‹ Prequel: Hand Me Downs.

Loonar

Training

"You shouldn't have stayed up so late with the boys then." She teases, no sympathy at all in her voice. "You knew you were going to be up early to help me practice, and you promised!"

Her little pout was unnecessary as her guilt trip had already worked in full force. I huffed, dragging myself out of the comfortable mess of my bed and scrambling for some clothes I didn't mind getting coated in mud; making my hair and face half reasonable. "I'm coming, quit your whining."

"I don't whine." Katie retorted, fiddling with the strap on her quidditch gloves. "I just like to make sure people stick with the deals they make."

"Remind me what I get from this deal? From what I can tell I have to risk my life to help you out!"

"My friendship is enough of a selling point surely?" This makes me laugh and Leanne grumbles lowly from behind her curtains, hurrying us up and I follow Katie down into the common room, empty at this time in the morning and all the way down to the quidditch changing rooms where we abandon our wands in lockers and she runs to get me a loan broom.

The Gryffindor try-outs had been last night for a replacement for Wood, and surprisingly - although I would never admit my shock, Ron had gone and become the third Weasley in the team. Katie had told me quietly later on that they had debated quite a bit between Ron and Geoff Hooper in the fourth year, but Ron had won out purely because of attitude. Everyone had been happy enough, although it was obvious Ryan was a little jealous that he hadn't decided to push himself and go for it.

Regardless, and as good as the team was looking it was never enough for Katie, hence my agreement to get up at seven am on a Saturday to do some target practise with her. It didn't take much skill on my behalf luckily, I could float about unsteadily at her demand and throw the quaffle in a variety of ways and angles for her to catch. We were out for almost an hour and she had only missed one throw, which I could tell she was pleased about even if she did proclaim that I was far too easy, and hadn't given her enough of a challenge.

"It's a challenge for me not to fall off!" I'd argued, happy when I finally spotted some others walking towards us, from a distance it was clear it was Ron and Harry and as carefully as I could I landed and dismounted, eager for breakfast and a shower. "Have fun! I'll come back for group practice."

"Angelina wants everyone down here after lunch." I'd made some noise of agreement, dawdling still and watching as Harry and Ron kicked off. I knew exactly why Katie was so dedicated to quidditch, it had gone far beyond a hobby, or a sport she liked. She wanted a career in the game, and in the shorter term she wanted to be captain when Angelina left at the end of the year. She hadn't put it as simply as that but it was clear that was her goal, and she deserved it. She'd put hours in every week since the beginning of our second year.

After a few more minutes I head back towards the castle, my trainers heavy with mud. Unfortunately, I was delayed after I ran into Filch who was less than impressed with my footwear and insisted I take them off, shoving a bag at me and giving me little less than a lecture as Mrs Norris glared at me. Finally he gave in, still grumbling under his breath and I had to practically jog to the common room so I'd have enough time to sort myself out and not miss breakfast.

"What's in the bag?"

"Out of the way Fred, I need to get showered and I'm starving."

"Oh no," he blocked the staircase with a grin now, "I'm intrigued now." His expression didn't change at my roll of eyes. "It's my muddy trainers, I've been helping Katie out with training."

"You hate riding a broom."

"Duh."

"Then why does she ask you?"

"Because I'm an amazing friend." He shrugged and I took the chance to dart past him, "And I am hungry and I’m going to die if you don’t let me get ready and eat."

He didn’t look particularly bothered but let me pass, raising his voice as I scrambled up the stairs, "Coming to watch us later?"

"Wouldn't miss Ron's first practise," I assured him, and he grimaced.

"Let's just hope he doesn't embarrass us!"
___

A few hours later I'm heading back down to the pitch, Ryan chattering on next to me. The team were just about to start and we slid into some of the best seats, Ryan far more eager than I was. I hid my yawn behind my hand, waving away a sloppy air kiss from Fred or George. Unfortunately, they were at the distance where it was impossible to tell them apart. The other did the same but this time Ryan leapt to his feet, pretending to clutch it tight to his heart. The laughter echoed and Angelina called hard for their attention before they all lifted in the air.

A gang of Slytherin's came into eyeshot as the unfortunate training session began and sat far too close to us for my comfort. Within seconds they were annoying me; they had started shouting, throwing Ron even further off his game. Not that it was hard, he was missing the majority of the quaffles aimed his way and Angelina spent half her time yelling at him to properly cover the hoops. “He’s no Wood, is he?” Ryan commented lightly, a heck of a lot more nicely than Draco and his little buddies, who looked like they were having the time of their lives.

“I’m going to say something.” I warned, not at all settled by Ryan’s wave at me.

“That’s not gunna help, is it? All it will do it – ouch.” He winced dramatically, and I pulled my glare away from Pansy Parkinson and back to the pitch, catching on to Ryan’s reaction instantly. Katie had her hand to her face and blood was spilling between her fingers from the looks of it. “Oh dear.”

