Status: work in progress

Weakness

The Letter

"Are you going to spend the entirety of your break in here?" Sidonia Widdersham called from the doorway of her daughter's bedroom.

Ellietta did not reply. She simply stared at her window, as she had been doing since she'd arrived home. She had not yet heard from Draco, who had promised to inundate her with owls. Her mother had been trying to engage her in conversation since she'd stepped off the train in King's Cross Station but Ellietta couldn't be bothered with her. Instead she opted to wait at her window for an owl that, it seemed, may never come.

"Ellietta!" her mother's voice became louder, "Answer me when I speak to you! I've had just about enough of your nonsense. Come downstairs at once and at least pretend to be a normal child for once. Humor me, for Merlin's sake!"

"I'll not humor you," Ellietta did not turn from the window, "You've never humored me."

"What is this all about?" Sidonia's eyes narrowed, "You and I may never have gotten on as most mothers and daughters do but you at least could carry on a conversation with me when the occasion called for it. Now you just sulk in your room. Something's off with you. Tell me what is then. A boy perhaps?"

"Perhaps," Ellietta replied.

"And I don't suppose you'd share his name?" her mother pressed.

"I fail to see how that is any of your business," she drawled, finally meeting her mother's gaze.

At that moment a majestic Eagle Owl swooped in the open window and landed on Ellietta's desk with a clatter. A piece of tightly rolled parchment was lashed to it's leg and Ellietta wasted no time removing it. She shooed the owl toward the open cage in the corner of the room, where a dish of water sat. Anona, the owl which usually inhabited the cage, was out for a hunt. This was a bit of luck considering she always tried to defeather other owls that got too close.

"That owl belongs to the Malfoys," The elder Widdersham's voice was barely above a whisper.

"Brilliant, Mother," Ellietta deadpanned, "Your powers of observation are unparalleled."

"Give me the letter," and though her voice was still soft there was no mistake that this was a command.

"It's addressed to me," Ellietta made no move to do as she was told.

"Accio letter!" Sidonia cried and the letter floated into her hand.

She turned on her heel and marched down the stairs, her daughter's letter clenched tightly in her fingers. She could hear Ellietta's footsteps, padding down the stairs after her. No doubt she wanted her letter back. Sidonia muttered, "Colloportus" as she shut the kitchen door, knowing her daughter would be unable to get in. She could perform a simple Alohamora, that was no problem, it was that underage magic was illegal outside the walls of Hogwarts that would keep Ellietta out of the kitchen. She banged on the sealed door, yelling for the return of her property to no avail. Meanwhile Sidonia sat in the chair by the fire and unrolled the parchment.

Ellie,

I'm terribly sorry for not having written sooner. I haven't much of an excuse, other than that I'm an idiot. At least I can admit it, right? I hope you are enjoying your holiday. I've been enjoying mine but Pansy will be arriving soon so it's probably going to be a bit less enjoyable after that. I wish I was spending the holidays with you instead. I can't wait to see you again. I miss you more than I thought I would. I fell asleep in front of the fire last night and when I woke up this morning I thought for a moment I was in the common room and you were by my side. You weren't though and I wished very much that you were. Perhaps when we return to Hogwarts we could accidentally fall asleep in front of the fire, like last time? I quite liked that.

Sincerely Yours,
Draco Lucius Malfoy


The kitchen door clicked open and Ellietta held her hand out expectantly. Her mother walked by her without so much as a word.

"My letter, Mother," Ellietta demanded, "Where is my letter?"

"I burned it," Sidonia shrugged, "I don't want you associating with that Malfoy boy. He's bad news."

"Have you met him?" Ellietta asked, "You really should meet a person before you pass judgement. I've met him and I don't think he's bad news at all."

"You listen and you listen well," Sidonia hissed, "You are not to go anywhere near that Malfoy boy or there will be dire consequences. No letters, no tomfoolery in the common room, no nothing! Do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal," Ellietta retorted.

She slipped back up to her room before her mother could say anything else. She wanted to know so badly what Draco had written in his letter that would cause her mother to react the way she had. Ellietta thought her mother was friendly with Narcissa Malfoy so she couldn't imagine why she wouldn't give her son the benefit of the doubt at least. It just didn't make sense. Draco was a perfectly normal boy. There was nothing wrong with him. He did have a bit of a mean streak, but it was never directed at Ellietta. What reason could there possible be to act as she had? Ellietta decided she'd just have to ask Draco himself. She withdrew some parchment and a quill from her desk and began to write.

