Silent Shadows

XX

I was lying on my bed, waiting for Danny to come back from patrol when I heard a knock on the door. “Come on in.”

Zinnia opened the door slowly sticking her head in the door. “I just wanted to say goodbye.”

“You're leaving?” Thank you, Captain Obvious.

She nodded. “I have over stayed my welcome. They are no longer the young pups that need my help.”

“I'll miss you.” I opened my arms for a hug. “I'm glad I got to know you.”

She walked over and hugged me tightly. “I will never forget you Ronnie, you're like the little sister I never had. My only wish is that I had never interfered with you and Danny. It was not my place no matter my intent and I am truly sorry for any pain I caused either of you.”

I smiled and looked down at the bed we were sitting on. “I think we're pretty far on our way for making up for lost time.”

She shuddered then smiled. “Maybe I shouldn't be sitting here.”

“It's up to you.” I shrugged. “I really am gonna miss you Zin. Can you come back and visit?”

“I don't know. It's not good for me to be here.” She smiled sadly.

“Seeing as I'm the official babymaker of the pack now, it would make me feel better if I knew you could come back and help me deliver my baby.”

Her face lit up. “You would honor me like that?” She hugged me. “I will come back for that, definitely.”

“I have a feeling Danny will be too busy getting his hand broken by me to help with the delivery at all and I'd like for you to be there, so yeah.” I finished lamely.

“Then I will make sure to be here.”

“Good, cuz the way Danny's going I'm pretty sure we'll be expecting one soon.” I laughed. “Poor guy's making up for his blue balls.”

She smiled. “I pray the Goddess blesses you with many healthy babes.”

“I pray that my vagina doesn't turn into a waterslide if she does.”

“Ronnie!” She shook her head. “I will never get use to the way you speak.”

I grinned. “Can't help it Zin, Danny's turned me into a dirty pervert. And I am not fighting him.”

She smiled and stood up slowly. “Well I do believe its that time.”

I caught her hand. “Zin, I can never apologize enough for what I did to you and Jimmy. I am so, so sorry.”

“It’s all right Ronnie.” She had the saddest look on her face. We walked out into the living room together, where all the guys were. Jimmy looked at Matt with a pained look in his eyes when he saw Zinnia.

Zinnia looked around the room sadness radiating from her. “I will miss you all.” I saw her eyes settle on Jimmy

“Go ahead Jimmy.” Matt nodded. Zin looked between, them confused, until Jimmy stepped in front of her. He took her face in his hands and kissed her gently. I smiled to myself and wrapped my arms around Danny’s waist.

Zin kissed him back slowly, probably memorizing the taste and feel of his lips. I knew I would be if I was saying goodbye to Danny forever. “I will miss you most my gentle wolf. May the Goddess protect you and bless your every day with happiness and peace.” She pulled away slowly.

“Come back soon. Knowing this guy,” I hooked my thumb at Danny, “he'll get me knocked up soon.”

Zinnia hugged me. “I have given you my word that I will. Matthew knows how to reach me if need be.” She let go of me and headed to the door, pausing in the doorway. “Good bye my dear friends, I shall miss you all.” She left quietly.

“Goddamn it, I said I wasn't gonna cry.” I wiped my eyes and Danny kissed the top of my head gently. Jimmy vanished into his room silently and my heart broke for them more.

“Come on love.” Danny settled me on the bed and brought me a glass of water and a box of tissues before letting me cry all over him. Zinnia saved my life more than once and helped me grow up. She helped me stand on my own feet. I would owe her that forever.
--

It’s been three long months, but Danny and I finally have our own house. The others are pretty happy we moved out too. On top of the noises, there’s an open room now, so there’s more space. We offered to have someone move into our spare room but no one wanted to deal with that. Smart guys.
I’d made good on my promise that Danny’s ass was mine as soon as we moved out. There’s probably nothing I love more than waking up skin to skin with him. Except maybe what happens before we fall asleep.

I poured myself a cup of coffee and hoisted myself onto the counter to look out the window. Snow lay in a thick blanket over the ground, the sky gray and gloomy. Danny had gotten picked for the patrol before dawn and he’d been gone when I woke up. Typical Danny, slipping out quietly so I could sleep longer. I didn’t feel like going to socialize with the others in the main house, not even to see how Ever was doing.

She’d quickly become the one everyone protected, even though Matt tried not to coddle her. He wanted her to be stronger and learn to fight, and since Zinnia wasn’t around anymore I got picked to be her sparring partner. My heart squeezed a little thinking about Zinnia. I missed her more than I’d like to admit. I asked Matt if he could get a message to her from me and he’d told me that it was best if I didn’t send her one for now. Sometimes it felt like I was the only one who missed her. Jimmy seemed to be back to normal or what passed for normal with him. You wouldn’t think that he’d just said goodbye to the woman he loved forever. I didn’t begrudge him his happiness, but he’d bounced back awfully fast.

I hopped off the counter and went to crank up the heat. The guys hadn’t been kidding about the winters up here. I probably would freeze to death if it wasn’t for Danny.

Two wolves appeared at the edge of the clearing and I smiled, recognizing them as Dylan and Danny. I grabbed a towel and opened the door just as he padded up to it. I blinked and he was standing in front of me in human form. I could never get used to how fast we shifted. I wrapped a blanket around him and started to towel off his hair.

“Thanks love.” He kissed the inside of my arm.

“You must be almost frozen.” I said, squeezing water out of his hair. He pulled me down on his lap and wrapped the blanket around us both.

“That’ll help a bit.” He grinned.

“Oh you.” I kissed his nose. “Some coffee will warm you up just as well.”

“But I don’t love the coffee like I love you.” He pulled a puppy dog face and I had no choice but to stay where I was, snuggled up close to him.

“Go get some clothes on. I’ll start breakfast.” I said after a long while.

“Most of the time you’re the one trying to get me out of my clothes.” He laughed.

“Later. Remember, we gotta go into town with Ever and get her checked out and shit.” I reminded him.

“Fine, fine.” He grumbled.

“Later, I promise.” I gave him a quick peck on the lips before he left to get dressed.

This time last year I was living with my parents trying to figure out my purpose in life. Now I have a home, a mate, and a pack. Now I have something to live for. Something worth fighting for.
♠ ♠ ♠
We've come to the end! Thank you to everyone that came with me on this trip down memory lane!