“Ron.” Ryan sighed, sitting back heavily, “Not off to a great start are they?”

“Well,” I was struggling, “maybe they’ll sort it. It’s only the first practise and it probably doesn’t help having this bunch of loudmouthed idiots sitting there like bloody hyenas!” I’d raised my voice for the end of my sentence, so much so it had stung my throat a little but the job was complete. I could see the frown on Malfoy’s face and inwardly celebrated my little win.

“Something the matter Emily?” Pansy shrieked back, dissolving the small group into giggles.

“Nothing at all Patsy.” I called back, again satisfied at the way her eyes narrowed and her face flushed.

“Leave off it.” Ryan groaned, “I am not in the mood for this.” He leaned forward, elbows on his knees, seemingly deaf to the latest chant about how badly Gryffindor would lose. “Right, enough.” I seethed, springing to my feet and starting to manoeuvre around the seats. I was about halfway to them when Malfoy stood, Patsy by his side like the good little sidekick she was before he gestured her away. I stopped in place, waiting for him to come several feet from me. I hadn’t seen him properly since our little argument on the train and was thankful for it.

“Have you lot seriously got nothing better to do?”

“Nowhere I’d rather be than watching Weasley make a fool of himself.” My teeth were clenched so hard on the inside of my cheek I could taste the blood. “That’s pretty pathetic, you know that?”

“I know plenty of things.” His eyes caught the hovering figures again, George and Fred were fussing around Katie, who looked worse, whilst Angelina was scowling deeply at Ron. “Well, let’s see how you fair when you play against them.”

“This lot?” His scoff and look of pure indignation were pushing me far closer to the line than I wanted. I sighed, determined not to rise to his usual level of nastiness. “You ever get tired of being so horrible?”

He laughed at that, and it was worse than any cruel words he could have flung back at me. I instantly regretted any slight hint of pity I had felt for him. “You’re not even worth my time.” I spit back, twisting on my toes and planning to storm back up to an even more worried Ryan. “I’d second that. I’ve got far better things to do than worry about some pathetic little half-breed.”

“Breed?” This caught me and I turned back to face him, “Forgetting simple words like blood now are we?”

“I meant breed.” I was at a loss, and that must have shown in my face because he falsely chuckled to himself again, “Because,” he wishes he had an audience now, that’s obvious from the way his eyes dart side to side almost automatically that’s he used to it. “From the way it sounds she was barely human when she topped herself, was she? And you really don’t want to upset me, my family are close.”

It’s quite possibly the most deafening silence I’ve ever experienced. The hoots of the other Slytherins' are still going on but it’s like a television on mute. Their mouths open and close but there’s nothing.

Slowly the sounds creep back in to focus, it’s my heartbeat first, thundering in my chest and ringing in my ears. Other noises slowly make their way back, but I’m glued to Draco, not sure why I haven’t already gone for my wand, furious by the tears gathering in my eyes and the slightly guilty look glinting in his.

“What?” The word croaks, lump in my throat close to suffocating. “What did you just say?”

“Amelia!” Ryan’s footsteps are thunderous, and Draco takes several steps back as he approaches, “Look at Katie, oh no…we need to...” He isn’t oblivious to the tension and his worried face darkens instead, “What’s up…” his gaze turns to Draco, who is starting to look a little worried by the turn of events. “You do something?” It’s unusual to see Ryan get riled up, and of all things that snaps me out of my horrified daze.

“N..nothing, come on, leave it.” Malfoy looks shocked, and I am, clearing my throat to get rid of the upset lodged there. The rage that should have built up, should be erupting from me has cooled and my stomach feels like a black hole. I can barely even look at him now, I want nothing more than to be as far away from him as possible. I lie, “He didn’t do anything, come on. Let’s sort Katie out.”
___

The rest of the day was a daze, and Sunday was little better. We’d gone out to by the lake – by far not the only ones to have had this idea and done a little homework, complaining about how much of our work was expected to be non-verbal. Katie was fine, Madam Pomfrey had sorted her out in no time. That wasn’t a worry, although both Ron and the twins had felt awful.

I couldn’t stop hearing Draco’s words. The implication behind them, the fact he must know something, someone had told him. Was it one of their family stories? Remember the time Aunty Bellatrix drove three people to insanity? It made me feel sick, worse than sick; almost like I had done the moment he had finished speaking. Empty, vacant.

I was drifting the rest of the weekend, and it was only Monday that I felt more like myself again. Unfortunately I hadn’t picked a good time, and my mood was worse. I wasn’t empty now, I was angry, and I managed to take it out on Professor Umbridge with one sarcastic comment and snap too far. I’d been banished twenty minutes before the end of the lesson, my heart fluttering, teeth grit. She hadn’t been much better, her stubby finger was jabbing at me and her cheeks were a bright red.

