A Song for a Soldier

006.

Image

(Anna's P.O.V)

I don't remember much after the sargeant major announced that my parents had died, I just remember my knees turning to jello and falling to the ground right in front of them. I was in the process of packing my last bag when I started to think about coming home and all the things that I was going to have to deal with once I got there. I don't know exactly how they are going to work out but I could only hope for the best.

"Ramirez, it's time to go." My captain in command said to me as he escorted me with all my bags down to the waiting plane. "PFC, you're a good soldier.I hope things work out for you at home and I'm sorry about your family, ma'am." I saluted to my sargeant major before boarding the plane, waving goodye to my squad that stood out on the runway. I couldn't help but start to sob loudly as the tears started to fall from my eyes. I was going to miss everyone, the Army was my second home, but it made me even more sad to know that I was going home to be alone and lay my parents to rest.

That's when I suddenly remembered Zacky. He would definitely be happy that I'm coming home early regardless of the circumstances, because that meant we could finally hangout and see where things between us were going to go.

I guess I should have tried to get ahold of him to let him know the situation and that I'm coming home, but I guess he will just have to be surprised with this visit.

Now I only had to wait an agonizing 48 hours until I would be back in California.

(Zacky's P.O.V)

On the drive back to Gena's house, I kept thinking about what Matt had said to me, his voice repeating in my head over and over until I eventually started to get a fucking headache. Of course I wanted to see Anna again, I really did want to see how things were going to play out once we got to see each other, but that was still months away and Gena was here now, obviously sorry about all the drama that she caused between us before I left for Europe.

"I'm glad you had invited me tonight, I had fun. How about we get together Saturday? My parent's are leaving for the weekend, maybe we could go to the movies or something?" She suggested once we pulled into her driveway. I didn't want to be rude and say no right away, but I really wasn't up for going out. "Um, yeah, sure that sounds cool. I'll call you Saturday to see what's up." Whoops, I guess my brain wasn't really doing the thinking that time. I mentally smacked myself as she leaned over and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "Perfect, goodnight Zacky." She smiled before turning on her feet and going inside the front door.

I decided once I got home to try and call Anna again but of course, I still couldn't get in touch with her. "Fuck." I cursed while getting up out of my chair and going downstairs to see what my mom was up to the in kitchen."Hey hun." She greeted as I stood beside her at the stove. "What are you doing up so late Ma? Isn't it a little late to be making spaghetti?" I chuckled slightly, seeing her roll her eyes at me. "I'm making it ahead of time for your sister, she's having a dinner party tomorrow night at work and asked if I could make her some." I nodded with a small sigh. My mom always made the best food, no matter what of day it was.

"What about you? How was your outting with Gena?" She asked as she proceeded to taste the sauce. I shrugged, not really sure what to say. "It was ok, nothing too special. Matt was pretty pissed that I brought her though." I said. She turned and looked at me with a brow raised slightly. "It's only because he's looking out for your best interest Zacky. He wants to see you happy, you're his best friend. Besides, you seemed to be so smitten with that lovely girl in the army." I chewed on my lower lip, running my hands through my hair.

Everyone seemed to want me to give Anna a chance, but it was just so hard because I couldn't even talk to her besides write her letters but even that took weeks in advance to even just recieve the damn thing.

"I gotta get to bed Ma, goodnight." I mumbled before giving my mom a hug and dragging myself back up into my room. I laid on my bed and stared at the ceiling. This was going to be a hard thing to choose.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback again! I'm so gald this story is doing as well as I hoped it would :D I'm sorry if again this chapter is a bit shorter than the rest, but its another filler as to the next chapter, it will be longer and filled with surprises ;)
So enjoy! Feedback is always appreciated!