Le Coeur Veut Ce Que Le Cœur Veut

One

Pearl Leary had wanted to work in PR for as long as she could remember. She imagined herself in Hollywood, spinning a story to make her client come out of it smelling like roses, and fighting with the best of them to get her people the greatest press.

She was at best though an underling, an assistant that toiled at the most thankless tasks for a boss who took all the credit. So when the call came inviting her to Pittsburgh for something that would challenge her and advance her career, she took it.

In Pittsburgh, the stars were it's athletes. In the summer there was baseball and in the fall football. But in winter, hockey reigned.

The first rule spelled out on her first day was that she was not allowed to date one of the Penguins. This was of course they said to protect her best interests but Pearl knew the score. It might be to protect her interests but the best interests they were looking out for were those of the players.

She was also pretty positive that none of the male employees had that rule told to them more than once. It had come up three times sitting with her boss and the higher ups on her first day. She understood the need for that line to exist of course; she had no problem with that although she wondered if someone before her had crossed it given how adamant they were. Then again, she was also in the same age range as a lot of the guys, and single.

She didn't think she was a knockout, but certainly she had been told during her life she was pretty. Her mom had been a dancer and she inherited everything about her petite frame from her but her green eyes and dark brown hair had been just like her father's. Her skin was sun kissed, thanks to being born and raised in California and coming to Pittsburgh made her somewhat exotic compared to the girls who were from there.

On her first night after her first day, Pearl went to a small bar near the apartment she had found just outside the city. She was fortunate to have parents willing to help her but at twenty five, she really just wanted to make it on her own. As nice as it would have been to live in any one of the downtown Pittsburgh condo buildings, they were above her means. Instead she took a place she could afford on her paycheck, although her parents helped her out with security deposits and the first three months of rent.

Moving to a new city was daunting, and having lived her life on the west coast, moving east was nearly culture shock. She was determined to meet people though, no matter what. Her first few tries out had been busts at the busy downtown bars people her age seemed to frequent. This place looked a lot more low key and even if she didn't meet anyone, at least she could enjoy a beer in peace.

She was seated at the bar when a cute guy had sat beside her and struck up a conversation. He was friendly, and only a little flirtatious as they talked over drinks for over an hour. When he suggested that they leave and head to his place, Pearl politely declined.

He tried to cajole her into leaving and she told him no again. She stood, grabbing her purse and turned to go when he grabbed hold of her wrist to keep her with him. He leaned close to her, kissed her cheek and whispered close to her ear. She struggled in his grasp and just as quickly, she felt him let go and the weight of him behind her disappear.

She turned to find the guy cowering under Robert Bortuzzo's stare. He took off to the other side of the bar where several of his friends waited.

"Are you alright?" Robert asked Pearl.

"I'm fine, thank you," she answered quickly as his two teammates moved closer.

"I'm Robert, and these are my friends, Beau and Simon. Do you want to sit with us?"

She smiled politely. "Thank you, but no. I'm not allowed."

Simon snorted. "Pittsburgh princesse," he muttered. Robert shot him with a look and Beau elbowed him.

Pearl straightened. Sure, these three were all over six feet tall and she was five foot three on a good day, but still she looked at Simon sharply. "Actually," she started with disdain, "I'm not from here. I only got here a week ago, frenchie. I work in the PR department for the Penguins; today was my first day." She looked back at Robert and her expression softened, smiling warmly at him. "I can't thank you enough for getting rid of that guy, and I'd like to have a beer with you to tell you that, but it's the number one rule for me as an employee; no dating. I don't need a strike against me, even if there isn't anything going on and it's perfectly innocent."

"I'm sure there's like a pass for this," Beau spoke up.

"Maybe, but I'm not risking my job. Even if we could be Cali wonder twins."

"You're from California?" He asked excitedly. "Where?"

"Pasadena. And if I remember correctly, your bio says you're from Gardena."

"That's right!"

"Well now you gotta stay," Robert spoke up. "You're bonding with Sunshine."

"As much as I need a friend here-"

Robert interrupted her. "You haven't made any friends yet? No, that's not gonna work. You've got us now," he grinned. "Friends isn't dating; they're two very different things by the way."

"Pretty sure she's shot you down at least twice already. Quit while you're ahead, Borts," Simon said, rolling his eyes. "I'm going to go get a beer." He walked away without another word.

"Well he is just a delight," Pearl said sarcastically.

Beau frowned. "He's not usually like that."

"Yeah, don't let Desi cloud what you think of me and Beau," Robert added.

"It was nice to meet you guys, and thank you again."

"Can I walk you to your car? I don't feel right about letting you go by yourself. I promise no funny business. And I'm pretty sure Mario would have my ass if I let you walk out of here alone."

"Yeah, I guess that's okay. But Beau has to come too. I can't be seen with just you," Pearl replied. "But tomorrow you guys have to pretend we did not meet tonight."

The boys of course made no promises so Pearl was not surprised that Robert and Beau did not take no for an answer and insisted on trying to include her whenever they could after that. Simon on the other hand largely chose to ignore her. Which was fine by her, because he was really cute and his accented voice made her skin tingle. Him ignoring her made it easier for her to ignore him too.

Pearl was around the team constantly, traveling with them, working under Jennifer, the director of communications for the team. She was expecting, and although early in her pregnancy now, would need someone to take over for her when she took her leave near the end of the season. Pearl was being groomed to assist in a smooth transition.

All of the guys were nice to her, and a lot of the guys who were veterans of the team thought of her like a little sister. Pearl found herself looking out for the rookies who got call ups, making sure they kept in line and the guys let them know in no uncertain terms that Pearl was off limits. But it was always Robert and Beau who were the first to try and include her.

A month into the job, Jennifer pulled her aside to ask about why Robert and Beau were so interested in her, especially when they were on the road with down time. She confessed to her the night at the bar and Robert coming to her aid.

"I know there are rules for a reason but your life is this job," Jennifer told her. "We're all family and those two are good guys. I've seen you try to avoid them when we're on the road but as long as it doesn't cross the line, you can be friends with them. You need some friends here and maybe you can help keep those two in line when they're not on the ice."

Being friends with Robert and Beau was easy after that, except it meant having to put up with Simon as well. Robert and Beau were easy going and full of energy. They became like brothers to her and their banter backed it up. Simon was standoffish and scoffed at them often, muttering in French under his breath when they were all together. Pearl did little to hide her contempt and neither did he. Their interactions were few and far between but it never stopped her from enjoying time with Robert and Beau.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was originally just a one shot, short and fluffy, but over the last five months, I've turned it into a chaptered short story because I wanted to tell more of the story. I have read, edited, re-read, and edited some more this first chapter dozens of times. I'm still not in love with it. It is more filler than story but it does help set up the rest of the story. It gets better, I promise. :)