Kendall

Crushin

I rush into my English classroom & find my desk. Mr. Hayes—my teacher—gives me a side eye and continues speaking to the class. All this month we’ve been reading the play: “Romeo & Juliet.” Mr. H. likes to give us parts to read out loud to the class. He gave me the part of Juliet, which I try oh –so- hard not to be offended by. Another boy in our class, Drew—who sits in the desk in front of me—got Romeo’s role. We’ve read a couple of pages so far, and I catch myself staring at his lips whenever he reads his lines. They’re so small and pretty; I can’t help admiring them for some reason. I could barley hear him speaking, because I somehow managed to drown out all the other sounds around me as I shifted my eyes up to his eyes; they’re a nice dark brown color to compliment his brown hair—wait, what am I doing—?

Mr. Hayes: Mr. Schmidt?

Me: *I look up at my teacher a little startled* Uhhh yes?

Mr. Hayes: It’s your turn to read

Me: UUUUH… *I look down at the book in my hand* Which page are we on…?

Mr. Hayes: *sighs*

Drew: Page twenty, buddy *gives me a small smile*

Me: Right, thanks *I put my hand to my head in embarrassment*

Page twenty…weren’t we on page eleven when we started, how long was I zoning out? I finally flip to page twenty and begin reading. After class ends, I start to wonder why I keep thinking about Drew in that way all the time. I’ve been doing it a lot lately, not just with Drew, but with other guys. Why do I keep doing this? It’s gotta stop. Maybe I should talk to someone about it—no cause then they’d know that I’m having these strange feelings and confusion, and no one wants to deal with any of that. UGH.

After last period I walked to my locker & prepared myself for what was to come next.