‹ Prequel: Hand Me Downs.

Loonar

Grimmauld Place

I’d gotten my dates mixed up and missed the owl fluttering in through the kitchen window. Luckily my father had realised quickly enough and had snatched the letter, shooing the bird as silently as possible so as not to alert his very muggle girlfriend. She’d fussed with her hair and left for the gym before he had even mentioned it to me over his mug of tea.

My OWL results were here, and with a strange nervous tingling in my fingers I tore the envelope off and threw it aside. “As good as you wanted?” My father had asked, lifting slightly from his seat. I’d nodded, unable to keep the grin from my face. I scanned down the list again, checking I hadn’t gotten any mixed up, although the amount of Outstandings had far exceeded what I’d thought.

“Brilliant,” He stood although as he drew quicker his movement became stilted, “I’m so proud of you sweetheart, do you have everything you need for the lessons you want?”

“Yeah.” I’d breathed, “Even potions; although that is definitely thanks to Aaron.” I let him take the letter, watched as he read the key and could understand what each letter meant. “Fantastic!” He declared, going a little awkwardly to hug me, “Your mother would…”

The phone rang in the hallway, the loud chime snapping his sentence in half. “That will be…” I breathed, letting him finish this sentence at least, smiling at his previous sentiment. “Go on, go and brag you deserve it.”
___

You could never say that staying at 12 Grimmauld Place was dull.

At least that was what I told myself when the damp seemed to seep completely into me; when even though it was the midst of summer I still had to pull on a thick jumper. I’d been here just over two weeks now, splitting my holidays in the usual way. I had spent the first week with Katie and her family, before the three long weeks that dragged with my father and the pouting American woman he had fallen in love with, spending as much time out of the house with Dale as possible. They were better than usual to be fair, although that may be because one of those weeks was spent in a gorgeous villa deep in the south of France courtesy of a family friend.

I’d ended up in Grimmauld Place afterwards, the safe-house, the hideout for the newly reformed Order of the Phoenix. This was my routine, I normally finished the holidays with the Weasleys.

“Amelia?” I blinked, dragging myself off the grimy windowsill and spinning, forcing myself back into the present with a yawn. “Sorry Hermione, I spaced out, what’s wrong?” She pouted a little, clearly fighting the urge to roll her eyes which made me want to mimic the action. “Nothing is wrong, I was just trying to ask Fred and George about what I should expect in Transfiguration. Not that the two of them are ever any help…”

“They’re busy.” I defend, irritated at the smug look that spread over her features, “Besides you know you’ll be absolutely fine, you always are…” I lifted a hand to stop her interrupting, “And once we’re back at Hogwarts I’m more than happy to do stuff with you, but not now. It is supposed to be the holidays remember? However depressing this place is.” She sucked her cheeks in, letting my point drop. “Do you not even have any notes I can borrow?”

I huffed, moving across the room to drop under my bed and heaved my large trunk out, scrambling through for anything that seemed remotely Transfiguration related and tossing it to her, watching papers float onto the dark floorboards. “Thank you.” She said stiffly, tidying it up as I couldn’t hide my grin. “No problem Hermione.” I skirted around her, pausing at the door, “Who knows, we may even have a quiet year.”

“Not likely.” She sighed, fiddling with the edge of a piece of parchment, “Not with everything.” She didn’t have to say much more; with the door opening in front of me, I could hear the voice of the person we were all most worried about. “Well,” I fiddled with a piece of hair sticking to my cheek, “At least Harry isn’t yelling anymore. That’s a plus.”

“It would be more of a plus if I could use my time to really prepare for OWL level work.” I groaned, “No Hermione. I promised the twins…”

“Promised them what, that you’d let them test whatever their latest ridiculous idea was? I thought you would be more eager, I know how surprised you were with your OWL results so it makes sense to keep…”

“Surprised?” I had been but still, a flicker of offence hit me. She went to back-peddle but I waved her off sarcastically, “You couldn’t possibly want my help, Hermione. Not if my results were so shockingly surprising. Must have all been a fluke.”