I’d slammed the door purposefully, although no doubt I’d pay for that later. At that moment I didn’t care, making my way back to the common room as quickly as I could, barely above kicking every corner I swung around. I wanted nothing more than to continue my toddler-like tantrum in my bedroom but I was caught long before that and frigidly perched myself on the armchair as requested, my fingers still itching to form fists.

He sat opposite on the small table, long legs twisted almost comically and brushing against my own. He gives me a few seconds at least before he spoke.

“What’s wrong?”

“Umbridge.” Her name was a growl and he let out a noise in agreement.

“Not just her though, is it? You’ve been off since Saturday.” He pauses, “What did Malfoy say?” He points a little triumphantly at my face, “I knew it. Come on, how badly do I need to hex him?”

“Don’t be stupid.” I argue weakly, rubbing a hand over my face. “I’m alright, nothing happened.”

“Yeah,” He pretends to muse, “Sure looks like nothing happened. Ryan said when he came over you were being off.”

“Came over to check that Katie wasn’t bleeding to death.” I reminded, “Thanks to you and your brothers.” He brushes the fact away, “No harm, no foul.”

“Lots of blood for ‘no harm’.” I snap.

“Comes with the game.”

“Comes with your stupid inventions.”

His brows come together for a moment, “I’ll let that go. Since I know deep down just how supportive you are of our dreams.” I don’t say anything, not thinking quickly enough for any sort of witty response. The mood changes and the rarely seen serious side of George Weasley comes out. “Honestly though Amelia. He say anything we need to deal with?” My shrug isn’t enough and he prods, “I am not above hurting the little shit.”

“You’ll be joining me with Umbridge if you do.” The joke falls flat and his silence is an invitation I know I need to take. “He was just doing his usual, being awful and then he…” My throat feels thick again and I try to clear it, not wanting the pitiful look that’s spreading over his long face, “He mentioned my Mum. I think…I think he knows what she did, what happened and I just…” I force out a few barks of laughter, preferring that to becoming upset again, “I don’t know why I assumed he wouldn’t know, I mean – why would he not? It’s just the way he said it, like he got it and it just…” I trail off, I’d been speaking so quickly it had all been gibberish at the end. “It upset me, to think he knew.”

“What exactly did he say?” The normally playful glint in his eyes is missing.

“It really doesn’t matter George. I just took it badly.”

“It matters if you’re this upset.”

“I’m not upset. I’m angry. I’m angry at Umbridge, and Malfoy and myself, and her, and it’s stupid and you are not getting involved and doing anything you'll regret!” He is a blur.

“Sure.” His voice is deadpan and I know exactly what that means.

“I mean it, we can't do anything to Malfoy as it stands. With Harry, and his Dad…”

“What did he say?” There’s no escaping it much further. Hearing myself say it is an out of body experience, it sounds almost ridiculous, laughable but George’s face darkens even further. “He mentioned Bellatrix?” I bite my cheek to avoid visibly flinching at her name, although it sends a spark through me. “Hinted, all he’s done is hint, tried to get me riled up – and it worked didn’t it?”

“Why would he even do that though? She’s been in Azkaban for years.”

“Exactly.”

“Exactly.” He mimics, although he’s clearly on another line of thought. His lips purse, practically invisible, “I’m gunna write to Dad, code it somehow but I don’t like the sound of it.”

“Please don’t risk...”

“It’s not.” He sighed deeply, “The only problem is I don’t know how much we can do, Malfoy wise, without,like, creating suspicion, especially with what they all think of my family. We don’t need them prying deeper and working it out about the Order.”

I nod, moving my legs to one side as he stands. His hands loop around my wrists and pull me upwards, enveloping me in an overly comforting hug, “You’ll be fine, okay?”

“I know. Just being stupid.”

“You’re never stupid.” I draw away a little, fluffing up my hair and trying to appear a lot further away from tears. “It was stupid to get a detention with Professor Umbridge.”

“Yeah, that was pretty dumb.” I laugh then, properly and as he sits in the chair I’ve just vacated I end up half squished on his lap. The common room is practically empty, all of the sixth years are in lesson and there’s just Angelina and Alicia in the corner, muttering about charms.

“Don’t let Malfoy get to you, he’s on high alert because Harry knows about daddy-dearest, and you know me...I’d never let anything happen to you. I am the nice twin after all.” One of his hands land on mine, squeezing gently as he speaks.

He finished must less sincere than he started and I smiled, him holding my gaze for a few seconds longer than necessary, his face flushing slightly as he finally moved his eye-line from my own. I’m suddenly very aware of just how much of my body is touching his and bite my lip. I feel awkward, something so rare to happen with either of the twins I don’t know how to react. His fingers gently brushing some of my hair where it’s fallen across his chest just maximises that. “I know, thank you, and thank you for listening to me go on and whinge.”

“Hardly."