‹ Prequel: Hand Me Downs.

Loonar

Train

We left with little time to spare the next morning. I’d packed haphazardly, keeping the important things like my wand and my friend Ryan’s birthday present for tomorrow in my backpack, whilst the rest was crammed into my trunk. “I need a bigger one I think.” I mused, letting Fred levitate it for me once the chaos had died down a little.

The two of them attempting to show off had knocked Ginny down about fifty steps. She was fine, Molly saw to that, but you couldn’t even hear Mrs Black over the volume of shouting at the twins. “Sure you’re alright?” I asked once I caught up with the youngest Weasley.

“Fine." Ginny shrugs, "Just thinking of ways to get them back.” Her grin is identical to Ron's for an instant.

“Good girl.” I compliment, slipping on my boots when there's a loud chiming from the depths of my handbag. “Bloody hell, what’s that?” Ron complained, as I dug through and pulled out my phone.

“It’s called a mobile phone, Ronald.” I teased, flipping up the speaker to answer. “Hi Dad.”
___

“But it was the size of a bloody brick…”

“Christ Ron, get over it.” I spat, pulling a face at him as I turned on my heel; risking taking a few steps backwards. “I am very sorry that the phone upset you so badly.”

“It didn’t upset me.” He muttered, ears flooding a pale pink as he drew Hermione into conversation. We had gone on foot to a safe distance before Mad-Eye had apparated several times, taking one of us with him on each occasion.

Harry had gone first with Molly, Tonks and Sirius in his dog form and walked as far as I was aware.He needed a guard; and I suppose Mad-Eye, even dressed as casually as he could manage in muggle clothing (which as someone who barely wears them isn’t very) is far too obvious.

We'd been split even further once the house was several minutes away. Lupin took Fred, George and Ginny by foot leaving Me, Ron and Hermione to endure some private time with Mad-Eye.

He released us once we had left (only one at a time with four-minute intervals) the small ‘closed to the public’ waiting room, following with all of our trunks on a trolley as we regrouped at a coffee stall. “This isn’t the most inconspicuous way for us to do this, surely?” Hermione whispered to me, dropping her eyes as Mad-Eye's magnificently blue one ran over us. “I think you’ll find it works Miss Granger unless you rather we drop all precautions and simply leave you all to your own, underage devices?”

Moving through the station after that was fairly simple, although I was getting nervous about the passing time and we didn’t reach platform 9 3/4 with many minutes to spare. After confirming everything had gone well in all camps we started our goodbyes, Lupin shook hands whilst Molly wrapped me in a strangling hug. Tonks, still disguised as an old woman gave me a light squeeze, “Keep in touch!” She said, a hint of threat in her words. I smiled, assuring her I would before receiving a stern warning from Moody about being careful what was said in letters.

Finally, it was time to go and we scrambled on the train just as the whistle was starting to blow. I made sure to pat Sirius on the head beforehand, a little concerned at his recklessness but with that realisation feeling more in touch with Hermione than ever. We all split, as usual, to find a compartment and our usual travel-mates. “Find us if you get bored.” George winked, messing up my hair.

“Not if you’re playing around with anything.” I retort, starting to drag my heavy trunk along, thankful when I was pointed in the right direction by a face I was happy to see. “Thanks Dan. How was your summer?” Like most of the boys in my year he seemed to be shooting up and out but offered me the same familiar smile he had since the sorting ceremony. “Alright thanks, we went to the alps for a couple of weeks. You?”

I shrugged, “Same old. It was good though, so the guys were down this way?” He nodded, squishing around me with his backpack, “Yeah about ten odd down. I could hear Leanne moaning so I figured it was them.” His reaction to our shared friends made me laugh.

“More than likely." We take a couple of steps apart before I spin, "Remember to speak to McGonagall about Alchemy when you see her!”

His chuckle in response to my enthusiasm bounced off the walls as we separated and I finally came across a loud compartment, struggling to wrench the door open when I felt the weight of my case vanish. “Thanks…” I waited for the case to lift over my head so I could see the familiar character, “Dale.” He smirked, the trademark look that seemed to fit with any situation before wrapping his arms tightly around me. “Oww, come on you’re crushing me!” I whined, tapping at his arm until he removed them, smirk growing. “I only saw you like three weeks ago.”

“He just likes you more than the rest of us.” Another, slightly higher voice rang out, choosing to tug at the ends of my hair rather than following his best friends suit.

There were two other bodies present and I greeted Leanne and Aaron enthusiastically, a murmur of welcomes and comments about holidays before I was finally sat down and talk turned to grades and the upcoming year. “I cannot believe you actually want to do potions,” Leanne said with a hint of disgust, leaning back and inspecting her hair in the windows weak reflection. “Opens up a lot of career paths,” Aaron replied, fiddling with something in his backpack.

There were fifty-eight students going into the sixth year, and my own house, Gryffindor has the lowest number. Thankfully we all got on, although there were times when Cormac Mclaggen drove us all a little crazy. He wasn’t that close to most of us and sat with his own group of friends throughout each year's train journeys. I always sat with the same people, and along with Fred and George, they were my closest friends.

