Kendall

My Calling

We arrive at The Crowne Plaza where the Prom is being held, and the place looks so beautiful! The Prom Committee really went all out; there’s lit up stars dangling from the ceiling, and white Christmas lights hung & draped everywhere—which gave the Prom a dream-like atmosphere. Tom & I look at each other with excitement. We eventually find Ariana & Logan, along with their dates. I bump fists with Logan.

Ari: You guys look great!

Me: So do you! *I look at her date & smile* You must be Julian?

Julian: You’d be correct

Me: I’m Kendall *I shake his hand*

Julin: Nice to meet you

Me: You to

Julian has a nice English accent. How charming. And he’s a looker alright; THAT’S for sure.

Tom: *grins & pats his friend on the arm* Fancy seeing you here, mate *laughs*

Julian: Seems like a pretty chill place

Tom: SO chill *grins at his friend*

Me: *I chuckle at them*

Mandy: Hi Kendall!

Me: *she startles me a little* Oh look it’s Mandy, everyone

Logan: *wraps an arm around her waist to pull her close*

Mandy: Doesn’t this place look AMAZE-ING?

Me: *I try to sound as enthusiastic as she is* It does! And so do you

Mandy: AWWW THANKS. So do you and your cute friend

Me: BOY-friend, actually *I smile at Tom*

Mandy: Really? O-M-G, that’s so fab!

Logan: I think its fab too! *says enthusiastically*

Me: *I give him a funny look & laugh* Appreciate the support, bud

Log: NO PROB, BRO *punches my arm jokily*

Drew and I see/acknowledge each other’s existence every once in a while during the night. I notice his date is Alison—my date for the V-day Carnival. Little awkward, but I’m happy for them. Finally, a slow song comes on & more people get onto the dance floor with their dates. Julian & Ariana seem to be hitting it off quickly. They look like they could be a legit couple. And then there’s Logan and Mandy…he really does seem to like her a lot. Tommy takes me out of thoughts, by gently grabbing my hand. I take a deep breath, waiting to see if anyone would notice us going to dance, but after a while, I was so caught up in the moment, I forgot to care if anyone was even watching us. And school was pretty much over—with Graduation left, though. So I guess everyone feels free in a sense tonight; with no worries. After our slow dance the music gets fun and upbeat again.

Tom: I love this song!

Me: *I yell over the loud music* Backstreet boys?!

Tom: *nods his head & dances to the song*
Me: Okay now you’re being the dag

Tom: *puts his hand on his chest & gasps loudly*

Me: *I laugh at him & join in dancing with him*

Julian: *twirls Ari around by her hand & pulls her close* So are you a fan of me, still?

Ari: *giggles & pokes his chest* I was a fan even before you spoke with that cute accent of yours

Julian: *laughs* Funny, I felt the same about you

Ari: *shakes her head & blushes*

Logan: You know, you look really beautiful tonight, babe

Mandy: Aw, well so do you hon. *fixes his bow tie*

Later, a fun dance song comes on & we all dance silly with each other. After that, we all take a break & sit together at a table & goof off. Logan & Mandy go back to dancing, while the rest of us still sit & talk.

Finally, the night ends & we all say our goodbyes, ready to see each other at Graduation—which is in a couple of days. Tom & I hold hands while walking out of the Plaza. It seems like most people have gone home. We go under one of the big oak trees together.

Me: *I turn my head to look at him* Hey, that’s a nice necklace you got there

Tom: Oh this knickknack? Yeah some bloke gave it to me. He was mad cute. Maybe I should call him, huh?

I shake my head & laugh at him, while giving him a playful push on his chest. He pushes me back, playfully.

Me: Hey, so you’ll be able to come to Graduation, Monday, right?

Tom: Of course!!

Me: *I smile* And I promise won’t miss yours! Which is…when again?

Tom: *snorts* Wednesday, ya dag *tickles my side*

Me: Ah, hey! *I try to dodge his tickle- attacks* Is that all I am to you; a dag? *I give him a sarcastic look*

Tom: *he laughs & pulls me in for a long kiss* You ready for me to take you home?

Me: Yup. I just need to find my ride *I look around at the parking lot*

Tom: *hits my arm*

Me: *I laugh & we decide to race to his car*

It’s now Monday: Graduation day! I finally get to move on & really live my life, and find out what I want to do with it. All of us “almost” Graduates’ are sitting outside in our chairs together, waiting for our names to be called to the stage. Drew’s sitting in front of me & I tap his shoulder.

Drew: *turns around & sees me* Hey dude! We’re finally graduating! WOOO! *gives me a high-five*

Me: TOOK us long enough!!

Drew: Bro right? I can’t wait to get outta this crazy place

Me: I second that

Drew: *pauses before speaking* Hey, you and your friend are still together, right?

Me: Yep. He’s here today, actually. Somewhere *I look around in the crowded audience behind us*

Drew: That’s nice. You two stay strong, alright?

Me: *I give him a warm smile* Thanks. And we will. By the way how are you and Alison?

Drew: Uh yeah—I broke it off. All she really wants to do is make out, like you said

Me: And you’re the straight one? *I crack a smile*

Drew: Dude I need oxygen and the crazy girl won’t give me 5 minutes of it!

Me: I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM*I laugh & cover my face with my hand* I’m gonna miss you, Drew

Drew: Aw don’t get all mushy on my account. We’ll still talk, for sure

We bump fists & he turns back around to listen to people’s names being called to the stage. I get a text from Ariana, telling me that she & Julian have been texting since the Prom. How awesome is that? And then I get another from Logan telling me how excited he is to graduate finally. He’s sitting further up from me near Ariana. I really am gonna miss seeing my friends’ everyday. When it’s my turn to go up for my diploma I smile at people who are clapping in the audience and I finally spot Tommy—the one who’s yelling the loudest—and I try my best not to blush in front of everyone. Once everyone got their diplomas, Principal Crowie congratulated us, & then we all threw our graduation hats into the air all excitedly. Good bye high school & hello to the real world!

THE END