‹ Prequel: Only
Sequel: Make You Feel My Love

Borrow My Heart

Five

Won't you borrow my heart?
Take it, love, as long as you need
Won't you borrow my heart?
And don't you ever give it back to me.
Don't you ever give it back to me.


James eyes widened with horror as Ava began to cry in his arms, loud, piercing wails that when he tried soothing her did nothing but make her louder. Delilah and Tessa exchanged a look before bursting out in laughter. Paul walked over and took Ava and began rocking her, which immediately began to quiet her down.

It was July, the season long over, and James and Delilah had come to Minnesota to see Tessa and Paul. James looked on as Paul placed his daughter in a swing and set it, swaying her gently and taking his spot beside Tessa again.

"I don't know if I can do that."

"It's instinct, James," Tessa told him. "It'll just kick in and you'll forget all about life before."

"What if you die though and Ava comes to live with me?"

"First of all, don't be morbid," Paul told him. "Second of all, that's why we like Delilah."

"When are you two getting married anyway?" Tessa asked.

James groaned. "Now you sound just like my mom and Becca."

"They just want you to be happy." She turned to Delilah. "Have you met Steven yet, or John?"

"Steven, yes, but not John."

"Isn't Steven just the best?"

"He needs a lot of help when it comes to women."

Tessa laughed. "I take it then he's started seeking your advice."

"Yep," she smiled conspiratorially.

Ava began to cry again and Tessa lifted her from the swing, rocking her. "Come here, James," she said.

Delilah squeezed his hand reassuringly before he stood and approached Tessa. She settled the baby into his arms.

"Now what?" He whispered.

"If she starts to get fussy you rock her. Or you talk to her, or sing her a song."

"That's it?"

"That's it. And you don't have to whisper."

"Oh."

His voice made Ava squirm and he looked up at Tessa in terror. "It's fine, James," she reassured him. "She didn't even cry. You can sit down if you want."

"I'm okay," he answered softly as Tessa moved to sit beside Paul.

James stared down at the baby in his arms. Ava was the prettiest baby he had ever seen and he was proud to be her godfather, happy that Paul and Tessa had picked him along with Paul's sister and Carol-Lyne as godmothers. When she started to fuss a few minutes later, he moved her so she was against his chest as he talked lowly to her, rocking side to side.

"Hi, Ava, it's me, James. You can call me uncle Nealer though. You're pretty lucky to have two of the best people I know as parents. They'll always be there for you, and not just because they're your mom and dad. And I'll be there too, just in case. Because you Martin's are totally stuck with me forever."

He kissed her tiny forehead and looked over at his girlfriend and two best friends. Delilah watched him with a soft smile and Paul had Tessa tucked under his arm as she swiped at her eyes.

"What?" He asked.

"Didn't I tell you it was instinct?" Tessa replied as Paul stood. He took the sleeping baby from James and disappeared down the hall. When he returned, he set a baby monitor on the table.

"One day James, you're going to be a really great dad. And when that kid is a teenager, I will enjoy all the hell she puts you through," Paul told him.

"She? No, it'll definitely be a boy."

"It'll be a girl, she'll be a complete stunner and every guy who is even a little bit like you will try to date her. It's the universe's ultimate revenge."

James scowled. "That sounds horrible."

Everyone laughed. "It'll be fine," Tessa assured him. "And you won't care anyway after the first time you hold him or her."

They settled back into conversation about their plans for the rest of summer and naturally the boys shifted to talk of the upcoming season. Nashville had made some moves that James was excited about and Paul was looking forward to meeting his new teammates in San Jose.

"Are you excited, Tessa?" Delilah asked.

"Excited, scared, nervous, happy...it's a big move but I think we can handle it."

"Martin's can do anything," James said with a grin.

"We're going out in a couple weeks to find a house," Paul spoke up. "My moms keeping Ava and then we'll go to Pittsburgh to pack what we want from there and get that house on the market."