This time she did roll her eyes at my tone, “Amelia, you know that wasn’t…” I closed the door behind me, a little agitated but finding a bright smile appear at the woman half-staggering up the stairs in from of me. “Wotcher ‘Melia.” She smirked, “What are you all flushed for?”

“Nothing.” I said quickly, my voice a little too high to be convincing. She tilted her head, “I’m trying to avoid extra work is all.”

“Well, I was on my way to give you some.” She stifled a yawn behind her hand, nails painted a shocking pink that matched her hair. “Molly asked if you can help with lunch? I’m off now and shockingly she didn’t want to ask any of the lads.”

“I don’t blame her.” I pushed the sleeves of my jumper up to my elbows. “But how come Ginny hasn’t been dragged in?”

“Apparently she’s been more helpful with the cleaning than you.” Tonks beamed, obviously enjoying the downcast look I felt smear across my face. “Shut up Tonks, you get to leave.”

“No-one is making you stay.” She countered as we started back down the narrow stairway; “You say the word and you can finish the holidays at…”

“I need to be here.” I wasn’t sure why I lowered my tone like we were conspiring but she followed suit. “I want to be here…and…I think, I think that I deserve to be.” She nodded, assuring me instantly that everyone agreed although she offered no opinion when I complained about still not being let into meetings properly. Since Harry had arrived all of us other than Ginny had been let it on much more, but it still didn’t feel like enough. We were willing to do what we could, we had reasons for being involved in wanting too.

Mine was my mother.

I caught Tonks send me a pitiful look and brought up the edge of my lips. “Nevermind, won’t be too long before we’re back at school.”

She whistled mockingly glad for the subject change, “Sixth year. That’s when the real work starts, you come off the high of OWLs and straight into NEWT level work.” She smirked, “Of course by the time you get to Seventh Year, Sixth year seems like a breeze.”

“Thank you for your words of encouragement.” Her face only brightened.

“You’ll be fine.” She comforted, “Just try and keep yourself out of trouble. Feels like forever ago that I was looking forward to going back to Hogwarts.”

I scoffed at her, “Hardly, how old are you anyway?”

“Old enough to know…” There was a bang as the carefully balanced umbrella caught under Tonk’s leg and whacked into the old hallway table. I flinched, waiting for the upcoming screaming and hiding quickly in the kitchen as Tonks winced an apology and apparated.

Molly barely seemed to hear the screeching anymore, several bewitched knives chopping away. “Amelia,” she gestured me over, “Be a dear and keep an eye on these pans will you?” I nodded, carefully trying to pinch an already in motion spoon between my fingers and checking the spaghetti. Molly smiled at me and as usual, it made me feel warm. She smiled at me exactly the way she did any of her own children and she had since the first time I had visited the burrow during the Easter of my third year.

“Bill’s joining us for lunch as well.” She explained, starting to dish up numerous plates. “He was going to bring Fleur.” At this I kept my mouth firmly shut, although Molly had only met the previous Beauxbatons student once I had the distinct impression it had not gone well. Bill had been dating her for a couple of months from the sound of it after she’d gotten a job at Gringotts to improve her English after the Triwizard Tournament.

“Anyone else coming?” I interjected, hoping to re-start the conversation, Molly nodded briskly, “Remus is joining us, unfortunately, Arthur doesn’t think he’ll be able to get out of work early enough but there’s a chance that Mad-Eye might.”

“Sounds nice.” I still found any sort of meeting with Mad-Eye uncomfortable. The last year, my fifth, at Hogwarts he had been our Defence against the Dark Arts teacher. But then again he hadn’t, really he’d been locked deep in a bewitched case and an impostor had kept up the ruse with a vast amount of polyjuice potion. I never knew exactly what to say.

