Kendall

Trouble

Almost everyday around the same time, I get harassed by my bully— Alex Frost—a.k.a. the biggest jerk-off in our grade and possibly the whole school. I never know what to say or do with this crappy situation. Before I can grab something out of my locker I get shoved to the right and get my back slammed into a bunch of lockers. This hazing all started last year, after I decided to go out with a girl that he apparently “had the hots” for, and since then, he’s held it against me. He likes to bully other kids—but I’ve been his main target lately. Sometimes I feel like he won’t stop harassing me until the day I die; which scares me. I feel Alex’s stupid rapid breath in my ear full of excitement to torment me.

Alex: Hey BITCH *looks at everyone & points at me* He’s my bitch. Where ya headed, bitch?

Me: Well, I was—

Alex: *screams* NOWHERE? That’s what I thought! *looks over at his “friends” and they all laugh along with him. They high-five each other*

While still having my back against the lockers I glare at him with a look of fear and exhaustion; I close my eyes and try to find my happy place. Sometimes I wonder how people can be so cruel, and what made them that way. Alex stops laughing, which means his friends automatically stopped too. He pretends to give me a punch. I flinch and they call me a pussy. Alex looks into my eyes, intensely.

Alex: I’ll let you off this time, pretty boy

Oh please, it’s not like I ever “get a day off” from his bullshit. He slaps my cheek playfully and walks away with his posse. I breathe heavily while people walk by in the hall & stare at me with wide eyes. I don’t know how much more of this I can take. I’m not some tough guy who gets into fights, but I know that’s what he wants. I see Logan and Ariana walk over like they do almost everyday. They’ve sometimes witnessed Alex tormenting me, but have no idea it happens everyday. I rub my cheek where he slapped me & walk back to my locker.

L: Hey man! Are you alright?

Me: Yeah, I’m just great

A: *raises an eyebrow* Ken…

L: Don’t tell me that asshole bugged you again?

Me: He didn’t

A: *tilts her head* Then what’s up with your face?

Me: *I turn around & smile a little* Well that’s not a very nice thing to say to someone, R

A: *puts her hand on my shoulder* Kendall, I’m serious *points at my cheek with her other hand*

L: *gets a closer look at my cheek* Whoa dude…

A: Ken, you should really tell someone—

Me: You guys, it’s not a big deal, really. I can handle it

L: Are you sure? Cause that doesn’t look so good *points at my cheek*

Me: I’m for sure, sure *I turn around back to my locker & pull out my history book for my homework tonight*

A: Listen, one day it might get real dangerous, and if you don’t tell someone—it’s just…I’m worried, okay? And I care about you, Ken

Me: *I rolls my eyes annoyed at her*

L: *points at Ariana* She speaks the truth, bud

Me: Listen, I got this. I can deal with it. This isn’t like when we were little, and would run to our “mommy” and expect everything to be fine. *I slam my locker shut So there. *I walk away from them feeling heated*

L: Well that went well

A: *sighs*

It’s nighttime and I sit on my bed playing my guitar trying to write a new song that I’ve been struggling to compos for what feels like forever. My mom peaks her head into my room…

Mom: I’m heading to bed, hon.

Me: Alright, love you

Mom: *smiles* Love you too, sweetie. Don’t stay up too late

Me: Yeah, yeah, yeah *I smile at her*

Mom: *laughs & shakes her head while walking to her bedroom*

I’ve been playing guitar for a while now. It helps me get through my hard times or to relieve stress; especially 5 years ago when Dad passed away in a car accident. That was a dark period for my family. Sometimes I feel like we’re a broken family because of the loss. There’s something missing and it’ll always and forever be my Dad. When the funeral came around I wrote a song about him and sung it in front of everyone with my guitar. It was a very emotional day for everyone.

These days my mom is dating this guy “Rick.” He’s okay, but I feel like we can never connect; same with my older brother, Kevin. Rick seems to ask me about the same thing, like, “How’s school? Doing any sports YET? You like to hike, because I really do?” Does he even listen to what my brother and I tell him? For one, I don’t do sports, my brother does, and two, school’s school! He should know a little something by now you’d think. After all, he & my mom have been going out for a little over a year now. I strum a few chords on the guitar out of frustration.

Kevin: Sounds good lil bro *pops his head into my room*

Me: It’s not exactly finished…

Kev: Psh whatever, man. It sounded good *gives me a thumbs-up & walks to his room*