Kendall

Trip

Okay, I must sit. All this thinking is exhausting me to the fullest. I find a Balloon Darts booth nearby and decide to sit on one of the stools they have. I run my hands over my face & my hair & let out a deep breath. “You alright there, mate?” I hear someone say. I lift my head up out of my hands and see a really cute dark haired boy with hazel eyes. I feel dazed for a sec while looking at him. I can tell by his outfit that he’s in charge of the booth. I straighten myself up & fix my hair. He’s still giving me a concerned look while I stare at him…

Me: Me? Uh, yeah. I’m fine. I guess

Boy: Good, cause I can’t have people start dying on me now. I’m so far only responsible for the balloons that pop and die and the darts that dart *drinks a cup of water he has on the side*

Me: *I smile weakly at his accent & look down at my feet*

Boy: *notices how unhappy I am* Whadya say, wanna play a round of Balloon Darts to lighten the mood up here? *he looks at me closely with his pretty eyes*

Me: *I look back up at him, still smiling weakly*

Boy: *grins* You up for the challenge, mate?

Me: *I give him a clever grin* Bring it, mate

Boy: *laughs & grabs some darts for us to throw*

After I played a few games with him, we ended up just talking until it was closing time for the Carnival. So far I’ve found out his name is Tommy, and that he’s from Australia, and must I say that he’s on the attractive side. After he finishes cleaning up a bit, he pulls out a deck of cards & holds them out in front of me.

Tom: Pick a card

Me: Aw man, not this trick

Tom: Come on mate, you know you really want to *he gives me a crooked smile*

Me: *I give him a teasing look* First of all, I have a name, and it’s not mate. How would you like it if I called you mate?

Tom: How would you like it if I told you you already did *smirks*

I stare at him for a second then reach forward & I grab his deck of cards from his hands & I walk away from the booth. He comes out from behind his booth & I laugh while he tries to take them from me. We face each other when he puts his hands on mine. We stare at each other; he gives me a shy smile while I try not to blush.

Tom: I’d like to have my cards back Mr. Kendall

Me: As you wish, mate *I hold them out & he grabs them quickly & gives me a second look*

Tom: Quit being such a dag *puts his cards into his pants pocket*

Me: A dag?

Tom: Another word for goofball that you Yanks go on about here

Me: Oh. Well then I’m slightly less offended

Tom: *chuckles*

Me: So where are you from? *I rest my arm on the booth’s counter & he joins me*

Tom: The Land Down under, mate. Australia

Me: OH—well that should have been obvious, pfft. Sorry, I’m a little off tonight

Tom: No worries *smiles & nudges my arm* I saw you earlier with that root rat pashing on you; she your girlfriend?

Me: My what—and she’s what?

Tom: *shakes his head & laughs* Nevermind

Me: Okay…well she isn’t my girlfriend, if that’s what you’re wondering

Tom: Oh, but two seemed to be having such a spiffy time together!

Me: I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic or—?

Tom: *snorts*

Me: *I laugh at his snort* But uh, yeah, we were set up by a friend of mine

Tom: Oh those set ups are pretty spiffy too, aren’t they?

Me: Oh tooootally *I roll my eyes* Man this V-Day blows

Tom: *gives me a sad look & taps my wrist* I’m real sorry bout that, mate

Me: Thanks, mate

Tom: *cracks up at my nonchalant response*

Me: *I give him a second look* Actually, hanging out with you sorta really made up for this shitty day

Tom: *nods his head slowly* I’m glad I could help *smiles at me* And sooo you’re not dating anyone now?

Me: Nope; hence my aloneness.

Tom: Aw, no need to get the shits, my new friend

Me: *I say to myself* Well that doesn’t sound pleasant *I turn to him slowly* Can you…keep a secret?

Tom: *tilts his head at me* Depends on the secret

Me: Okay. Well…so…the reason it didn’t work out with that girl tonight…is because…she’s…well…I…

Tom: You fancy blokes?

Me: *I stare at him*

Tom: Boys? As you Americans would say

Me: *I give him a shy look* Well you’re not wrong, I’ll give you that *I panic for a sec* Wait, am I that obvious?

Tom: *chuckles* Kendall. You stand out like a shag on a rock

Me: *I blush at his comment*

Tom: Aaand I might also fancy the blokes myself, so that may have helped my guessing a tad

Me: *I raises my eyebrows at him* Well now that’s just cheating

Tom: Mmm, no I don’t think so *pokes my arm*

Me: *I shake my head & laugh at him*

Tom: You know, this whole night I’ve been trying to figure you out

Me: Looks like you did *we stare at each other for a second*

Tom: And don’t worry, your secret’s safe with me

Me: *I give him a weak/worried look then stare down at my feet*

Tom: You know…in Aussie slang, boys like us are called “Poofs” *nods his head*

Me: *I give him a weird look then laugh a little* Poofs? I like that better than the American word for it

Tom: I can tell—cause you can’t even bring yourself to say the bloody word

Me: *I sigh* What can I say, I’m new to the poof world…if it wasn’t obvious

Tom: No worries. And at first when I saw you my poof-dar did go off a little. Buuut it may have just been wishful thinking *shrugs & gives me a flirty look*

Me: Oh… *I grin at him then look at my watch* Aaah, it’s getting late, I should probably get home—*I freeze & shake my head* Aaand I just remembered that my date that I ditched drove me here. Great!

Tom: *jingles his car keys*

Me: You wanna drive me home? *I smile*

Tom: Say please

We arrive at my house in his car & I ask him to park at the end of my drive way so my family won’t be as nosy.

Tom: This is your house right?

Me: Nope. It’s all lies

Tom: *hits the steering wheel* Bloody hell boy!

Me: *I crack up at him* Hey, thanks for the ride

Tom: No problem *gives me a toothy smile*

Me: *I snort out a little laugh then give him a sideways look* Hey uh…would you wanna try…going out…sometime? I mean, you don’t—we don’t have to—but…oh god am I doing this wrong? The car suddenly feels like its closing in—neeeed aaaair *I look around nervously* But please say something

Tom: *shakes his head & laughs* Well you’re still a bit of a Dag…

Me: And I know that’s a good thing *I point my finger at him*

Tom: *grins & taps the steering wheel nervously* What’s your favorite place to eat?

Me: Hmm…Buddy’s Pizza is pretty delish

Tom: Alright. I could pick you up if you’d like?

Me: That sounds…nice

Tom: I mean, it’s the least I could do…after you politely asked me out

Me: *I nod & look up* Thaaat is what I did. Well, tried to do, anyways

Tom: *crinkles his nose & smiles* I’m looking forward to it

Me: *I smile nervously at him* Me too *we were so close I started to feel lightheaded, but in a good way* Well uh, I should get going

Tom: *nods his head* I’ll see you later then

Me: *I get out of his car & wave at him*