When Fire Meets Ice: The Lovers

Luxurious Jealousy

Jura awoke from a restless slumber as the sun warmed her sheets. She moved from her bed, donned an over-sized black dress, and moved to the kitchen. She put the day old pot of porridge on the fire to boil. Her mother would be up soon, and after breakfast, they would go into Lynrei to clean cottages. Every morning Jura would help her mother clean houses, and, in the afternoon, she bought food for elderly couples who were not able to get to the market.

She opened the door to step out for fresh water. A startled cry left her lips as her eyes met a familiar set. William stood in her doorway appearing as if he never moved from the moment she shut the thick wooden door in his face. “What’s wrong?” Somera yelled. Her white gown ruffled from sleep, but her hands held a rough wooden broom handle that had not been used for years.

“Noth-nothing is wrong, Mama. I made a, um, friend yesterday, and he surprised me.” Jura smiled back at her mother’s disheveled wardrobe.

Somera turned to the boy standing on her porch. Her green eyes scanned him as if she already knew his every hope and reflection before she put the broom away. “Please, remind your friend that I do not appreciate being startled, Jura. Take him outside; I don’t want company at this hour while I’m dressed this way and our home is…not at its finest.”

“Yes, Mama. My apologies, I will-.”

“Just say sorry like everyone else, Darlin’. You don’t want people around here assuming we have more than we do.” Somera brushed her daughter off as she went into the kitchen. Jura stared at the wall her mother ducked behind. In her mind’s eye she imagined her mother checking the porridge, stirring it a little. She turned to the man in her doorway.

Moving around him, she closed the door behind her and grabbed the empty water pail. His green eyes continued to focus on her until she glared at him. “What are you doing here?” She hissed.

“I couldn’t stop thinking about what you said.” William answered with his head hung. The toe of his boot pressed against the splintered wooden step that led to her door.

“What did I say?” She sighed. “Walk as you tell me, my mother doesn’t appreciate visitors this early in the morning.”

“You asked if I had ever taken the time to get to know a dragon, or if I lumped them all together as death and destruction.”

“I was right.” Jura shrugged as she dodged a patch of mud and a woman carrying laundry. “You don’t take others into consideration.”

“Your dragon…-“

“Sister!” Jura corrected.

“Your sister,” William obliged with a small smirk, “saved lives. It never occurred to me that any dragon cared for human safety, but your sister did. She did something most humans wouldn’t bothered doing.”

“And just what might that be,” She questioned as she prepared herself to defend her family once again.

“She took her fight away from the crowd; she gave up so you would be safe.” He answered. His voice held a level of shock that surprised Jura. “I wouldn’t have walked away.”

“You could have considered this on your own property this morning,” she pointed out while moving closer to the well. She joined the queue waiting by the muddy well, and he stood by her side.

“Yes, but I wouldn’t have the chance to explain myself on my own property.” He tried to smile again, but something in his smile did not appear warm.

“Do you consider me stupid, Slayer?” She accused boldly. His face grew red as he stepped back.

“Why would you suggest that?” He asked as she moved forward in her line.

“Tis not an answer, William.” She looked into his green eyes. They were much lighter than her own, but they held more depth and secrets than she imagined. “You slept, or appear to have slept, outside my home last night after encountering my sister.”

“What are you saying?” He crossed his arms over his chest as he moved forward with her in the line.

“I am suggesting you either fancy my sister or you were waiting to see if she would come to me this morning.” She rolled her eyes. “Or many both reasons are possible, I suppose. Lots of men who don’t know her like her.”

"Are you insane?" His jaw clenched as he moved his arms closer to his chest. "You have to be absolutely mad to say something like that."

"Why would you continue to hang around me after you admitted you wanted to know more about her last night?" Jura placed a hand on her hip. "I ask again, Sir, are you speculating my stupidity?"

"You were right in the fact that I wanted to see if she would come to you this morning," William admitted. "However, every other assumption you have made about me is preposterous."

"I have never been known for my civility." Jura rolled her eyes at him. She moved in the line, almost forgetting why she had ventured this far. How could a man like this be so...dumbfounding?

"I wanted to see if she cared as much as she pretended to last night," William whispered. "I haven't seen your sister come to check on you yet. Was she not worried about your safety? Does she not care if you make it to your own bed or if you end up with an unwanted by the time the sun comes up?"

She opened her mouth to retaliate, but she found no words. Of all the times she'd gone to Leilani, the dragon had never ventured into the human city alone to see her. How could Leilani not worry about her fragile human sister? Jura shook her head before she glared again at William. "Leilani knows I am not a pitiful girl looking for someone to save her. She believes in my strength just as she believes in her own."

"You are not like her," William growled. The woman in front of them finally turned around with a glare of her own. "You're human," he whispered.

"This is no place to hold an argument." The woman hissed at him before turning toward Jura.

"I'm so sorry, Teresa." She apologized quietly. Turning to William she said, "I may not be like her, but she is a good person. This conversation is over, and I would appreciate it if you left me alone now."

William stepped forward until his lips nearly touched her ear. "I am not that easy to get rid of; we shall speak again soon, Jura."

Chills roamed her spine as the heat of his breath on her ear faded with each footstep he took away from her. For a moment she wanted to stop him, she wanted to scream for him to stay with her, but she wouldn't let herself be that desperate. All that man wanted from her was Leilani. He would have to find another way to get what he wanted. She, no matter how much she melted at the thought of his handsome appearance, would not give into his wants. Regardless of his assumptions, she was just as strong as Leilani.

After three people filled their buckets, Jura finally got her water. She made her way home through the bustling road; traders bought and sold merchandise while women carried their clothes to the stream for washing and pails to the well for water. This was her life, this had always been her life. Chores, hard work, and never any luxury. New wave of jealousy struck her bones as she thought of the beautiful tower Leilani lived in, the beautiful rooms and places she got to see.

She tried desperately to shake the awful feeling away from her mind, but it lingered on in her mind. Her mother took the pail of water from her to pour into the cauldron to boil while they ate their breakfast. Somera brushed Jura's hair out of her eyes and looked deep into those eyes. Jura was positive her mother could read her very soul, but Somera said nothing. She simply kissed her daughter on the forehead and patted her shoulder.

"There is work to do, Mama," Jura announced as she began clearing the table once the food was gone. Somera nodded.

"Do not fret, my child," she whispered with a smile. "You will find someone who only dreams of you instead of those odd boys that come knocking on the door at this ungodly visiting hour."

Jura had to hold her laughter in, but her mother was right. She didn't need someone like William to make her happy. She needed to make herself happy before anyone else had the chance to succeed at the job. Jura tied her mother's apron before she donned her own and they left with soap in the pockets and brooms in their hands. Leilani may have had luxury, but Jura had something more important... She had her mother.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for not posting yesterday. I just couldn't get this written, but here it is today! Hope you enjoy.