Hollow Body Got a Hold on Me

Chapter Fourteen

Eric's POV:

I wake up early the next morning, and cuddle closer to Stormy.
She's still asleep.
I kiss her forehead, before getting up, and wandering into the kitchen.
As I cook breakfast for the two of us, my thoughts drift to last night.
Wow.

That was my first time, and it felt awkward, at first, but Stormy seemed comfortable, and that helped boost my confidence, as well.
It was amazing.
It didn't feel like some sport, or game, like many people describe it; it was more than just recreation.

It felt deeply emotional.
It felt like love.
I smile at the memories.
I've gone some kind of soft.
I'm okay with that.

As I plate our morning meal, Stormy shuffles in, and settles down in a chair at the counter, rubbing her eyes, and looking sleepy.
"Morning," I say, suddenly nervous, wondering how she felt about what we did.
She looks up at me, and smiles softly, "Morning."
"Did you sleep well?" I press, as I push a plate in front of her, seating myself beside her, as I dig into my eggs.
She yawns, and stretches her arms out.
"I slept like the dead," she said, giggling a bit. "What about you?"
"Like the dead," I agree, laughing.

We finish our breakfast, and I leave the dishes for later, as we settle on the couch.
Stormy bites her lip, and looks up at me from under her eye lashes, nervously. "Was it, um, good? Last night, I mean?"
I thought I was the only one worried about that.
I smirk. "Was I?"
She blushes, and bites her lip again.
"Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just… it was my first time. I didn't really know what I was doing," Stormy explained, nervously.

"Mine too," I admit, truthfully, smiling at her slightly shocked face.
"You've never done that before?" she asked, curiously, almost like she didn't believe me.
"Yeah," I reply. "I just-, you know, after what happened... I was scared."
The last part hurt to admit, but it was the truth. "But, I wasn't scared with you."
She smiles, and leans up to kiss me softly, on the lips.
"The feeling is mutual," she tells me, scooting onto my lap sideways, and laying her head on my shoulder.
I smile at that.

"Can I tell you a secret?" she asks quietly, hesitantly. Her big eyes searching mine for something.
"Definitely," I tell her.
"I think I might be falling in love with you," she whispers.
I grin, widely.
"I think I might be falling in love with you, too."

******************************************************************************

Later that day, Stormy was finally given access to her new apartment, and it was just two doors down from mine.
I liked the fact that she would be so close.

She went out to go shopping for the necessities and decor items with Chaotic and Rowan; my guess is, the girls dragged the poor guy along, as a pack mule.

I would have gone, but, I was summoned to Erudite headquarters by Jeanine Matthews.
I make my way through the familiar corridors, taking the stairs at the end, instead of the elevator, up to the top floor.
When I reach her office, I rap on the door with my knuckles, and Jeanine opens it for me, beckoning me inside, and then gesturing for me to take a seat.

She sits behind her desk, and folds her hands in front of her.
"Eric, I have brought you here today to ask you a favor."
Shit.
My thoughts turn, immediately, to Amar, and the conversation that we had only the day before.
"The Divergent problem is getting worse; lone wolf attacks are becoming more common, with no obvious motive on the part of the Divergent traitors."

"So," I begin hesitantly. "What do you want with me?"
I swallow, nervously, as she smiles.
"I want you to help me hunt them down; eradicate the problem, so that they can't continue to hurt innocent people."
She stands up then, pacing in front of her desk, her eyes on mine.
"We are planning some big things, and I need people I can trust on the inside of each faction. But you, I feel you are meant for greater things. I want you by my side when we make our move."
"Me?" I ask, my voice squeaking a bit.

"Yes," she replies, nodding her head. "I suspect several people of being Divergent, and highly dangerous. One of them, is Amar Abdulla. You know him?"
I gulp, before answering, "Somewhat; we aren't close, just acquaintances."
Where is she going with this?
"We are concerned that he might be planning something; an attack at Dauntless. We are sure he is Divergent, because, so far, all people whose test results were entered manually turn out to be Divergent in the investigations."

"An attack? Amar? I think you might be mistaken," I tell her, hoping to divert her gaze from my new friend. I don't know him well, but he's not a monster, like she seems to think.
"I hope so," she says, thinly. "And you don't have to give me your answer today, but I will be speaking with you again, and I hope you'll join me."

On my way out, I pass Amar.
Shit.

Stormy's POV:

I had just finished setting up my apartment, when Eric strolled in.
"Hey," he said, with a smile, as he wrapped me in a hug.
"Hey," I reply, matching his grin.
"I got something for you," he said, pulling back, looking sheepish.
"What is it?" my Erudite curiosity is still intact.
"I'm not telling, it's a surprise," he says with a smirk, and a wink. "Come by my apartment at seven, tonight?" he asks.
"Yeah," I'm not going to say no, am I?