Aaron was scouring through everyone’s results, to try and work out what classes we were likely to have together. He was bent over them, that studious look that you usually found stuck on his face. Leanne was perched next to him, fiddling with the end of her impeccable curls, nails as usual perfectly done. Aaron was taking the brunt of her love-struck conversation, she had met another boy on holiday and in usual Leanne style, had seemed to have fallen for him hook, line and sinker. That didn’t typically end well and already Ryan was making little-muttered comments to Dale.

I slunk in-between them, wishing Katie would hurry up as Ryan touched a nerve. “I mean, she has to realise how she sounds when she’s like this.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” I bit a little sharply, feeling my eyes narrow. “Leanne can do whatever the hell she wants.”

Ryan backed off a little, “You can’t say you don’t agree with me though? She’d fall in love with a bloody dummy.”

“You’re a dummy.” Dale laughed loudly at me, although the comeback had been atrocious and lifted both hands in mock surrender as the two of us turned. ”No way, I’m not getting involved.” I scoffed and Ryan pulled a face at him, making me cackle. That was something Ryan was very good at, he one of the only people able to leave me crying with hysterical laughter just from a look or a word. He got on quite well with the twins because of this. “Just leave her alone.” I warned, not at all menacingly, “Pick on Dale if you want to pick on someone.”

“He does enough of that.” Dale commented. Stretching back just so the bottom of his shirt rid up over his stomach. I made sure my eyes didn’t linger, there were enough complications there and a year with less drama in my immediate friendship group would be preferable. Considering everything in the wider wizarding world was slowly but surely going to hell.

He shuffled so he was more comfortable and his arm flung along the back of the seating, it leant just above my shoulders and almost to Ryan.

“Well, we’ll all definitely be doing Defence against the Dark Arts.” I yawned as Aaron ran through a list of who was likely to be where. “We can compare timetables tomorrow when McGonagall’s done them…” I cut in, watching Dale pulled a face and shot him a smile in return, I knew he was less than happy with some of his OWL results but there was always the chance to resit. “Is Katie ever going to get here? Where did she say she was again? Angelina?”

“She’ll be gone half the trip then.” Ryan chipped in, “Angelina’s quidditch captain now obviously and you know what she gets like.”

“Unfortunately.” Leanne giggled at him.

“Are you going to try out this year then?” Ryan paused for a moment before dropping a shoulder, “Aw, come on. You should!”

“You’ve been practising loads mate.” Dale added, “And you’re good!"

Our friend shrugged again. “I dunno, I’ll decide tomorrow.”

“Dramatic birthday decision.”

“I’m sure the amazing presents you’ve all no-doubt gotten me will get me through.”

“Keep dreaming.” Leanne winked at him before returning to thoughts of her new ‘golden skinned’
love.

The next couple of hours passed as they usually did, catching up, making fun of each other and stealing whatever food we all had brought; either from home or from the trolley as it came past. I ended up sitting on the floor, leaning against Dale’s leg and stuffing my face with chocolate. Leanne was far more delicately picking through a box of every flavour beans when Katie finally appeared with a wide grin. “I’d get up to hug you but I may die.”

She chuckled, thanking the boys as they helped her heave her trunk and broomstick up onto the rack.

“How was Angelina?” Leanne said lightly, although as soon as the conversation turned to Quidditch those of us uninterested tuned out. Our pile of results were slightly crumpled and we were a good half an hour into the Quidditch chatter when Dale finally moved, his loss of weight making me spill slightly to the side. He handed them all out again and grabbed his bag, cramming his in. I decided now was as good a time to discuss them as any. I knew he was upset, his letters had made that clear. “You want to walk? My arse is going numb.”

He scoffs, “Attractive.” But nods anyway and I quickly told the others, although they took the hint and everyone turned down the chance.

We passed a few other compartments before either of us spoke. “You okay?”

“Me?” He waved me off dismissively, “Yeah, of course, I am. Glad to get back anyway, not that that’s a sentence I ever thought I’d say.”

“Summer same old?”

“Meh. It wasn’t too bad though, good to see you and I spent a couple of weeks at Ryan's.”

“Good.”

“How was yours? I mean I know you were with Katie obviously, and your Dad and Tammy the terrible?” I couldn’t hold back a giggle. “That’s about it really,” A massive lie but I wasn’t going to let my friends know anything which could put them in danger, “Spent the last couple of weeks with the Weasleys' and Harry and that…”

“How is he?” I didn’t have to ask who he meant and, although a habit I hated him doing, I shrugged in return. “He’s okay. I mean, he saw Cedric die, he saw…” I lowered my voice, “Voldemort and nothing has been done about it. They keep saying he’s lying.”

“Who’s lying?” A curt voice called from behind us, “Anyone who says they can stomach you I’ll bet.” There’s a high pitched giggle and we spin on our heel, my hand going to stop Dale from making any moves.

“Hello Draco, good summer?” He sneered at me, those light eyebrows lifting as Pansy Parkinson, little better than his lap dog, hung at his side. “Nice badge,” Dale said stiffly and I saw the two green and silver prefect badges glinting on their clothing.

