‹ Prequel: Only
Sequel: Make You Feel My Love

Borrow My Heart

Three

posted two and three today so don't miss reading two first :)

Hold it high.
I know you'll keep it safe.
Hold it close.
Store it at your place.


Just before midnight, James toasted the newlyweds and led a countdown to the New Year. Throughout the room happy couples kissed to the ring in the new year. After, the DJ turned up the music and everyone danced into the early morning hours.

Tessa and Paul took pictures together and with their families and had just finished when James barged in, demanding a picture with his two best friends also. Paul rolled his eyes at him but Tessa pulled him in between them and smiled broadly as their photographer clicked away. After, James asked to see the shots and then asked for a redo, telling Paul to smile for real this time.

He obliged. But only because it made Tessa happy. And okay, maybe him too as Delilah laughed at them pulling funny faces at each other. James pulled her into a picture so that it was the four of them and she smiled alongside them. Paul was happy James had found her and that she was as at ease with him and Tessa.

They joined everyone else in the ballroom and Tessa and Paul circulated through the room, greeting their guests. The last group of people they made their way towards was some of the younger guys on the team and Pearl, the new assistant in the PR department that had started that season.

"Tessa!" Beau crowed. He hugged her and kissed her cheek. "You look gorgeous," he winked.

"Never seen anyone prettier," Robert added as he hugged her also.

"Thank you, Beau, thank you, Robert," she laughed as Paul tugged her back to his side.

"I don't know why you put up with these two, Pearl," Paul said. "They're idiots."

"Yes, but they're fun idiots who keep my life interesting," she answered.

"We're still on for lunch next week to finalize details for Pens and Pins?" Tessa asked her.

"Tuesday at twelve thirty," Pearl confirmed.

"Perfect. Now, have these boys danced with you yet?"

"These two? No."

"If you don't want Pearl to have her feet smashed by these two uncoordinated klutzes, probably you want to convince Desi to dance with her," Paul pointed out, causing Beau and Robert to burst out laughing.

"Except Desi and Pearl can't stand each other," Robert said.

"Yeah; she's the California ice bitch and he's the haughty French jackass," Beau added.

"I am not haughty," Simon spoke up.

Pearl shrugged. "You've had your moments. And I am not an ice bitch."

"You've had your moments," he parroted, shrugging his shoulders. She rolled her eyes at him and he rolled his back at her.

"See?" Beau exclaimed as he and Robert doubled over in laughter.

"See what I mean about them being idiots?" Paul said.

Simon shook his head and sighed, and looked to Pearl, straightening to his full height. He extended his hand to her. "Puis-je avoir cette danse?" He bowed deeply, looking up at her with a smirk.

"Way to live up to your haughty reputation," Pearl told him as she stepped forward, putting her hand in his.

"I learned from the iciest," he replied as he led her away from the group.

"They know they'd be great together, right?" Tessa said aloud. This only caused further laughter from Beau and Robert.

"Tessie, if you want to play matchmaker, you'll have to look outside the locker room for Pearl. Dating between front office and players is not allowed," Paul told her. "Besides, I've seen those two go at it on the road. They really don't like each other."

"Oh."

"Come on; James is waving at us and he looks impatient."

"Save me a dance, Tessa," Robert said before they walked away.

"Me too," Beau echoed.

"She's not dancing with either of you," Paul shot over his shoulder as he led her away.

"I can't believe you're still jealous of those too," Tessa murmured as they walked away.

"I'm not jealous," Paul scoffed.

"Liar. You think I'm going to trade you in for the younger version. Except I don't want that when what I've already got is perfect."

"You're perfect."

"You have to say that; you're my husband."

"I'd say it even if I wasn't."

"So if I had picked James and moved to Nashville...."

"I would have kept pursuing you and gotten my ass traded to Nashville so I could be with you. You and James if that's what it meant."

Tessa smiled and stopped him, leaning in to kiss him. "I love you."

"I know; I love you too."

"Here, there, everywhere."

Paul laughed. "Here, there, everywhere," he agreed. "Always, Tessie. Always."
♠ ♠ ♠
Wanna know more about Pearl? I'll be sharing her story very soon. http://www.mibba.com/Stories/Read/602723/Le-Coeur-Veut-Ce-Que-Le-Cur-Veut/