"Wear something nice; it's gonna be special," he says as he turns to leave. He turns back at the door, and adds, "No makeup. I like your face."
And then he's gone, and I'm left grinning like an idiot.

******************************************************************************

I'm running late; I hope Eric won't mind.
It took me a while to pick an outfit I liked that fit his requirement of "nice".
I look at the clock, and see that it's 7:24.
Shit.
I'm really running late.
I head over to take one last look in the mirror, on my way to the door, and I hear a knock.
That must be Eric.

"Come in," I call out. "I'm almost ready, I sw-."
I turn around, and there is Amar, standing in my living room, the door closed, and locked behind him.
"Amar?"

Eric's POV:

I sit on the couch, fiddling with the rectangle box in my hand.
I look at the clock; it's 7:31.
I thought girls were only supposed to be a little late, not this late.
I wonder if something came up.
Or maybe she changed her mind.
I sit there for a few minutes longer, before deciding to go knock on her door. I exit my apartment and see Amar, walking away, down the hall, quickly.
I smell smoke.
It's coming from Stormy's apartment.

I rush to her door, trying the knob, but it's locked.
I begin to kick at it, trying to break through, but it's no use.
"Stormy!" I scream, banging my fists on the door.
I feel the scalding heat from the other side, and flames lick through the cracks under the door.
Four comes sprinting up then, key card in hand. I back up, and he slides it quickly, the door popping open as smoke, and heat, billow out into the corridor.

There are murmurs, and crying coming from both ends of the hallway, as the Dauntless gather at the scene, but I pay them no mind.
I walk forward quickly, attempting to enter her apartment.
I have to find her.
Four grabs my arm, and pulls me back.
"You can't go in there, Eric, it's too late," he says softly.
"Get the fuck off me, Stiff!" I scream, and tear away from his hold, as I rush through the door.

"Stormy!" I cough, and sputter, ducking my head to try to escape the smoke. "Stormy! Where are you?"
Flames lick their way up the walls, and across the floor, the place is about to explode.
I have to find her.
I see a still shape on the floor on the other side of her bed.

"Stormy! Come on, get up!" I scream, as I rush towards her through the smoke.
I try to reach her, but I'm too late, as flames engulf that section of the room, and the roof collapses on top of her.
"No!" I scream. "No! Stormy!"
I vaguely feel myself being dragged backwards, towards the door.
All I see is red.

I'm back in the hallway, staring at the door in front of me.
"Is she-," Chaotic is beside me now, with tears in her eyes, and I turn to look at her.
I swallow, as tears fill my own eyes; I don't answer her.
She takes my silence for what it is, and begins sobbing.
I swallow the lump in my throat, as rage fills my vision.

I scream, and punch the wall, not even flinching as the skin on my knuckles cracks open.
I look around at the people in the corridor, all of them staring at me.
I'm looking for one person, and one person, only.
Amar.
The Divergent.

I turn, and run the way he left.
I find him, hunched in a corner, rocking back and forth.
"You!" I scream, approaching him, and grabbing his collar. "You killed her! You sick fuck!"
"I-," he begins, but I don't let him speak. I punch his nose, watching the blood run down his chin.
He's stunned, and disoriented, so I drag him back down the hall by his collar, paying no attention to his protest.

There are still many people, including Chaotic and Four, standing around the partially open door when I walk up, dragging the Divergent behind me.
I pay them no mind.
I don't care anymore.

I kick Four in the gut, when he tries to stop me, and he falls to the ground, clutching his stomach.
I swing open the door, throwing the Divergent into the apartment, and closing the door behind him, as he crawls to feet, trying to escape.
I stand in the hallway, with my back to the door, preventing his exit, as he bangs, and kicks, and pushes uselessly against it; trying to open it.
His screams grow louder, and I know he is burning.
Good.
He deserves this.

A heavy silence has fallen over everyone watching the horrific scene, as the Divergent's screams fill the air, along with the smoke, as I hold the door, blocking his escape.
I wear a hardened expression, as I hear his screams die down.
After a few more minutes, they have quieted completely, and I open the door to have his charred body fall out into the corridor.

There are a few screams from the onlookers, but it doesn't faze me.
The Divergent killed Stormy.
My Stormy.
My love.

I turn around and face the only friend I have left, now that my rage has subsided. Four places a hand on my shoulder, and I fall apart.
I should be embarrassed; all of Dauntless seeing their ruthless, and feared, leader in a state like this.
I just don't care anymore.
My life is over.
She just burned up in that apartment.

I drop to my knees, sobbing, and screaming, pulling at my hair.
"No!" I scream, through the tears. "No!"