Le Coeur Veut Ce Que Le Cœur Veut

Seven

In August, Pearl waited in the airport for Simon's flight to arrive in Pittsburgh. After the Penguins elimination from the playoffs and after the team had their exit interviews, she was able to take some time off to fly to Anaheim to be with Simon and cheer for him as the Ducks continued on. After the Ducks elimination, he came to Pittsburgh with her for a week before going home to Laval.

As the season had wound down and then playoffs kicked into gear, they found that the distance was harder than either of them anticipated. More than once they had nearly called it quits but their hearts guided them and they stuck it out, finding their own way to make things work. Over the summer, Pearl took another week off in July and he flew out to Pittsburgh several different weekends.

With summer winding down, they had been avoiding having a conversation about what was next. Simon was due to head back to California for training camp soon and this was his last weekend with enough free time to get away to see her in Pittsburgh. If ever there was a time to talk about where they were going, it was now.

Through the crowd, Pearl finally spotted him and she pushed her way towards him. He brought only his two carry ons so they made their way to her car and straight to her place. Simon paused just inside the entryway and gazed around at all the boxes stacking the floor.

"Um, are you moving?"

"Yeah, in with Beau. I told you that."

"No you didn't."

"Are you sure? I'm positive I mentioned it. He was just so sad without Borts and my lease was almost up so we thought it'd be fun."

"You're gonna live with Beau?" His voice was soft and there was hurt in his eyes as he set his things down.

Pearl walked up to him. "I can't tease you when you look so sad, Desi," she smiled.

"So you're not moving in with Sunshine?"

"No."

"But you're moving."

"Yes; to Walnut." He looked at her in confusion. "It's this town about thirty minutes from Anaheim."

"You're moving to California?" He asked in surprise.

Pearl had purposely kept him in the dark in case things didn't work out but since they had, it was time to let the cat out of the bag.

"I got a job with the Reign to do PR. Walnut is about a half hour to Ontario where they play."

"Why didn't you tell me?" He said as he pulled her into a hug.

"I wanted to surprise you. I got the offer a few weeks ago. Today was my last day working for the Penguins."

"You quit?"

"Resigned. But I have two weeks until my first day at my new job. I was thinking I could spend it with you. And then maybe," she continued as she went on tiptoe and kissed him, "maybe you'll want to help me find a new place to live and move into while moving in yourself."

"Did you just ask me to move in with you?"

"That depends. Are you saying yes?"

"Ask me, Pearl."

She stepped back from him with a grin. "Voulez-vous aller avec moi?"

He picked her up and she squealed as he walked her to her bedroom. "Oui, je vais passer avec vous. Now who taught you that?"

"Duper."

"I'll thank him later because that was fucking hot."

By training camp, Pearl and Simon were moved in together in the city of Walnut. Their home had a strong Spanish influence, three bedrooms, a pool with a water slide and grotto, and amazing views of the hills that surrounded them.

Simon loved coming home to her from road trips and she loved being back in the same time zone as him. Their schedules weren't a perfect match, and he got a lot of ribbing from his teammates when they found out his girlfriend worked for the Kings AHL team, but their lives synced just enough that gave them time as a couple, and time for Pearl to still attend his home games as much as she could.

When St. Louis came to town a day ahead of their game against Anaheim that season, Pearl took the day off work and picked Robert up at the team's hotel to take him to lunch and then back to her and Simon's place to hang out.

"I still can't believe you two got together," Robert said as they lounged on the patio after having dinner. "How does that happen?"

"Well, Borts, when a man and a woman like each other, sometimes they act on it," Simon answered sarcastically.

"Shut up," he said, shoving at him. "You know what I mean. You live together! You guys are in love and shit. And none of us had a fucking clue. Beau and I were around you all the time and never noticed."

"You're boys," Pearl told him. "Of course you didn't notice. Also, I had rules and Simon followed most of them, most of the time," she smiled.

"I told you you should've still hit on her that night," Robert said.

"She would've shot me down. I had to use my French charms in an airport three months later to win her over," Simon replied.

"You wish it was your French charms," Pearl shot back as Simon leaned over to kiss her cheek.

"When are you going to get married?" Robert asked as he lifted his beer to his mouth. "Cause I wanna be the best man or the maid of honor or something. I earned it."

"You earned it?" Pearl repeated as she laughed.

"Yeah. Because I saved you in the bar and we met you, and kept inviting you to hang out with us, so that forced you two to have to be around each other and now bam, you're living together. That's my doing."

Simon burst out laughing. "Vous êtes un idiot. Vous serez la fille de fleur si vous êtes chanceux."

"I don't know exactly what you said but I knew flower and girl in there so I'm going to take that to mean eventually." He finished the rest of his beer. "Do you think a cab will take me back to Anaheim from here?"

"I'll drive you," Pearl said as she stood.

"Great; we can talk wedding dresses."

"We're not getting married."

"Yet. You're not getting married yet. Right, Desi?"

"Oui, Borts," he replied before winking at Pearl.

(Robert talked nonstop about weddings the entire ride back to the hotel.)

Later in the season when the Penguins visited Anaheim, they had dinner with Beau the night before and hit a bar with a group of the guys after.

"Borts says you two are getting married," Beau said.

"Félicitations!" Kris said, leaning across the table.

"We're not getting married," Pearl blushed. "Robert is jumping way ahead of himself."

"Why you have not proposed to Pearl?" Geno demanded. "You not do better."

"I'm aware, Geno, but thanks for reminding me," Simon replied. The guys laughed and Pearl squeezed his hand.

"It's only been a year," she pointed out.

"You were our little sister for a year," Kris told her. "And you picked this guy. We gotta make sure he does right now."

"If that's what you're worried about then I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about."

~*~*~


When Pearl traveled with Simon home to Laval that summer, she did so with a surprise. She had spent her time during the season learning French and while she would never have it come as easily as it would for him, she felt confident in traveling home with him and speaking with his family.

And when that summer Simon turned to her and spoke to her in his native tongue, she never hesitated in her answer.

Especially when that answer was yes, of course she'd marry him.

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
Another one done and in the books. :)

I'm really trying to focus on finishing a bunch of my work in progress stories so if I'm quiet for a bit, that's why. I am going to start at least one new story, featuring Beau Bennett. He's all alone in Pittsburgh and he could probably stand to meet a nice girl.... ;)