Le Coeur Veut Ce Que Le Cœur Veut

Two

In December, Pearl and Beau had gotten the same flight out of Pittsburgh to LAX for the short time off they had for Christmas and had bought tickets together. Simon and Robert had flights out around the same time so they all went together to the airport.

Borts flight was the first to leave. After seeing him off, Pearl wandered off to one of the shops to grab a bottle of water and snacks. With her arms full, she turned, running into Simon.

Her water rolled across the floor and her junk food and magazines scattered around her. "Shit!" She cursed as she began to gather the items.

"Merde," Simon muttered. He stooped down to help her pick the things out of the floor and as they stood, they bumped heads.

"You're a klutz," he told her, rolling his eyes at her.

"You shouldn't have been lurking behind me," Pearl shot back.

"You were blocking the display."

"Wait your turn then." She glared at him. This was typical of their interactions and it annoyed her. "You're such an asshole, you know that?"

"Me? That's rich coming from the ice queen."

"I am not an ice queen," she shot back heatedly. "I just don't like you, just like you don't like me. Which is great, except Beau and Robert like you for some unknown reason."

His expression changed and Pearl felt her pulse speed up as his eyes darkened and he took a step closer to her, entering her personal space. "Who says I don't like you?"

"Excuse me?" She responded as she stepped back, regaining her senses after a beat.

"I like you, but you're not supposed to like us. You said so the night we met. So if I act surly towards you, then we won't become friends. If we aren't friends then maybe I won't like you."

"That's your logic to being an asshole to me for three months?"

"What was yours for being a bitch to me?" He countered.

"You acted like a bitch first in that bar. I only followed your lead."

"Mon erreur."

"Why do you do that?" She growled with frustration.

"Do what?" He asked innocently.

"Say things in French when you know none of us know what you're saying."

"Does it bother you?"

"Yes; I'd like to know what you're saying when you insult me so I can insult you back."

"I've never insulted you in French."

His admission caught her by surprise. "You...you haven't?"

"Never."

"Why don't you want to be friends with me?"

"I never said I didn't. It's just easier."

"I don't understand."

"Did you think Borts just appeared like magic that night?"

"Yes," Pearl whispered.

"Non. I saw you first, from where we were sitting. I thought you were cute and Borts and Sunshine were egging me on to talk to you. That guy had gone to the bathroom or something so we didn't know you were talking to him and he came back right when I finally convinced myself to go up to you and offer to buy you a drink. Borts thought I should still try by the way; he thought that guy looked like a prick." He smiled down at her and Pearl found herself smiling back at him as he continued. "We watched you and when you tried to leave, Borts took it upon himself to intervene so Beau and I followed. I'm glad he did."

"You have a funny way of showing it."

"Self preservation," he told her. "You wouldn't even have a drink with us to say thanks."

"I didn't want to lose my job after one day."

"Me either. Tu es belle. You're beautiful."

Pearl blushed. "You shouldn't say things like that."

"Why not?"

"I'm not allowed to date any of you."

"We just won't tell anybody."

"Simon Despres!" She hissed. "I know you are not suggesting we secretly see each other."

"I really like the way you say my name," he said quietly. He moved towards her again and cupped her chin in his hand. "You have done your homework. You say everyone's name the right way."

"Dana gave me a pop quiz after my first week," she admitted.

He chuckled. "Really?" She nodded affirmatively. "Let me pay for your stuff," he said as he dropped his hand. Pearl only nodded again in return as she followed Simon to the register. He paid and they made their way back to where Beau waited.

"What took you so long?" He asked as he pawed through Pearl's haul.

"Long line," Pearl told him. "I have to pee; I'll be right back."

"I'll walk with you," Simon told her. "I hate using the bathroom on the plane and it's a long flight home."

Pearl started away before him but Simon quickly fell into step beside her. He looked back at Beau who was paying them no attention before pulling Pearl behind a concrete pillar.

Leaning her back against the hard surface, he kissed her, catching her by surprise. Her brain told her that it was a very bad idea to enjoy kissing Simon so much but her heart told her head to fuck off as she melted into him.

"You should be my date to Paul's wedding," he said casually when he pulled back.

"Are you out of your mind?"

"Probably. At least save me a dance."

"I'm not going to Paul's wedding."

"Why not? They invited everyone."

"I'm new though and I don't want them looking back at their wedding photos asking themselves who that girl is."

"You're a part of the Pens family, Pearl. And Borts and Sunshine are not going to let you stay at home on New Year's Eve while the rest of us are together celebrating so you might as well just agree now to be my date."

She huffed. "Fine, I'll be your date. But I'm not sitting beside you and I'm not going to talk to you all night."

"Très romantique," he winked.

"Stop using your French on me like it might melt my panties off."

"Stop acting like it's not working," he smirked. "Meet me back right here; I need your number and another kiss before I get on a plane for four hours."

Pearl went on tiptoe to kiss his cheek before hurrying to the bathroom. Her mind raced with thoughts as she tried to process what was happening. The truth was that despite his boarish attitude towards her, she had a crush on Simon and she pretty much had since she met him and she did everything in her power to pretend he didn't exist except he did. She knew there was a different side of him and she wanted that guy in her life.
When she exited the bathroom, she found Simon leaning against the pillar where she left him.

He was looking down at his phone as she approached him and she was able to take the phone from his hand with a smile. Leaning into him, he lowered his face to hers and their lips met in a sweet kiss. "I should've offered to buy you that drink three months ago," he said. He wrapped an arm loosely around her waist and kissed her forehead.

"Are you serious about this?" Pearl asked, looking up at him. "About dating me. Because you know that means me and just me, right? Maybe you've forgotten that I've seen you out in Pittsburgh and on the road."

"I'm sure about you, Pearl. I know you've seen the worst of all of us and I know I'm younger than you but I don't want to be one of those guys that doesn't settle down and I don't want a bunch of puck bunnies in my bed. If you'll have me, I'm yours. Complètement.

She studied him a moment before leaning up to kiss him. "Okay," she said against his lips.

"Okay?"

"Okay. I want to try this with you too."

"You mean it?"

"Even though you were mostly a jerk to me, you've always been a polite jerk, holding doors open or pulling out my chair at meals. I've seen the real you around the guys so I know you're not a total player. Probably you just used that French to wheel girls anyway; it wouldn't take much."

"It worked on you," he smirked.

"Keep telling yourself that; it was your eyebrows." He laughed. "We have to set some rules though."

"There's rules other than us not being able to ever going anywhere in public together?"

"You can't touch me or kiss me in public either."

"But when you sneak into my hotel room, I can do whatever I want?" He leered mischievously.

She laughed. "You mean when you sneak into my room. You room with Beau on the road."

"What about at midnight on New Years?"

"We'll figure it out." She handed him back his phone. "Now do you want my number or what?"