"Mine sold fast and yours looks actually lived in so someone will probably buy it the same day you list it. And just think; no more Pittsburgh winters. That's gotta be a plus, you know, with Paulie's old age and all."

"Why am I friends with you again?"

"Can't live without me I guess."

"Oh, I could live without you. Tessa though, she insists you're family."

"And he always will be," Tessa said. "And Delilah too, hopefully, soon."

"Tess-a!" James sighed dramatically.

"What? I'm just saying. I couldn't keep you in line forever. But Delilah can."

"Yes, I am very aware of this. You tell me, my mom tells me, Becca tells me."

"You should probably listen to all of them," Paul told him. "But you're family and this is what family does."

"Not while my girlfriend is right here and we pretend she's not."

"Well, it's not going to happen again that a hot burlesque dancer that is okay with your friendship with your ex-girlfriend wants to date you so put a ring on it soon, Nealer," Tessa smiled sweetly. "Because eventually you'll be old like Paul and you'll be lucky to land anything half as nice and pretty and sweet as Delilah."

"I am not old," Paul huffed.

"You're not, but you're all three crazy," Delilah laughed.

"Sorry," Tessa told her. "It must be weird for you when we get like this."

"It's not actually. And I'm glad to be a part of it, crazy and all."

"Do you hear that, James? Delilah wants to be in the family."

"We are not the mob," he replied.

"We could be. Hockey is pretty connected like the mob and we know Sid; he's like the head of the mob."

"I know it's early in the season but you should come to San Jose and stay a few days when we play Nashville," Paul suggested to Delilah. "I know Tessa is planning to go to Nashville later on."

"That would be nice; thank you, Paul," Delilah smiled. "Tessa, you'll have to stay with us when you come."

"Oh no, I couldn't. I'll have Ava with me; we'll stay at a hotel downtown or something."

"No you won't," James insisted. "We have the room and we don't mind."

"Where should we go for dinner?" Paul asked. "We probably have a couple hours before Ava wakes up and I think James would like it if we changed the subject."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. But seriously, what are we in the mood for? I'm starving."

"Old people," James muttered with a smirk.

"One day, Nealer. One day," Paul shot back.

"Boys, boys, you're both pretty," Delilah said, causing Tessa to giggle.

"I'm prettier though, right?" James asked.

"Needier," Paul retorted.

"There is something special about tall, older, distinguished American boys..." Delilah trailed off with a thoughtful smile.

"Traitor," James said as he pulled her against him and kissed her. "What about now?"

"Things are looking better for tattooed Canadian boys every minute," she winked.

"I can't wait for your wedding," Tessa grinned.

James groaned. "Tess!"

She smiled innocently. "I won't say anything else, I promise."

"I don't believe you."

"Good, because I only promise until tomorrow."

"Why tomorrow?"

She shrugged. "Because it's a new day and you love me."

"Ugh!"

"Brat."

He stuck his tongue out at Tessa and she did the same to him. "You sure you want to stick it out with this guy, Delilah?" Paul asked. " I have new teammates that I can introduce you to."

"I'll take my chances," she replied. "But keep me in mind, just in case."

"If he hasn't proposed by the end of the year, I'm setting you up with every single guy on the Sharks roster," Tessa told her.

"You all suck," James pouted.

"We love you too, Nealsy," Paul laughed.

"I love you guys too."

"Four musketeers," Tessa grinned. Leaning across Paul and holding her hand out in front of the other three.

Delilah smiled widely. "One for all and all for one," she added as she laid her hand across Tessa's. Paul and James looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders, placing their hands over the girls.

"Family," Paul said.

"Always," James smiled.

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
I did not originally have this chapter when I first wrote this story; it ended with Ava's birth but my dear friend KingHankie said it needed awkward James with a baby and this is what happened.

As always, I have a plethora of work in progress stories, some closer to being ready than others. I'll probably post about Pearl and her mystery Penguin next week though since that story is finished.