Silent Shadows

V

Matt showed me where Zinnia’s room was before he vanished into his own room. The room was painted pale green with varying stripes of darker green. It was peaceful and light and it fit the whole Fae image. I felt guilty sleeping in her room without her knowing but I was so tired and I just wanted to lie down. I crawled under the covers and for the first time in over a week I fell fast asleep without tossing and turning for hours.

The thick black smoke made my eyes burn and made me cough. I couldn’t breathe enough to scream, couldn’t move fast enough to help my parents. I was helpless, unable to do anything but watch as my parents were feasted upon.

There was a ring of figures around my bed and the light flicked on, revealing the pack. My cheeks felt wet and what the hell was making that high pitched keening noise? It was a high, broken sound mixed in with sobs. I didn’t realize I was the one making the sound until Danny pulled me up against him.

“Shh, it’s okay, it’s okay Ronnie. It was just a nightmare, shh.” He murmured soothingly, rubbing my back. “It’s okay.” I just buried my face in his shirt. It was the first time I’d cried since the attack, the first time I’d let myself think the words, they’re dead.

When I lifted my head up again, the sun was shining in through the window. My head ached from crying and my eyes were swollen. But Danny still hadn’t left, hadn’t let go of me.

“Do you wanna talk about it?” He asked softly. I shook my head, knowing if I tried to explain I’d start to cry again. He let the subject drop and left the room so I could get dressed. I pulled on the comfiest clothes I had before heading out to the kitchen. Rather than the usual big breakfast I made for them, I set eight bowls out on the table and put some boxes of cereal out and left the kitchen again to shower. It made feel a little bit better, just standing under the hot water and absorbing it.

Of course the minute I got out of the shower I’d realized I’d gotten my period, and that all of them would be able to smell it on me. It was about as embarrassing as physically imaginable.

I stomped my way to the kitchen and I saw Jorel tilt his head up to sniff the air. A look of realization spread over all of their faces.

“The first one who makes a smart remark is gonna get a bowl to the face.” I threatened, pouring a bowl of cereal and wolfing it down.

“Jorel and Brian are going grocery shopping today. Do you want to go with them?” Matt said, his voice carefully measured. Clearly he felt he would be risking a bowl to the face too.

“Yeah, I’ll be ready in a second.” I grabbed a jacket and got into the backseat of the SUV. It kind of annoyed me that I’d hiked my way through the wilderness and there was an actual road up to here.

The second we were out of the garage Jorel started teasing me. “Mother Nature sure can be a bitch, huh kid?” He turned in his seat to look at me.

“Not as big a bitch as I can be.” I smiled sweetly. Brian laughed and Jorel tried again a few minutes later.

“They weren’t kidding about the whole crimson tide thing. I think every sucker for miles is going crazy.” I stiffened up at the mention of vampires. Brian saw my face in the rearview mirror and smacked Jorel upside the head.

“What the hell was that for?” He asked.

“Leave the kid alone.” Brian said simply and the rest of the drive was spent with them singing along badly to the radio. They probably didn’t have bad voices, but when they sang in falsetto it kind of ruined the effect.

We split up once we got to the grocery store and I headed for the feminine products before grabbing the groceries assigned to me. The cashier gave us weird looks when we got in line. You could tell she thought I’d been kidnapped. I just hoped the bruises weren’t too visible on my face.

--

The night of the full moon, I was moping and everyone could tell. I was the only one who couldn’t shift and I wouldn’t get to go out with them tonight. I had a scowl on my face all through dinner. It just pissed me off to be gimped like this. I was a werewolf. I should be looking antsy like all the guys.

“Hey kid!” Matt called down the hall. I turned automatically. “Think you could keep up with us?”

“You’d let me run with you?” I nearly bounced over to him when he nodded. He made me count to twenty before following him outside, and I understood as soon as I stepped outside into the moonlight.

Eight massive wolves stood in the clearing. The closest to me was a big black wolf with blue eyes that was nearly prancing in place.

“Jimmy.” I smiled, patting his head, which was almost chest level with me. Next was a brown wolf with hair that curled at the ends. “Arin.” The wiry haired gray wolf was Johnny, the green eyed wolf with gray and black patches was Zacky and the other brown wolf was Brian. Jorel was gray with amber eyes, like Matt’s gray and white wolf. Last was Danny, a sandy colored wolf with warm amber eyes.

Matt padded up right in front of me, almost asking if I was ready. I nodded and he threw his head back and howled. The others echoed him, my voice a paler howl. They took off running and I was close at their heels.

Have you ever run just for the fun of it? For the feel of wind against your face and the pounding rhythm of your feet hitting the ground? For the exhilaration of pushing your body so fast you feel like you’re flying?

We leaped down a clump of boulders and one of my feet landed wrong. I was expecting to face plant into the boulder and let out a short blurting scream. Time slowed down like syrup again and my other foot landed square on a boulder I hadn’t even seen. Time snapped back to normal and we ran on.

My heart felt like it would explode and my lungs burned, but I pumped my legs faster to keep up with the wolves. They could move so much faster than I could. Matt stopped by a river and they dipped their heads into the river to drink. I was too exhausted to get up from where I’d flopped down on the ground.

I think my heart could have caused an earthquake the way it was beating. Something warm and wet bumped my hand. Danny was nosing my hand and it looked like they were getting ready to keep running.

“I can’t breathe.” I wheezed. He whined and crouched next to me, practically sticking his furry butt in my face. It finally clicked that he wanted me to get on his back and I sat up. “Can you carry me and run at the same time?” He let out a short bark and I took that as a yes, straddling his back and knotting my fingers in the thick fur of his chest. He took off running and I clung to him so I wouldn’t get thrown off.

I could feel his muscles work beneath the thick fur coat. It was like riding a pony, except a lot furrier and more compact. We reached a ridge just as the sun was coming up. I could see the house not too far away from where we were watching the sun rise.

I stank like dried sweat and my jeans were caked with mud, but I was too tired to even think about showering. I changed into pajamas and fell into bed, only to feel something heavy on the mattress. Arin had changed back into his human form and was crawling under my covers.

“What are you doing?” I mumbled.

“So you don’t have nightmares.” He slung one skinny arm over me before we both fell fast asleep, exhausted from the night.