In the end, I needn’t have worried. Fleur couldn’t make it so Molly was far more relaxed and Mad-Eye was deep in discussion with Sirius and Remus at the other end of the table. This however left me trapped in-between George and Fred who were deep in the planning and testing stage of several new, and all horrible treats. “We could do with you trying out the puking pastilles again.” Neither of them withered at my glare, “No way.”

“Amelia.”

“No.” I kept my voice low to avoid alerting Molly, “Not again; I did before and it was horrible. They made me sick, what more do you want?!”

“Timing.” Fred admitted, pushing leftover chunks of mince around his plate. “We upped the dosage so they take effect quicker but sadly…”

George took over, “I was sick twenty two times last night before it stopped.” The look on his face made me chuckle. “You know, this isn’t exactly making me want to try them.”

“No, no, no. As my dear brother was trying to say that was before. We played around with the dosage this morning.” I lifted a brow, “...On ourselves and we just need another person to try it before we do much more with it.”

I huffed a little, I knew full well there wasn’t really any way to avoid it. “Fine.” Both faces lit up with glee, “What do I get out of it?”

“Our undying love and gratitude?” George offered, I ignored him turning to Fred who tapped his chin whilst staring intently at me.

“Sexual favours.” I choked on my drink, having only just lifted it to my lips. George’s face grew slightly pink as Fred and myself cackled, everyone soon staring at us. Molly instinctively just ignored us and tried to continue the conversation as we began to wheeze our laughs.

We didn’t manage to get ourselves under control for quite a few minutes, getting to the point that any glance at either of them would set me off again. “Amelia, can I?” I nodded, letting Ron take my half-full plate as I tried to wipe away the tears staining my cheeks, my throat already sore.

Eventually, I got myself steady, although Fred was harder to contain. It wasn’t until pudding when George was fiddling with something in his pocket that his twin succeeded. “Looks like the chatter has gotten pretty serious down there,” George said lowly and I followed his gaze, he was right. All of the ‘official’ members of the Order of the Phoenix were in a hissed, tense-looking conversation.

George slithered out one of their extendable ears, attempting to lean under the table and fling it forward. Fred made a large fuss of dropping a fork, giving him the chance to duck under as well. I wasn’t quite as lucky, opting just to simply vanish and hope I wasn’t noticed. It was only a couple of seconds before the conversation at the head of the table dropped and with a sudden tug, our end of the extendable ear was ripped from George's fingers.

“Not those bloody ears again!”
___

The next morning was Harry’s official hearing. He was in trouble for using magic in front of a muggle. It was utterly ridiculous, at least that seemed to be exactly how any member of the Order who visited thought. Dementors had attacked Harry and his cousin, and without Harry’s use of magic both of them would likely be dead – or worse, the Dementor’s kiss left you like a shell.

“There are always exceptions to any rule.” Lupin had told Tonk after dinner, “And Harry was in danger, he acted to save not only his own life but that of the muggle involved. I imagine it will be a very short session if that. Amelia Bones is very fair…”

“It shouldn’t have even gone to court,” Tonk replied with agitation, “The only reason it has is because they’re trying to drag Harry and Dumbledore through the mud.”

“Fudge is trying to assure everyone that there is nothing to fear. For him to admit now, after all the damage control he’s done that Voldemort has really returned…” I like to think it was a sign of strength that neither Tonks nor I flinched at the use of his name. “He believes it would be counterproductive until he has solid evidence…”

“What Harry said is solid evidence.” I bit, feeling a flare of passion, “And for them to dismiss him so…” I flung my arm into the air, “It’s not fair. And it’s going to end badly.”

Lupin sighed, wiping a hand over his tired face, “You won’t find me disagreeing with you.” He glanced over my head, “But it looks like you’re due to bed. We should be off anyway Nympha- Tonks.” He’d corrected himself but even so that usual stab of anger at the use of her first name wasn’t present. I excused myself and went upstairs, carefully avoiding making any noise as I passed the twins bedroom, sudden exclamations of pain echoing.

