Silent Shadows

XVIII

I stretched out cautiously, testing my new body. I got up slowly, unused to having four feet. I paced around Danny, getting used to the feeling. Then I took off running.

It was like nothing I’d ever experienced before. The feeling was just…indescribable. Like pure freedom and adrenaline and joy, thrown in a blender without a top on it. Danny and I ran through the woods, our paw steps thundering through the quiet forest.

As we broke through the trees, I saw the river racing past. I skidded to a stop and padded over to look in the clear water. A silver wolf with brown eyes looked back at me. She looked proud, regal almost.

This is me. This is who I’m supposed to be.

After spending the whole night test driving my new body, I was absolutely exhausted. The shift had taken a lot out of me. Then came the “how the fuck do I get back to being a human” problem. But as soon as I thought it, I was back to my human form, naked, in front of my naked boyfriend. My naked boyfriend who no longer had an order from the alpha to keep his hands off me.

“Hey gorgeous.” I said, looking up at him.

“Not in the forest. Especially since Zinnia is about to walk through the kitchen door with some clothes for you.” Danny said, looking over my shoulder. I yelped and hopped behind a tree before someone else could see my naked ass. He did the same, covering his private bits so Zin could bring me clothes.

“Everything go all right?” She asked, handing me a stack of clothes.

“It went fantastically.” I got dressed quickly, Danny yanking on the jeans he’d been wearing last night. “Now its nap time for Ronnie.”

Matt stopped us on our way through the kitchen. “We should do this now before something else happens.”

“Do what?” I asked.

“Make you a pack member. All you have to do is say, “I swear,” once Matt finishes the whole oath thing.” Jimmy explained. The whole pack was crowded into the kitchen. George, Dylan and Jordan came into the middle of the circle with me.

“You guys too?” Matt grinned.

“We figured we might as well.” George shrugged, a wide smile on his face.

“All right then.” Matt cleared his throat. When he spoke again, it was in the double tone of the alpha. “Do you swear to protect the pack, fight for our brothers- and sister-, defend and obey the alpha?”

“I swear.” We chorused.

“Welcome to the pack.” Matt dipped his head to us. “Ronnie, you can go out alone now. Raymond’s boys won’t be able to take you anymore.”

“I’d like to see them try now.” I’d seen the size of my teeth last night, and I knew the damage they could do.

“Go get some rest kid. You had a rough night.” Jimmy patted my shoulder. I held my hand out for Danny and he took it.

“Oh, and I don’t wanna hear any moans from your room today.” Matt warned.

“Is that an order?” I couldn’t tell.

“Yes. Kinda. Well, if you do anything do it quietly.” Matt waved us away.

As soon as I lay down on the bed I fell fast asleep. So much for passion and romance. Then when I woke up, Johnny called us to help with the building.

“Later.” Danny whispered in my ear. Shivers raced down my spine and I nodded, unable to say anything.

With twelve werewolves and a Fae working on the house, building was going quickly. We’d already gotten the rooms sectioned off and we were starting the walls soon. I’d noticed I was stronger now, and my senses were sharper. Bonus of finally shifting I guess.

When I reached into that place inside of me where my wolf lived, there was no padlock on her cage anymore. It was more like a door I chose to keep closed, but could open freely. As long as she didn’t have to fight to come out like she did last night, I would be happy. That shit hurt so much I was surprised I wasn’t screaming blue murder.

That night, I was changing into a clean shirt when Danny ambushed me. I’d just taken off my nasty sweaty shirt and was standing in just my jeans and a bra when he came in.

“Want your birthday present now?” He whispered, his rough hands sliding up my exposed stomach. I almost melted into a pile of mush when he started kissing my neck.

He certainly was aggressive when it came to getting me out of my clothes. One hand went to work on my bra hooks and the other to my jeans. It was time to turn the tables on him. I turned in his arms before he could get my jeans off and yanked his shirt over his head, pushing him down on the bed in the same motion.

I think both of us were about to explode with sexual frustration by now, but I wouldn’t let him up to get his jeans off. I was sitting on his hips, holding his hands above his head.

“You’re killing me Ronnie.” He moaned. I just laughed and bit his neck. “Oh you wanna play it that way?” He flipped us over so he was on top of me and traced teasing circles on my stomach, just above where I needed him to be.

“Don’t fucking tease me Danny.” I groaned, bucking my hips. “Have mercy.”

“You can have more than mercy.”

When we finished, the sheets lay tangled around us. Even with the fan going full blast it was still hotter than Hell in there. I wasn’t quiet at all, and we’d probably be hearing about it from Matt in the morning. At this point, I didn’t care at all. I stretched languidly and curled in closer to Danny.

“Ronnie?”

“Mmm?” I was still basking in afterglow.

“You were worth the wait.” He murmured, holding me closer to him.

