Sequel: Going to Hell

Devil's Backbone

Chapter Two

Aria Richards was just shy of her 27th birthday and her life wasn't what she had planned for it to be. She was a nurse at Des Moines Regional Hospital located in the town of Des Moines, Iowa. She loved her job, but she hated the hours. But if it hadn't been for that job, she wouldn't have met a tall, handsome stranger that had been in need of some simple stitches. He had swept her off her feet, but his stay was short and sweet. However, when he just happened to be in her area, he would stop in and they would start up all over again.

It was just your typical Friday night, but Aria didn't want to voice that it was slow. Because in the medical field, if you utter those words, you would be slammed with patients. Taking advantage of the quiet time, Aria decided it would be the best time to catch up on some charting.

She was working in the ER, so she took several folders, found a desk and began to work on her charting. She wasn't sure how much time had passed, but she jumped when her quiet time was interrupted by her pager going off on the desk next to her.

With a loud sigh, knowing her night was about to get busy, she picked up the pager and read the simple text on the pea green screen. “Patient curtain three. Needs stitches.”

At least it wasn't something too bad. Stitches she could handle.

She walked back through the double doors where the triage rooms were located to see her supervisor with a huge smile on her plump face. “He's asking for you, personally.”

Aria let out a sigh and took the chart. At five foot six, Aria was considered very beautiful. She had red hair that grazed the middle of her back, light green eyes that were surrounded by a pair of thick dark lashes and an athletic build. No wonder men came in and asked for her personally.

She had her head down, reading the chart, when she slid open the curtain and stepped inside the small room. “OK, Mr. Smith, what seems to be...the problem...” She stopped mid sentence when she finally looked up to see the man sitting on the bed.

He had a smile on his face, his dimples showing as she stood there, her mouth wide open. 'Hey, Aria.”

A year ago, Aria would have been thrilled to see the man that was sitting there, with that heart melting smile on his face, but instead, she felt anger. They hadn't gone more than a few weeks without talking to each other. She never really knew what Sam Winchester did for a “living”. All she knew, he traveled with his brother. When six months passed with no answer from him, Aria assumed he had moved on to some other town with some other girl. So, she tried her best and moved on herself.

“Hey Aria?” She threw the folder on the gurney and placed her hands on her slim hips. “That's all you have for me Sam Winchester? I don't hear from you in a year and all I get is hey Aria?”

Sam had been waiting anxiously for that curtain to open and for him to see that beautiful face. Things had been pretty rough the past year and he was wanting to get back to Iowa, just so he could see her. But the moment that curtain open and her green eyes landed on his, he noticed the instant frown on her face. And the other thing he noticed? The glint of a diamond that was placed on her left hand. She was engaged.

“Maybe I should go,” He slid off the bed, his six foot five inch frame easily towered over her much smaller frame. “It was a mistake coming here.”

He went to walk past her, when she gently reached out and placed her hand on his arm, feeling the muscles beneath her fingers. “Sam..wait...I get off in an hour, how about you meet me in the parking garage and we can go get some drinks or something.”

Sam glanced down at her, then at the ring on her finger. “Sure he won't mind?”

She looked up at him, feeling the past come rushing back to her. No one had loved her like Sam had. Slow, gentle, patient. “He's out of town. I'm parked in space E-45. Meet you there in an hour?”

Despite the hesitation he felt, just to be able to talk to her again pressed him forward. “Yeah.”

Aria quickly walked out of the elevator and glanced down at her watch. Thanks to a patient that had puked his beer all over her scrubs, she was a good half hour late. She prayed that Sam was still waiting for her. As she quickly walked towards where her car was parked. Instead of finding Sam there waiting for her, there were two men who were looking at her car.

She drove a fully restored powder blue 1969 Chevy Nova, so she was used to men always looking at her car, most offering to buy it from her. But she would never part with this car. It was the last thing she had of her father. But something about these two men standing by her car, made the hair on the back of her neck prickle.

She reached into her purse and felt the small metallic can that sat at the bottom next to her keys. She wrapped her fingers around it, readying to use if she had too.

“Can I help you?” Her voice shook with her emotions. The two men were huge. She guessed they were both about 250lbs of pure muscle. They could easily overtake her if they wanted to.

The one closest to her, turned his head and a smile spread across his face. Nothing was friendly at all about that mans' smile. It seemed strained on his face. “Is this your car?”

“Ye..yes it is.”

“Powerful car for such a small think like yourself?” He licked his lips and stared her down. She noticed that his partner walked around the front of the car, blocking off any means of escape that she had.

“I..I have someone waiting for me and he should be here at any moment.”

“OH, you mean Sam Winchester?” He let out a laugh as he looked at her and she gasped as his eyes slid almost to a black color. She had to be hallucinating.

Aria took out the pepper spray can and pressed the button, sending a cloud of pepper gas at the man. It didn't slow him down as he grabbed her by the arm and slammed her into the concrete pillar.

She felt her should pop out of place as she made contact with the pavement and pain exploded along her body. She tried to struggle as the man reached down, grabbed her by the hair and yanked her up off the concrete. Despite the pain she was feeling, Aria struggled against the man and even made contact with his shin. But the man was too strong for her. She felt dizzy and light headed as the pain made her sick to her stomach.

Then, she felt a change in the air. It was if someone had turned the temperature down in the parking garage and goosebumps erupted along her scalp. She was tossed to the side by some invisible force and something pressed down on her body. She heard the screams from the men that attacked her and Aria chanced a look. She raised her head up off the pavement to see a woman standing near the men, or what was left of them. Her eyes were shimmering a light purple color and her dark hair blew in the wind. With a groan, Aria lay her head back down and succumbed to the excruciating pain.