A Song for a Soldier

004.

Image

(Zacky's P.O.V)

It had already been two weeks since we had gotten back from Europe and I still was unsure about everything. I was just glad that the guys decided we take a good break before thinking about going in the studio to start writing so I could get my brain together. "Zacky! Gena is here!" I heard my mother yell from downstairs. I stretched out my arms wide with a loud groan before practically dragging myself down to the front door. She was honestly the last person that I wanted to see at this moment.

"Hey, Zack. Can we go for a walk or something?" Gena asked once I appeared in the doorway. I thought about it for a moment before nodding, I guess it couldn't hurt. "I'm sorry I didn't call you first, just I didn't know if you would answer my calls or my texts." She said as we started to walk down the street."It's fine, I was just getting up anyways. But how was your weekend?" I was giving it my best shot to be as polite as possible regardless of how I felt about everything.

"It was alright, nothing too special. How was Europe? I heard you guys finally got to plan in Iraq." I felt a knot catch in my throat as soon as that sentence left her lips. I rubbed the back of my neck, shrugging slightly. Do I mention the fact that I met someone or do I just keep it short? I'm going with being honest. "It was great, we got a lot of new fans out there. Yeah we did, I actually met someone while I was there. A really cool soldier." Her face seemed to tense up once she heard that. "Oh, really? How so?" I took a deep breath in. Well here it goes.

"Yeah, I got showed around the base by this really cool girl. Her name is Anna. She's been serving for 4 years already." Gena picked at her nails, a nervous tick I knew she had once she was clearly annoyed by something. I grabbed her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "But anyways I know you came over to talk, so what did you want to talk about? And no, I'm not mad anymore about what happened Gena, it was two months ago." Her expression changed completely, a smile quickly forming on her lips. "I'm so glad to hear you say that Zack. I just really came to apologize for everything especially since we fought before you left. I didn't want things to be bad between us, because you know how I feel about you." This is exactly the thing that I was worried about. I didn't want to make up with Gena just yet because I was still so unsure about my thing with Anna.

And I definitely didn't want to ruin whatever chance I had with her, especially since it was a whole different story than it was with Gena.

"Well I accept your apology. I'm actually going to see the guys later and meet up at Matt's house. IF you wanna come along, I can pick you up later." She cheered excitedly, giving me a tight hug as she grinned widely. "I'd love that Zacky, just call me whenver your on your way and I'll be ready." She said as we walked back up the driveway to my parent's house. "Cool, see you then." I smiled before heading off in the opposite direction of her. I walked back inside casually before I noticed my mom sitting at the kitchen table, sorting through the mail that had just arrived. "Sweetie, you have a letter." She announced once I made my presence known by sitting beside her. I couldn't contain the feeling of happiness and butterflies that started to erupt inside of my stomach. It had been so long since I've felt this way about anyone before.

Dear Zacky,
I'm really glad that you got my last letter, I wasn't too sure if I had wrote the address neat enough since it's hard to concentrate sometimes. Anyways! I thought you might enjoy this pictue of me, it's the not best but I think it'll work for now until we finally get to hangout together once I get sent home on leave. Only 2 months in counting :-) By the way, I get to use the internet while I'm aboard the ship for the next week, so if you want to Skype with me, feel free to do so. If can't though I totally understand since you might be busy working on recording or something. Well hopefully I get to talk to you soon. Take care!
Love,
PFC Anna Ramirez<3


I set the letter down before taking the picture from out of the envelope. She looked really beautiful, especially the way her eyes stuck out. We both shared the same bright green orbs for an eye color. Something I definitely could get lost in once I get the chance to stare at them face to face again. "Oh my son, she's beautiful." My mother beamed as she took the picture from my hands. I smiled, agreeing with her completely.

"I'm gonna go upstairs for a bit and see if I can get in touch with her. I'll see you later mom." I said before giving her a kiss on the cheek and made my way up to my room. I turned on the laptop as fast as I could, signing on to my Skype account and searching Anna's screen name until I saw her face pop up. I pressed the send button, hoping she'd answer.

No luck on that end.

I tried a few more times before sending her a quick message saying that I hoped she could call me later whenever she had the chance to and that I hoped everything was going good for her over there on the ship.

That's when my phone started to vibrate violently, signaling that I had a text message. It was from Gena, saying that she was glad I had actually gave her another chance.

I guess I could give it a try.
♠ ♠ ♠
First off I just wanted to thank CallusedSilk for her amazing comment, she really helped open my eyes to see the direction that this story needed to go, so thanks! And also thank you very much to everyone who has given me such great support and feedback on this story so far, I greatly appreciate it and hope you all enjoy this update :D