--

Matt was a little ticked off at us, but he didn’t assign a punishment so I guess everything was okay. We got to building again after breakfast. The guys seemed to have this macho chivalry thing where they barely let Zinnia and me do anything.

Not that we mind very much. I just enjoyed the view when Danny took his shirt off because it was so damn hot up here. We had to get the house finished before mid-October, because that’s when the rainy season started up here.

I was handing nails to Dylan today, and that was about as boring as it sounds. Well, until he hit his finger with the hammer and swore in some very colorful Spanish.

“Hijo de puta.” Dylan cussed, shaking his hand out. Everyone burst out laughing.

“Dylan, let me do it.” I held my hand out for the hammer. “At this rate, you’re not gonna have fingers left.”

“Naw, I can do it.” He shook his head and kept going. Getting bored, I wandered away to get a drink of water. As I passed Danny, he grabbed me around the waist. “Eww, you’re all sweaty.” I squirmed, not really trying to get loose. He kissed me soundly before letting my feet touch the ground again.

The breeze changed and everyone froze up, including me. I could smell them coming.

“Fuck.” Matt swore, turning towards the side we knew they were coming from.

“They’re in human form.” Jimmy said. “I think they wanna talk.”

“Like hell.” Johnny muttered. “I’m betting on them trying to throw us off.”

On the other side of the clearing, six men emerged from the trees. I recognized three of them: the two from the grocery store incident, and the one who chased me around the other day.

I knew Danny recognized them too, and I slipped my hand into his. Last thing we needed was for him to start a fight over me.

“What business do you have here?” Matt called, standing at the front of our little group.

“We just want to talk.” The man who’d spoken had thick curly hair. He seemed like their alpha.

“All right. Talk.” Matt looked like one scary mother fucker right now.

“We have a proposition to make. Can we go inside and talk like civilized humans?” Raymond didn’t look all that threatening. Then again, neither did Zinnia and she was fucking lethal.

“Civilized humans? I seem to recall one of your boys trying to drag Ronnie away.” Jimmy burst out.

“Who was then murdered in cold blood!” Marcus called out.

“All of you, stop.” Raymond ordered. “We came here to offer you a deal.” By now, all of us were standing in a line, flanking Matt on either side. It didn’t escape my notice that Danny lined himself up right in front of the wolf who’d chased me, and that he put himself slightly in front of me.

“You’re wasting my time Raymond. What kind of deal?” Matt sounded pretty pissed off at them.

“Our packs have been at war for some time. I propose that you give us the slice of territory near the cliffs, and your bitch. In return, we will end fighting and become allies.” Raymond acted like this was a completely reasonable and even deal.

“So basically, we give you a bunch of land, one of our members and you call it even?” Matt shook his head in disgust. “Fuck no. Get off our land.”

“Please, reconsider. She’s weaker and would not be an asset to you.” Raymond pointed at me. Danny pulled me up against his side and bared his teeth at Raymond, daring him to even consider touching me.

“I’m saying it again: Get. Off. Our. Land.” Matt warned. They made no move to leave. Suddenly, John darted at me, like he was gonna grab me and make a run for it.

“I got a score to settle with you motherfucker.” Danny said, stepping forward to slam his fist into his face.

“Matt.” Jorel said, looking around. Wolves were coming from behind us. Johnny let out a loud curse.

Then everything exploded into skin turning to fur and teeth lengthening and bodies changing. It took me a minute to remember I could do it too. This time my shift was effortless and pain free. Now just came the problem of “how the fuck do I fight with this.”

Just use your instincts. Jimmy’s voice sounded in my head. I nearly jumped right out of my fur.

The fuck is this? I thought.

You didn’t know? Once you swear the oath, you get linked psychically to the rest of the pack. Johnny explained.

Let the wolf take over. Don’t overthink things. Danny’s voice was soothing in my head. I had no idea what that meant, but as long as I could dodge it would be okay. Until I realized that they weren’t just coming at me. They were herding me.

Guys! Help! I called.

You’re gonna have to fight them until we can get there. Zacky was trying to get through.

Hold on Ronnie, I’m coming. Danny was fighting to get to me, but the rate these guys were going at I was gonna have to fight.

So I opened my jaws full of large teeth and closed them around the nearest wolf’s leg. That sure got his attention and he bit one of my ears.

Flip him! Matt yelled in my head. So I flipped him over, pinning him down with my front paws.

Go for the throat. Now! Brian called. So I bit his throat. His blood gushed into my mouth and I gagged, releasing his throat.

We’re here. Arin and Jorel flanked me, helping me get out of the melee.

I don’t know why they want you so badly. Matt sounded puzzled. Danny, get out of here and take Ronnie with you. The rest of us can handle this.

Are you sure? Danny didn’t sound too reluctant.

Get her inside the house. She’s better off in human form for now. Matt ordered.

Roger that. Danny and I ran for the house.

Oh and Danny? Matt sent. Get her a gun.