Draco,

I got your letter but Mother burned it before I could read it. She has forbidden me from having anything to do with you. Don't worry, I never listen to her and I don't intend to start now. You didn't say anything the letter that would anger her, did you? I'm just a bit baffled as to why she seems to hate you. If you write back I'd recommend using a different owl and signing a name other than your own at the bottom so that it doesn't end up in the fireplace again.

Ellie


"Come here, Magnus," she motioned to the Eagle Owl, who had apparently decided to take a nap, "Take this to Draco."

He hooted softly and ruffled up his feathers before dutifully extending his leg. Ellietta fastened her parchment and stroked his head gently. He hopped up onto the windowsill and craned his head around to look at her one last time before taking flight. Anona flew through the open window a few moments after Magnus' departure. She had a dead mouse clutched tightly in her talons which she wasted no time in transferring to her beak where, after a few disturbing crunching sounds, it disappeared. Ellietta shuddered.

"Good thing you missed Magnus," she told the Barn Owl, "I'm not sure who'd win that fight."

Anona hooted loudly in reply and settled into her cage for the night. Ellietta followed suit and retired to her bed. She pulled the covers to her chin and fell asleep quickly. She dreamed of the letter she hadn't had a chance to read, of all the things it could have said. A tapping sound woke her early in the morning. At first, in her sleepy haze, she thought it was Anona tapping on the window but then she remembered that Anona was in the cage in the corner. Ellietta rubbed her eyes and saw a tiny owl with disproportionately large eyes at the window. She unhooked the latch and the little owl tumbled in onto the desk. It appeared to be lacking in the coordination department, and hopped around wildly as Ellietta tried to remove the parchment from it's leg.

Ellie,

I hope this letter gets to you. Poof can be unreliable sometimes. She's Pansy's. All I said in the last letter was that I missed you. I don’t know why that would set your mom off. At least once we're back at school we won't have to worry about it. Pansy is driving me crazy, by the way. She tried to kiss me when she arrived and I almost vomited. Write back.

Sincerely yours,
Vinegory Craboyle


She smiled at his sign off and then shooed the strange little owl out the window before Anona could start anything. Ellietta took out her parchment and quill and began to scratch out a response.

Vinegory,

Your creative prowess is impressive. Poof, not so much. I'm sending this back with Anona so I don't lose a finger trying to get this on Poof's leg. I miss you too. You should have vomited. On Pansy. She'd never try to kiss you again.

Ellie


"Bring this to Malfoy Manor," she told Anona as she tied the little roll of parchment to her leg.

Ellietta's mother did not attempt to coax her out of her room, or even to have a conversation for the remainder of the holidays. She did leave a wrapped gift outside the door, which Ellietta tossed in the rubbish bin without opening it. It was quiet, often too quiet, in her bedroom and she found herself feeling quite lonely. It would be better when school started, she knew, but until then it seemed she was doomed to solitude. This had never been a problem before. Ellietta and solitude had gotten on quite well in the past. It was different now though. Where once solitude had been her only friend, now it was a constant reminder of the absence of her very best friend. Although, he wasn't completely absent. Draco continued to send letters with Poof which Ellietta happily replied to. Her favorite was the one he sent the day before their return to Hogwarts.

Ellie,

Are you taking the train back? If you are I'll see you at King's Cross tomorrow. You're sitting in my compartment and I won't take no for an answer. I can't wait to see you.

Sincerely yours,
Vinegory Craboyle
♠ ♠ ♠
So nobody commented either way so I did it like a regular chapter and integrated the letters in. I kinda don't like this chapter but oh well. Hogwarts again next time and all will be well.

Draco's owl never had a name in the books or movies so I named him Magnus. I figured with the Malfoys' superiority complex it was fitting. And here is Magnus with a very handsome Draco:
Image

Anona, Ellietta's feisty Barn Owl:
Image

And silly little Poof:
Image

I don't know why I felt the need to include the owl pictures. Whatevs.
Comment and stuff if you'd like.