Malfoy’s smile grew hard, “Plenty of privileges that come with it. Not that I suppose either of you would know.” Dale rolled his eyes heavily.

“Well, any excuse to bully people.” I gently pushed Dale’s lower back. It was not worth getting into a fight with Malfoy before we had even gotten back. “Go on then, walk your precious little mudblood back to his ca-“

“Dale!” I grabbed the hand holding his wand and wrenched it downwards. “He’s not worth it.” I ignored the next vile comment to slip from the blonde boy's mouth. “Especially not since we know exactly what Daddy has been up to recently.” I took a guilty sort of pleasure in the vein that jumped in his forehead.

“You shut your mouth you filthy…”

“Or what?” Anger was flickering through me and my own advice had fallen flat, hand resting on the pocket where my wand lay. “You won’t be in your precious little position if you start fighting will you Draco?” I could see the cogs turning before he realised I was right. He’d lose being a Prefect instantly, and he was a bully, through and through. He’d miss that power.

He composed himself and smirked, practically shoving Pansy away as Dale eyed us warily. “Don’t forget who I am.”

“No chance.” My words were venom and I turned, having to grab Dale by the hand and drag him away, listening as the fury erupted from him. “I swear…” I took several calming breaths.

“That he is.” I knew without a doubt I’d be on his little list now, especially as I’d mentioned his father. The very same that had flocked to Voldemort's side; who Harry had seen in that graveyard. “Come on. Don’t let it…”

“Prrh,” He pushes air out of his mouth, continuing his rant about Draco as we wandered along the long length of the train. I think that was an almost universal dislike, Draco Malfoy. Still, at certain points, I could almost, almost feel sorry for him. I knew exactly what his family was like, who they were. That could ever have been anything but utterly horrific and toxic for a kid.

“You calmed down yet?” I asked once we had physically walked the whole of the train.

“Maybe.” He lied, although he offered me that smirk. “Guess that derailed your plan to try and cheer me up about my OWLs though didn’t it?”

He constantly saw right through me and there was no point denying it.

“We’ve still got the walk back.” I linked my arm through his, trying to remember the little speech I had prepared but failing miserably. “They’re not as bad as you’re making out.”

“Alright little Miss Five Outstandings.” I went to argue and he cut me off, “Not having a go, don’t bite my head off.”

I simmered, “I wasn’t going to.” His look made it clear he didn’t believe me. “Anything you’re really upset about you can re-sit if you want; besides you did fine with Charms, Magic Creatures, Muggle Studies…” I scrambled in my mind, “What else did you get E’s or A’s for?”

“Herbology and Defence against the Dark Arts...Oh and I got an A in Transfiguration but I know McGonagall won’t let me do NEWT with that.” I was glad the downcast look that had previously come over him was lifting a little. “So you’ve got six OWLS easy and tomorrow you can see what you can keep doing. McGonagall likes you anyway so you could probably butter her up about Transfiguration if you wanted, or, I’m pushing for Alchemy since they mentioned it last year.”

“I know. I saw Josh from Ravenclaw at the station and he said. Doesn’t sound like my thing, to be honest babe.”

I grinned at him, he was looking far more like his usual self. “Right, so see. You are going to be absolutely fine and you have nothing to worry about. There are always options. So smile.” He frowned instead until I prodded at his cheek and a smile curved. “Come on, poor Aaron is probably bored to death of all the love and Quidditch chatter.”
___

Finally weaving our way back to the compartment we found another body squished in the crush.

“Hey, you two.” She said gently, although I felt my eyes narrow instantly at the paper held tightly in her hands. Sarah was the female prefect for our year, and although I did like her, her attitude could be grating. Ryan tossed a chocolate frog at Dale and something clicked, “Oh that reminds me,” I announced, “If Fred and George offer you, sweets, please don’t take them.”

Sarah snorted, pulling her head from her copy of the Daily Prophet, “I don’t trust anything those two touch. What are they planning now?” I explained about the ‘skiving snackboxes' and she just rolled her eyes going back to the paper.

“Why are you reading that?” I asked eventually when she had finished and folded it up, moving so I was opposite her, she looked confused, “Its news, why wouldn’t I be reading it?”

I sighed. “Because it’s complete rubbish, you believe what they say about Dumbledore and Harry?” she sighed and I felt my face flush instantly, “You do believe it?” My voice was hard, accusing.

“I’m not saying I believe it all, but, it’s Harry’s word against the Ministry and why would the Ministry lie Amelia?”

“To cover it up,” I said loudly, “Why would Harry ever lie about Voldemort!? It’s just crap.”

Katie shook her head at me from across the compartment and I clamped my mouth shut, un-eager to fight with her but finding a similar anger to how I had felt when I’d seen Draco. Ryan lifted his brows at the tension, whistling a few short notes before desperately trying to change the subject. “I need another walk.” I breathed, excusing myself, not missing the dirty look Sarah threw in my direction.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyy,

Thanks for subscribing, any comments would be great :)
There will be more of the twins in the next chapter! Just trying to set the scene and all.

Much love