When Fire Meets Ice: The Lovers

Cordially Invited Part Two

Leilani stood before the thick wooden door that led to Jura’s small cottage. She had never been to Glasswyn, but neither had Kaian. After a lot of arguing, Eis, Lilani’s father, and Damocles agreed to let the two of them venture into Lynrei even though night fell fast. She knocked again, but no answer came.

“It’s getting late, Sister.” Kaian said. He stamped his foot against the old wooden porch. His golden hazel eyes sparkled in the fading sun.

“Give her a few more moments. If she is not home, she must be returning any moment.” Leilani pleaded with her brother. She moved passed him on the porch only to have her breath catch in her throat.

Jura walked down the road smiling and laughing. Her arm wound through another’s. It was wonderful to see her sister happy, but Leilani did not appreciate the dark haired man who made her sister smile. “We must leave now, Kaian. Our siblings will forgive me if I do not gain Jura’s acceptance for our party.” Her voice was tense as she stared.

“I was rather looking forward to this.” He sighed before his eyes fell on the couple walking toward them. At the moment Kaian noticed the humans, William noticed them. “Is that our…?” Kaian trailed off.

Jura released William’s arm and ran toward Leilani. Her smile grew distant. “What are you doing here?” She asked, almost accused.

“The better question would be what are you doing with him?” Leilani threw back as she crossed her arms over her chest. William closed in on the conversation causing Kaian to step closer to Leilani.

“So you are not the worst of our bloodline,” he whispered to Leilani. “Our human talks with the slayer.”

“Silence, Kaian!” Leilani growled as she pushed him aside. “I came, Jura, to offer an invitation to meet your siblings, to stand face to face with Father for once. However, I can see you prefer the company of murderers!” Her eyes locked onto William. He shivered once before pushing the stench of fear from his bones.

“Where is Damocles?” Jura asked. Her face grew pale when William touched her shoulder.

“He was injured today in an accident.” Kaian said. “Why would she care about…?”

“She’s met him a time or two.” Leilani retorted. Her eyes never swayed from William. “Your new friend cannot attend our reunion, Jura, but everyone is looking forward to meeting you.”

Jura glared at her sister for a long moment. “William has been kind to me. He apologized this morning for his behavior toward you.” She scoffed.

“Who is your new friend?” William asked. “I can’t imagine that dragons have a great deal many friends?”

“I am her brother, Slayer.” Kaian growled.

“Fotia!” Leilani hissed. He took a step behind her. “I can handle myself, Brother.”

Jura stared at the tall boy seeming to hide behind Leilani’s small stature. His auburn locks of hair looked as fiery as the setting sun, and his eyes shot dangerous sparks at both William and Jura. A patch of red scales lingered on the left side of his neck.

William stepped in front of Jura. His face was inches from Leilani’s. A low growl lingered in Kaian’s throat. “Your sister has suggested that I redirect my misconceptions of dragons to you. I expect answers,” William said.

“I suggest you keep your misconceptions just the way they are. As far as I am concerned, you are the vilest human on this planet and the next.” Leilani pushed him backward. “I told you to let him think his own truths, Sister. What have you led him to believe?”

“She has spoken no answers of you,” William defended. Leilani growled at him while Kaian held her arm.

“The sun is setting, Leilani. We must return now.” He pulled her back.

“Tis your choice, Jura,” She yelled as Kaian pulled her away. “Us or him! In a fortnight’s time we will gather, if you are not there I will know who you have chosen.”

William moved to follow, but Jura stopped him. How could her sister betray her in such a manner? To choose the slayer over her dragon blood. Leilani had given everything to prove her sister’s loyalty, and this is what she found? Humans were not loyal. If she ever thought Damocles was right for a moment about her desire to be human for their finite lives, she knew he was wrong now. Loyalty was everything.

“I will not stand for an unloyal sibling, Kaian. I will not be made a fool of.” Leilani hissed as she stormed forward. The air around her grew colder even though she couldn’t use her magic.

“I know, Sister. If she leaves you, then we will forget that she exists.” He pressed the warmth of his hand into her back. “Our strategy has always been to survive, and it will be no different without Jura.”

“He has no conscious thought of the Pagos Clan’s existence. If she tells him, Kaian, I doubt I will be able to grant her forgiveness.” Leilani breathed as they reached the outskirts of Lynrei. “What am I going to do?”

“Start with the siblings who are trying to build with you,” Kaian whispered. “We may not have anything in common, but we will not let you fall without a fight.”

“She is going to start a war.” Leilani said more to herself before turning to her brother. “Please refrain from sharing this with the others. Promise me, Kaian.”

He laughed and nodded. “I cannot believe you remember the promise me whine.” His eyes met hers. “Sevirama used to say that when she wanted but couldn’t get her way.”

“Kaian!”

“I promise you, Lei, we will not talk about this until after the party. If she doesn’t show up we will have to talk about the secrets she knows, and if she does then we have nothing to worry over.”

“Thank you.” Leilani whispered before the sun fell in the sky, and they jumped through the dragon rabbit hole.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited: Oct. 13, 2015
I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. I think with this I am officially caught up until Friday.

All comments are appreciate. Feed back is welcome.