Unlikely Heroes

Chapter Thirteen

Cal had only heard about hooking up with Mikaela Chase, but the experience really was something different. He expected to get slapped or punched when he kissed her in the spur of the moment, but what happened was quite the contrary. One thing led to another, and neither of them realized what was happening until it was over. Cal sat on the floor of the dark, abandoned classroom and leaned against the wall, watching while Mikaela avoided eye contact with him and zipped his jacket up over her dress, which Cal may or may not have accidentally ripped the sleeve off.

"I can pay for it," he said slowly.

"I'll sew it back on myself," she muttered.

He watched her a little bit longer as she internally freaked out, probably about what would happen to her precious social status if anyone found out what had happened. Not that anyone would.

"I'm not going to run off and tell everyone," Cal pointed out.

"Don't you lie to me," Mikaela snapped.

"No, I'm serious," Cal assured her, patting a spot on the ground next to him.

"Not even your stupid friends?" she asked, slowly walking over. "Not even the one that looks like a hamster?"

"Leon?" Cal asked, raising an eyebrow. "I haven't heard anyone compare him to a hamster before, but yeah, I guess that's accurate. I won't tell him, either."

Mikaela looked him up and down before finally sitting down next to him, head held up like a queen, as if Cal hadn't seen all of her just a few minutes ago.

"At least we're both better at what we do," Cal said.

"Oh please, I was already the best and everyone knew that," Mikaela said, rolling her eyes as she tied her mussed dark hair up into a ponytail.

"I was talking about your telekinesis," Cal smirked. "I was well aware of what people said about the other thing."

He caught her pause and blush lightly for a second, though she didn't stay like that for long, glaring at him and punching his arm. She glanced at his arm again, where a hint of a tattoo was visible beneath the short sleeves of his t-shirt after having taken his jacket off.

"I didn't get to see what that is," she said, nodding towards it. "That's not fair."

"We both kept as many of our clothes on as possible," he said. "Maybe next time."

"Next time?" Mikaela smirked. "What makes you think there's going to be a next time?"

"I'm irresistible," Cal teased. "Once you get a taste of Bennett, nothing will ever satisfy you again."

"I'll learn to live with it."

They went silent for a few moments, a little awkward since Mikaela seemed absolutely disgusted for being anywhere near him, let alone on top of him.

"It's getting late," she sighed.

"Yeah," he agreed, nodding slowly.

Reality of the time hit him all too suddenly. His jaw dropped and his eyes went wide in realization that he needed to be home an hour ago to meet Annie for a movie, which he'd completely forgotten about because he'd been preoccupied with Mikaela. He jumped up to his feet suddenly, startling Mikaela.

"Did you come here in a car?" he asked.

"No, I walked," she frowned.

"Shit."

"What, you have somewhere better to be?" Mikaela asked, looking a bit insulted.

"I have a date," Cal muttered.

"You what?!"

Cal suddenly realized how bad that sounded, turning to see Mikaela with a horrified look on her face. He shook his head, holding up his hands in surrender.

"No, not that kind of date," he said quickly. "It's with my nan-"

He stopped suddenly, as Mikaela looked at him with a suspicious look. No, she was one of the last people who needed to know that he had a nanny that took care of him.

"Na," he finished. "My Nana. My grandmother. Yeah."

"Yeah, fucking right," Mikaela grumbled, standing up and walking out of the room in disgust. "That poor girl has no idea what a sleaze you are. Or she doesn't, and she just has little to no self respect."

"No, I swear it isn't that kind of date," he said, getting a little angry now. "Who the fuck do you think I am? You don't fucking know me."

Mikaela seemed a little caught off guard by the way he suddenly lost his cool in front of her, which bothered Cal just as much. He pursed his lips, taking out his phone and dialing Annie's number as he walked away from Mikaela. It took a second, but she started to follow after him.

"Hello?" she answered on the other end. "Cal, where are you?"

"I'm sorry, I lost track of the time," he sighed. "I'll be there soon. I just need to get my car and-"

"What were you doing?"

Cal paused and frowned, glancing over at Mikaela.

"I was just with a friend."

"You were with a girl," she translated.

"I was.... Yeah... I was with a girl," he admitted sheepishly, knowing it was no use lying to Annie.

"Well, stay with her, then," Annie sighed. "Can't force you to leave her for me."

"No, I'll come to the movies," Cal protested.

"You're just going to leave her?"

"No, I'll bring her."

Cal was startled by his own words, and clearly, so was Mikaela. She shook her head, but it was too late for that. Annie seemed pretty excited about the idea.

"Oh, I'll get a bigger popcorn, then," she said. "Come soon, we don't want to miss the movie."

With that, she hung up, leaving both Cal and Mikaela dumbstruck.

"No, I'm not going to a movie with you and your grandma," she told him, walking away.

"So you believe me now," Cal pointed out. "And I'm not a sleaze."

"No, you're still a sleaze," Mikaela said. "Maybe not this instant, but you're still a sleaze."

"My grandma can vouch that I'm not a sleaze," Cal added. "She raised me herself. You gonna insult her like that?"

"Your grandma raised you?" Mikaela asked, raising an eyebrow.

"My parents raised me," he lied.

"Then?"

"Then what?"

"I'm asking you."

Cal pursed his lips, shoving his hands into his pockets and shrugging.

"Fine, I'll go," she said sort of suddenly, as if remembering that she didn't want to be somewhere else. "But we have to stop somewhere and get something for me to wear. This ripped sleeve isn't going to cut it, and I don't have sewing needles on me."

"Well..."

Cal pulled his hand out of his pocket and held up a tiny sewing kit, surprising Mikaela. She took it slowly, giving him a weird look. Cal didn't bother trying to explain himself to her. According to Jessa, leaving a sewing kit at home was like leaving your wallet at home. You'll never know when you might need it. And for once, she was clearly right.