Kinetic Energy

“Did you make it here all right?”

There was a small part of Perrie that was apprehensive about going to Dylan’s apartment that night. They had only been on two real dates and she was nervous about things moving too quickly, as they often did when boys were trying to get a girl in bed. She didn’t necessarily suspect him of doing that, but a girl never really could be certain.

Dylan had assured her that nothing would happen between them and he wouldn’t let her take her clothes off no matter how hard she tried, and it was that joke that finally had Perrie agreeing to go.

The building he had given her the address to was much nicer than she expected and a thousand times nicer than hers. She couldn’t even begin to guess how much rent was in a place like that, but even though she wanted to know, she knew better than to ask. She would, however, be doing a bit of research on it later.

When she stepped inside the building, Dylan was already waiting in the lobby to take her up, a brilliant smile on his face. She still couldn’t get over how handsome he was and she couldn’t stop herself from smiling back.

“Did you make it here all right?” Dylan asked as he pressed the button to call the elevator down to them.

Perrie nodded her head quickly, smiling as Dylan stepped to the side to let her onto the elevator first. It was a long ride up to the top floor, but the conversation with Dylan was easy and that made it feel like only a few seconds.

When they reached the top floor and took the few short steps over to Dylan’s door, Perrie was in awe over how nice his place was. It was perfectly clean, not what she expected from him, and well furnished. It looked like it had been professionally done and there was no doubt that Dylan had money.

“Do you like it?” Dylan asked, motioning for her to step inside. Her mouth was agape as they walked in, before a smile fell over her.

“It’s lovely, Dylan,” she said, nodding her head. “You did a wonderful job decorating.”

Dylan chuckled, shaking his head. “That wasn’t me. I hired a decorator for that.”

It all made a little more sense after that, because the throw pillows matched the carpet perfectly and the curtains pulled everything together in a way that no straight man could ever understand.

“Would you like to sit?” Dylan asked as he led her to the sofa in the middle of the room. “We can pop in a movie.”

Perrie nodded her head gently, smiling as she sat down on the plush seat. Dylan sat down right next to her, far enough away that they weren’t touching but close enough that she could hear him breathing. She couldn’t help fill a small bit of tension in that tiny gap, and she wished that he hadn’t sat that perfectly awkward amount away from her.

“What do you wanna watch?” he asked, turning on Netflix and flipping through the movies. He seemed like the type that could never settle on just one thing to watch, but Perrie gave him a vague answer anyway.

“I’m good with anything.”

He sighed at that, letting out a small laugh, before settling on the next thing that caught his eye, which happened to be some B level horror flick. The acting was subpar and the special effects wouldn’t be enough to scare a small child, but they had a good time watching it.

Every time the killer would pop up on the screen, Dylan would laugh with his entire body, scooting closer to Perrie every time he did. Pretty soon, their thighs were pressed together and that awkward tension just vanished. It was like all they needed was that little touch to send things back into normalcy.

Perrie didn’t know where things were going to go from there, because one touch usually led to another, and with a guy as good-looking and charming as Dylan, she wasn’t sure how easily she’d be able to say no or if she even would at all.

As one of the movie’s victims gave one of the most unrealistic onscreen screams of all time, Dylan looked over at Perrie, a gentle smile on his face. She didn’t know what it was, but there was something about that look that made her just know that he was going to kiss her.

She could feel her heart racing in preparation while her hands began to get clammy. If she was lucky, he wouldn’t reach out to touch them because he would surely notice how sweaty they were and that was not a turn on at all.

“Perrie,” Dylan whispered as he began leaning closer to her, his eyes blinking gently.

“Yes?” She whispered back, feeling her throat slowly tighten inside of her. He was making her body do a whole mess of things and it was becoming too much for her.

Before he could say anything, the front door swung open behind them, causing Perrie to jump up from her seat. Dylan stood up too, if only to calm Perrie down, because he knew very well who was at that door.

“Perrie, this is my roommate, Alyssa,” Dylan said, pointing awkwardly at the red-head girl in front of him. She was pretty, but not in the way that Dylan was, and looked just as calm and cool as he did. Was this about to get weird? Perrie didn’t have a clue. But she’d stand there with her heart racing until she found out.