a beautiful smile." My head turns to face Mrs. Sykes. "You have a beauitful smile." I was frozen in shock but I snap out of it, "Oh, thank you."

I turn to look at Oli and he looked just as shocked. My grip on his hand tightens. Our interlocked fingers our only source of communication. We watch as the servants come to whisk our plates away. I was as they bring our desert and begin to pass it around. I take one gratefully.

But Oli doesn't. "No, thank you. I actually want to taste Kellin's cake." Mrs. Sykes watches him. "I shall have some as well. I'd love to see how average it is." My mood saddens. I can take slurs against me and my being American, but I actually made that cake for her.

Oli's hand tightens around mine. I feel him lean into my ear. "Don't listen to her. We both know how amazing your cooking is." I give him a small smile when he pulls back and nod.

The servant - servant? - serves both Mrs. Sykes and Oli some cake. Oli takes a forkful and smiles. "Delicious, as always," he whispers in my ear. I blush lightly.

I take a bit of the desert in front of me. It looked like banana pudding with vanilla bread and whipped cream. It looked divine. I take a spoonful and smile. It was delicious. I look up just as Mrs. Sykes is about to try my cheesecake. I bite my lip and my nails dig into Oli's hand. He looks my way before moving his gaze to where I'm looking.

Everyone stops eating and just watches Mrs. Sykes. I watch as she brings the fork to mouth and closes her lips around it. Her eyes widen and she looks up at me in astonishment.

"How is that possible?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Where did you learn to cook like this?" Don't remember. Don't remember. Kellin! Do not remember! But I couldn't help it. I'm taken back to my childhood, back with my uncle, back in Hell.

Kick.

Kick.

Spit.

Kick.

"You useless motherfucker, I told you to have dinner ready for me everyday." I lay in fetal position on the ground trying to stop my tears from coming. It was no use, though, I was in so much pain.

"I'm sorry. But I-I don't know how to cook, uncle."

He sends one sharp kick to my hip. "I don't care what you can and can't do. When I tell you to do something, I expect it to be done."

"But - " slap! Then he grabs my face and leans in real close, just glaring at me with so much hatred and malice.

"Listen here, boy. I told you that you were suppose to have dinner ready for me when I get home. You didn't. You got punished. I expect next time to be different, or I won't go so easy on you, got it?" I nod fearfully, more tears building up in my eyes. He nods and then pushes me back.

He gives my bloodied body one look of disgust before sneering, "And make sure to clean up this mess!" Then he walks off. But I hear him whisper, "Worthless," once before leaving.

I felt tears building in my eyes. Vic, I need you to save me from the ones that haunt me in the night. I wanted the memories to stop there, but they wouldn't. They just wouldn't stop.

"You piece of shit! You're trying to poison me!" He pushes me to the ground.

"No, uncle! I told you, I can't cook. Please. I'm trying my best." A punch to the face.

"Your best isn't enough. I said cook, and that doesn't taste like cooking. You better learn how to cook fast because I'm getting tired of beating your pathetic ass, Kellin. God, you're so fucking useless! Now I know why both your parents didn't want you!"

That hurt more than anything he could have ever done to me. And in that moment, I had wanted to die.

"Kellin!" I snap out of it and look up around me. Everyone was looking at me worriedly. I was embarrassed and ashamed. I get up hurriedly and run off somewhere into the mansion. I vaguely hear someone calling my name.

I run down the hall, making random turns. Trying to get out of there. I reach a massive door and I pull it open with great difficulty before I realize it leads to a garden in the backyard. I pull it back to close it.

I keep running and I hear the door being opened again. I get lost in the vineyards and trees, the paths lightened with lanterns hanging from poles. I find a solitary bend and sit there, digging my face into my hands. "Forget, Kellin. Just forget it. You can do this. Forget all about him."

"Kellin?"

I sit up and look around. Oli stood beside a tree, looking at me worriedly. He walks to the bench and takes a seat next to me. I look away from him and sigh. He wraps an arm around me and pulls me close. "Are you alright?"

"Yes."

He moves away and cups one of my cheeks, "Love, are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah."

"Kellin, please, you're crying." I didn't know what to say. I bring one of my hands to my face and just as he said, I had tears staining my cheeks. "I-I was crying?"

"Yes. Please tell me what's wrong."

"It's nothing."

"Nothing doesn't just make someone cry."

"Please, Oli. Can we just go?" I beg him with my eyes and he sighs, I knew in defeat.

"Okay. Let's go tell my family." I nod and we do. We had walked back into the house. He had lead us back to the dining room where I knew his family had been talking about me. He dismissed us and told them they could keep the cake while I just stood attached to his side. I didn't want to let him go.

We walk to the car. He had placed my jacket over his shoulder. I hold it up with my hands and climb into the car when he opens the door for me. The drive back was silent.

We arrive and he helps me up the stairs before taking me into my room. He stays with me as I change - not looking, of course - and tucks me into bed. "If you ever need anything, I'm just next door. Please, Kellin, don't be afraid to ask for help. I'm here for you." Then he pecks my forehead before walking out of my room.

I tossed and turned, but I couldn't get comfortable. I needed to get away from here, from Oliver. He was no good for me. He ruined my life. He was ruining my life. I sit up in bed anxious and defeated.

I climb out and walk out of my bedroom. "I'm going to the kitchen," I tell one of the guards before I walk down the stairs. And as I had said, I walk into the kitchen. I grab the gallon of milk and pour myself some.

Then I stick it in the microwave, heating it up before adding sugar and honey. I walk to the patio window and open it, taking a seat on one of the lawn chairs and I just look up at the night sky, drinking my milk slowly, quietly and calmly.

I had finished it and placed the mug on the patio table. I stand up and walk back inside placing the mug in the sink before walking back out and walking to the edge of the deck. I lean against the railing and look out.

Nothing but open land until a good five miles away that a forest begins. Oli's parents house was the other way, away from the forest. I take a step down from the deck touching the grass with my foot. Then I bring my other one down.

Then I run.

I don't stop running. Not even when I feel like my lungs were going to collapse. Not even when I feel something jab into my foot. I don't stop. Not until I'm the forest.

I run against branches scraping and scratching my skin. I give a small gasp of surprise when a branch catches my hair, but I keep moving. And then I see someone. He held a phone and he says something into it when he sees me.

I run up to him. "Sir, please, help me. Please."

He nods, "Of course, of course. What do you need?"

"May I borrow your phone, please? I need to call someone. We're in England, right? I need to call to America."

"Of course, here. Use whatever you need."

"Thank you so much. You don't know how much this means to me." I take the phone and dial Vic's number, but before I could press call, something hits me on the head and I'm falling down. The man catches me and grabs the phone.

He begins to type furiously and I had assumed he was calling the ambulance. "Don't worry. This'll be over soon." And I had no idea what he meant. Maybe he was actually calling Vic. But Vic wouldn't be able to help here. Not now, anyway.

My vision was getting darker and I could feel my eyes closing, but I see him bring the phone to his ear. I could the other end ringing and just when it seemed like they wouldn't answer from the other side a voice picks up. I now knew it wasn't the ambulance. And I had no idea who this man was.

"Josh? Yeah, I got him."