Silent Shadows

XI

I tiptoed down the hall quietly, wincing when one of the floorboards creaked under me. It was hard to be stealthy in an old house with creaky floors, even as a werewolf. I finally made it down the hallway, which I didn’t remember being that long before, and opened Danny’s door quietly.

He was fast asleep, one arm flung over his face. I could see the gentle rise and fall of his bare chest from my spot at the door. The sheets were all knotted up around him and the ceiling fan was on, masking my footsteps with a soft whirring. July was definitely here, bringing its sticky heat with it. I slipped under the covers, trying not to wake him up. I’d gotten snuggled up into his chest by the time he woke up.

“Jesus Christ.” He mumbled sleepily.

“Relax, it’s just me.” I giggled quietly.

“Won’t Zinnia notice you’re gone?”

“She went out on some moonlit commune thing.” That wasn’t exactly a lie. She had gone out, but more to commune with Jimmy than to commune with the forest. As I turned more to face Danny, the charm she’d given me fell across my chest. I had no idea how she’d made it. It was a thin double loop of metal, almost shaped like an infinity sign. I hoped it would do its job. “Plus it’s hotter than Satan’s balls in my room. We don’t have a fan in there.”

Danny laughed and kissed the top of my head. “Well you’re welcome to stay here with me.”

“Seeing as I invited myself in, I’ll gladly stay.” I slung one arm over his chest and pressed myself up against him.

“I’m gonna throw the sheet off, its too hot with both of us under here.” I felt a slight breeze and then heard him groan. “God Ronnie, you’re trying to kill me.” I glanced down at what I was wearing. I’d forgotten I’d skipped on putting on pants when I put on my pajamas. I was only wearing a big t-shirt and my underwear.

“I didn’t plan that actually.” I felt one of his hands curl around my thigh, sliding down to my knee before hitching my leg up to rest across him. “Nice Danny.”

“What?” He said innocently. His hand was still on my leg, not that I minded. I thanked God that I’d actually shaved my legs for the first time in weeks. I had a feeling my ass was hanging out of the back of my shirt and if one of the guys came in we were fucked, but I was too happy to really care. Of course, I had to sneak out early, which made me sad that we had to hide it. But he was right: I hadn’t shifted yet and he was almost nine years older than me. Matt wouldn’t be happy about it at all.

That didn’t keep me from sneaking back into his room once everyone was gone for the day. We’d gotten lucky and we were alone in the house. Somehow he hadn’t gotten called for any duties yet today.

At first we were just laying there on our backs looking at each other. Then Danny reached for me and I melted into his kiss. Soon he moved on top of me, every line and curve of my body fitting into his like we were made to fit together. He was careful to keep his weight off me, but that burning heat was back, setting my body ablaze. I didn’t know if it was hormones or just the affect that Danny had on me. Either way, I liked it. I had a feeling if we kept this up, I’d grow to crave it.

He kissed my neck, biting down gently. I let out a soft moan and bucked my hips up to get closer to him. Then his warmth was gone and I opened my eyes to see a very angry Zinnia standing there. Without a word she grabbed my hand and started pulling me down the hallway. Her eyes practically flashed, she was so mad.

“Did that whole talk yesterday go in one ear and out the other?” She demanded.

“Cockblocker." I muttered, crossing my arms over my chest.

“I don't understand that phrase.”

“It means he has a cock and you blocked it from going in me.”

She paled. “No! Not before you shift, it wouldn't be safe!”

“I'm not made of glass. And do male werewolves have some kind of super dick that'll kill me?”

“They are extremely aggressive and can get out of control. I won't allow you to be hurt because of hormones.”

“My own might kill me as it is.”

“Think of it this way. Daniel would not be able to live with himself if he were to hurt you, even by accident.”

“He wouldn't.” I knew he couldn’t. He was far too gentle to do anything like that.

“Not even he can be sure of that.”

“It’s not like you can't put me back together again.”

She threw her hands up. “Do what you want. I mean what does the 200 year old Fae know? But I will not heal you because of your own recklessness.”
“Zin, I'm not questioning the fact that you're older and more experienced. I'm pissed off because female wolf hormones are really powerful and they're raging right now. Which means I'm about ready to sleep with you even.”

She frowned. “But I could not give you the relief you require. Only a male of your kind can.”

“That's not the point. The point is I'm freaking horny and every one of them out there can smell it.” Well, they could if they were home. Thank God no one was in the house to hear this.

“At least they're not fighting for that honor. I've seen that. They respect each other enough to recognize Danny's claim on you.” I squirmed slightly and she smiled. “The Goddess has blessed you with the rare gift of love.”

“Yeah, she also blessed me with being unable to shift until I'm 21, which makes me a liability. Especially if he pulls another one of those dumbass moves in a fight. He seriously has a white knight complex.”

“Everything she does is for a reason, I assure you.”

“She better have a great reason for making him hurt himself because of me.”

“Have you ever thought of what might have happened to you if he hadn't intervened? We might not be having this discussion.” She was right. I would have been sucker food if he hadn’t jumped in.

“Doesn't make him any less stupid and brave and chivalrous and all that.”

“These wolves are special, even for their own race. You are lucky to have caught Danny's eye. He will make an excellent mate.” I just looked at her.

“Weren't you the one throwing him across the room a couple minutes ago?”

“Just until you shift for the first time. Then you can do all the...humping...you want.”

I flung myself back on the bed. “That's not for another two months! I'll explode before then.”

“I am sorry for that, it is hard. Believe it or not I am still a 'teenager' myself.”

“You aren't a female werewolf before her first shift. This is maddening! God, you're gonna have to booby trap our room so I don't get out tonight.”

“I have a feeling Matthew will be able to better prevent you from doing something rash.”

“Oh no.” My heart sank into my stomach. “You’re not gonna tell him, are you?”

“I have to, to protect you.”

“Zinnia, no.”