I’d tested enough lately and I was desperate to avoid them. Sneaking into the bedroom I shared with Ginny and Hermione they were both as I had come to expect; Hermione was deep in one of my OWL textbooks, happy that I’d offered to give ones I didn’t intend to continue using to her and Ginny was half asleep, her usually delicate face ghastly as she shuffled every few seconds.

“Anything good?” I asked, suddenly feeling a yawn coming and starting to dig through my piled up bedding for my pyjamas. “Definitely.” Was all I received in reply and I smiled, changing quickly and pushing Ginny so she was laying down properly, dragging the cover over her. “How was Harry?”

“Nervous, of course.” Hermione rested the book on her lap, fidgeting with her thumbnail, “We all know it’s ridiculous and he should deserve to be completely let off the hook but I’m worried about the Ministry’s opinions.” I nodded, mute. We were all worried about what they would do to make a point.

I was about to answer when a loud crack sent Ginny shooting to the ground and my heart into my throat. I hadn’t even had the chance to complain when the horrible sensation of side along apparition overtook me. It was like being crushed like you’d been plunged deep under water so the pressure was all but suffocating. Half a second later it was over and I was standing in the twins room with George gently clutching my arm. The scold was on my tongue when I realised why exactly they’d needed me. Fred was sat on the floor next to the bed, with about three rolls of toilet paper around him, all of which were soaked in blood.

“Got a bit over excited with the nosebleed nougat did you?” I said lightly, although the sight was alarming. “How long has he been going?”

“This is about five minutes worth,” I swore, kneeling down beside him. “Yeah, we figured we’d try you and Hermione before we told Mum…”

“I dunno if I can do this.” I ran my tongue over my lower lip, “What did you change about it? I thought you had it perfect?!”

“We wanted to make it a bit more shocking so there was definitely no way even someone like Snape could avoid sending you to the hospital wing.”

“We may have made it too strong...again” Fred’s voice was muffled heavily by the tissue.

“No shit.” I clicked my tongue, moving his hand from his face. “Are we sure it’s just his nose or…”

“If we knew that we wouldn’t be sitting here watching him bleed, would we?” I held back a retort, trying to figure out if something as simple as episkey would work. “I honestly don’t know,” I muttered to myself to clean up the excess blood. “I forgot Tergeo.” George said almost mournfully, “We’re going to have to get Mum aren’t we?”

“Looks like it.” I offered unhelpfully, “Lupin and Tonks have already left. Is your Dad here?” They both shrugged, “I’d ask him first, or Sirius. But your Mum will find out.” Both heads drooped even further. “Well,” I lifted my words, “Have fun with that. I was never here!” I beamed at them both, there was no real danger here; at least not from the blood gushing from Fred.

Molly would kill them, no doubt.

I started down the hallway before feeling a stab of guilt, Molly would be furious and with everything else going on her nerves were frayed as they were. I twisted, I could still hear both of them muttering so I darted up the stairs, careful to step quietly past Molly and Arthur’s room and to the highest point in the house where Sirius was often found.

I went to knock and the door swung open, Sirius emerging with a bottle and making the both of us jump. “Merlin’s beard, you half gave me a heart attack.” I couldn’t help but snigger, “What’s wrong Amelia?”

“Fred and George are having a tiny issue.” A smirk lit his handsome face as I led him down the dark narrows and explained. “Very clever, both of them.” He mused, a proper smile appearing. “They do remind me of the sort of things James and I always wanted to get up to.” As ever the mention of Harry’s father darkened him but he tugged himself out of it. “I’ll have a look at Fred before Molly wrings his neck.”

“Thankyou.” I breathed, stopping outside of my bedroom. For a moment I wanted to say more to him, to ask more but I bit my tongue and bid him goodnight. I watched him vanish into the twins room; he’d certainly added more weight to his frame and looked far better for it. It was hard to believe that he and Lupin were only in their thirties still; years of turmoil had weighed heavily on them.

Hermione shot me a questioning look I ignored as I crawled into bed. “Night.” I said softly, curling onto one side.

I knew there were a couple of people in the house who would be having a difficult one.