Kendall

Time

As the months pass by quickly, Prom is JUST around the corner & then graduation isn’t too far after that!
It’s a Friday evening—also Tommy’s birthday—and I invite my friends over along with the birthday boy himself. We’re all sitting on the couch together watching T.V. I feel like talking to Tommy about Prom so I pull him into the kitchen, by his hand.

Tom: Everything alright?

Me: Uh, yeah. It’s just…Prom’s coming around the corner and…

Tom: *intertwines his fingers with mine* …You’re still not sure if we should go?

Me: *I look at our hands* I have no idea what we should do

Tom: Maybe we should go? To prove a point

Me: What point?

Tom: Oh I dunno, maybe the fact that we’re lovers and if anyone has a problem, then they can bug off *smiles & gives me a charming look*

Me: *I give him an excited look* We should go, right?

Tom: I think so!

Me: Alright. Let’s do it!

Tom: Well alright! *he hugs me & we get all giddy with laughter*

Ariana & Logan hear our excitement & they walk into the kitchen.

Ari: *grins* What’s goin on in here?

L: *follows in after Ariana* Did someone propose in here?

Tom: *laughs* Not quite

Me: *I laugh* Tommy and I are officially going to Prom together!

L: Dude that’s awesome!

Tom: Yeah we’ll show them *bumps my hip with his own*

Me: *I laugh & turn to Ari* Were you and Drew still going?

Ari: Nah, he kind of… moved on

Me: Oh, sorry bout that *I pat her arm*

Ari: *shrugs* Its okay

Kevin: *walks into the kitchen to eat some more cake*

Me: *I give Kevin an un-amused look*

Tom: *taps Ari’s wrist* Hey, I bet you I could find you a date

Ari: *reaches out dramatically & grabs his shoulders* COULD YOU REALLY?

Tom: YES

Ari: *lets go of his shoulders* Not that I’m desperate

L: Oh not at all *chuckles*

Kev: *walks by her & acts all snarky* Obviously

Ari: *slaps his arm a couple times*

Kev: Ow girl, watch it *walks out of the room*

L: *shakes his head* When is he not a dick?

Tom: *laughs*

Ari: Is that a trick question?

Me: *I crack up at them*

L: Yo, I’m thinking of bringing Mandy

Me: Smiley Mandy?

L: Yeah

Me: Uuuh? *I tilt my head to the side*

L: What? She was cool. And I’m running out of time to find a date!

Me: *I put my hand on his shoulder* Whatever you say bro

Ari: Yeah, she was…nice

L: GOOD, cause I’m gonna bring her

Tom: And we’ll support you on that, mate *winks at me & Ariana*

L: Thanks bud! *messes up Tom’s hair with his hand*

Tom: *whines at Logan & fixes his hair*

Later, after Ariana & Logan leave, I bring Tommy upstairs. I hold his hand & tell him to close his eyes as I guide him up the stairs to my room.

Tom: Can I open my eyes yet?

Me: Yup

Tom: Okay. It’s…your room?

Me: And we have it all to ourselves

Tom: *laughs & hits my arm* This is my surprise?

Me: YUP! Well, part of it. But I also wrote you a song

Tom: *blinks a couple times* Really?

Me: Really *I grin* Come on, sit

Tom: Alright, alright *sits down on my bed*

Me: *I grab my guitar*

Tom: Is there a certain way I should sit?

Me: *I shrug* Whatever way’s most comfortable for ya

Tom: *excitedly crosses his legs into a pretzel on my bed*

Me: *I find my guitar & walk over to Tommy & stand in front of him* This song is for you, Tommy. Cause you mean the world to me, and I wouldn’t wanna be with anyone else. This song is called ‘You that I love.” *I laugh nervously*

Tommy catches his breath & puts his hands into his lap as I start to play the guitar and sing the First Verse: “When I saw you, I knew it. When I kissed you, I felt it. I never thought anything would feel so right…but that moment with you. I can’t believe, can’t hide it, I like you, I mean it. All these words I sing are true.” I smile at him then sing the Chorus: “I can’t believe I found my one. When he smiles my whole body goes numb. And there’s no one else in this world that I’d rather be with now. It’s you…that I love…oooh.” I play a couple more verses then end the song and smile at him, seeing tears in his eyes.

Me: I love you Tommy

Tom: *stands up & hugs me close & whispers into my ear* Back atcha, mate

Me: *I start to tear up myself* I think we both know by now, that I’m just a wee bit more than your mate these days

Tom: *lets out a small laugh & fixes my hair* Looks like I’m going to have to think of something even BIGGER for YOUR birthday, huh?

Me: Oh stop it. You don’t have to do thaaat *I act bashful* Trust me, you being here is all I need

Tom: I can’t believe you *smirks & pats my chest still all giddy from my song*

We laugh then someone knocks at my door.

Me: Uuuh, come in?

Mom: Hi boys *waves at us* Tom, I got you a little something for your birthday

Tom: You did? *looks at me with a grin*

Mom: Here *hands him a small grey velvet box* Go ahead, open it

Tom: *opens the box & pulls out a ‘silver peace sign’ necklace & looks at my mom* Thanks Miss *hugs my mom*

Mom: I think peace is something that we all need a little more of in this world

Me: *I smile at her* Agreed

Tom: You didn’t have to buy me this beautiful—

Mom: Oh no, but I wanted to *pokes his nose then walks towards my door* Anyways, you two be good. I’m off to bed. Have a nice rest of the night *waves at us then goes to her room*

Me: *I laugh at her then turn to Tommy* Want me to help you put it on?

Tom: Sure

Kevin: *overhears us & pokes his head in*

Me: *I click the necklace in place around his neck, then I whip my head around* So…do you think our families can meet yet? Cause we have been going out for a while and stuff…

Tom: *gives me a nervous look*

Me: And you keep putting it off…

Tom: And there’s a reason why. It’s not you…it’s my parents. They aren’t exactly comfortable with the fact that I’m gay

Me: You mean being yourself?

Tom: *tilts his head at me annoyed* It’s complicated *sits on the edge of my bed*

Me: *I sit down next to him* Don’t you want to try and make it un-complicated? I mean, my Mom finally came around. I’m sure your parents will *I put my arm around him & rub his arm gently*

Tom: *looks at my hand on his arm* Mate, if I try anymore they may kick me out of my own house

Me: Well we can’t have that happen. Why would they do that? And to their own son? I don’t believe it

Tom: Lately, they’ve been ignoring me and just plain not wanting to have anything to do with me. It’s been more than 2 years since I came out and they still won’t accept me for who I am now and probably have always been *sighs after speaking so quickly*

Me: I accept you. Don’t worry; they’ll come around some day. I mean they just HAVE to. You’re amazing

Tommy turns to me & gently grabs the back of my head—knowing it makes me weak in the knees. I look at him with caring eyes to let him know everything will be okay.

Tom: Come here *pulls me in for a kiss*

I smile at him & we sit in silence for a few peaceful minutes—then decide to kiss some more & enjoy the rest of the evening together.