Status: just a one-shot

To the Moon

one

“You’ve got to be kidding me, Bellamy.”

He had sworn everything was ready to go before they left. The car had been packed since the night before; it had taken more time to get all of the bags to fit in the car than it did to pack them, and the car was inspected from top to bottom. He had picked out the hotel for them to stay in and reserved the room himself, insisting that he keep all of his plans secret. It’ll be romantic, he said, you need to let me do things for you once in a while.

Yet somehow they had ended up in a ditch on the side of some dirt road that Raven had never even been on, with the light in the sky slowly dying out and the smoke from the car making more patterns in the sky than the clouds. The heat from the daytime sun still lingered as she leaned over the open hood of the car, causing beads of sweat to form along her forehead. She stood up straight and sighed, gathering up her long, brown hair and tying it back and out of her face. She wanted to say she was surprised that they were stuck in this situation, but the old car was almost in pieces already anyways, so it was inevitable that something like this would happen. She just wished it chose a more convenient spot to die, like anywhere closer to civilization.

“They said it was fine!” Bellamy yelled from the other side of the car, his voice dulled out by the trunk he was looking into. Raven had relegated him to looking for something that resembled tools for them to use, since he obviously couldn’t be trusted with anything else. “What did you want me to do, interrogate them just to make sure they were telling the truth?”

“Something would have been nice,” Raven sighed, resting her hand against the open hood of the car. It would take too long for them to find out what was wrong, even longer for someone to come out and look at it, and she was already tired of being stranded. She looked around them, hoping maybe a city had suddenly cropping up in one of the fields that surrounded them, but all she could see was stalks of corn and bales of hay. The sound of footsteps along the dirt road caught her attention as Bellamy walked up beside her, a wrench and screwdriver in hand and a small smile resting on his lips.

“What?” she asked, the words coming out sharper than she meant them to. He let out a small laugh and shook his head causing his dark, messy hair to fall into his face. The sun had almost set now, bathing the sky with pinks and oranges but was still sending out just enough light so they could see without a struggle. The stars had started to make themselves known and the moon was starting to rise, only the outline visible. “Nothing,” he replied, leaning up against the side of the car.

She crossed her arms across her chest as her eyebrows furrowed together, not happy with the answer he offered to her. This only seemed to widen Bellamy’s smile as he set the tools down and pushed himself off of the side of the vehicle. “Come here,” he said quietly, walking towards her and gently grabbing her hands. She wanted to resist, to stay mad at him, but his arms were wrapping themselves around her and she gave in, leaning against his warm body.

“We’ll figure it out,” he whispered into her shoulder and she nodded, though she wasn’t sure she believed it. The darkness started to take over the sky above them and Bellamy took a step back, letting Raven go. “I’ll be right back,” were his last words before he disappeared behind the car.

She stood in the same spot, partly because she had no idea what he was doing and partly because walking around on a dirt road in the dark didn’t sound like something she wanted to involve herself in. She could hear the shifting of items as Bellamy looked for whatever he was grabbing and soon his shadowy figure could been seen walking towards her once again. He had blankets and pillows piled in his arms that toppled over as soon as he was close to her. He shut the hood of the car and picked up the blankets that littered the ground, shaking each one off before laying it across the car. She watched in amusement and leaned over to pick up a blanket, only to have it snatched up before her hand could reach it. “Allow me,” was all that he said, a hint of laughter laced in his voice.

She watched as he spread the blankets out carefully along the hood, carefully smoothing out the creases and outlining the edges with pillows. He turned to her and smiled before wrapping his arms around her waist and lifting her onto his masterpiece. She moved backwards, laying against the line of pillows behind her as Bellamy climb up beside her. He pulled her towards him, their fingers intertwining and his hand resting on her hip as she laid her head on his chest. She could feel his heart beating in time with hers and she sighed, her lips curving themselves into a smile.

“Do you love me?” she asked suddenly, her voice quiet as the words toppled out of her mouth. She felt him shift underneath her and she looked up, her searching eyes being met by his dark ones. A small smile played on his lips; he was aware that she knew the answer, but he would entertain her question anyways, he always did. He leaned down, placing his lips gently against her forehead before laying his chin gently on top of her head. He looked up, his eyes finding the glowing orb in the dark sky.

“To the moon,” he whispered.