Silent Shadows

VI

I woke up to Arin’s skinny elbow jammed into my ribs, which only made my aching body feel worse. Every step I took stretched my cramped leg muscles and made my feet ache. But I still couldn’t wait to do it again, even if I had to be carried back. I half stumbled to the kitchen, intent on getting a cup of coffee and a couple pain killers.

I stopped dead halfway to the coffee machine, staring at the strange woman sitting at the kitchen table. The first thing I noticed was how striking her bright blue eyes were against her tanned skin. Her dark hair curled loosely over her shoulders. She was what people called an exotic beauty and I felt pale and ugly compared to her.

“Uh, hi?” I said. It felt like there was a magnet drawing me to her. I clenched my fists and forced myself to stand still.

“Hello.” Her voice sounded musical, like chiming bells. I felt even more masculine and gross.

“Who are you?” My sleep fogged mind didn’t put it together for a long moment. “Oh! You’re Zinnia.”

“Yes. And you’re Ronnie.” Zinnia smiled. Matt came into the room. “Matthew was just telling me about you.”

“Uh oh.” I poured a cup of coffee and sat down, ready to hear the Fae scold me for something I’d done.

“Seems you’re homeless, according to Matthew.” Zinnia patted my hand. “Say hello to your new roommate.”

“Thank you.” Every time she shifted a little in her chair I got a burst of sun warmed fields and fresh flowers. I couldn’t believe I was going to share a room with her.

--

I stumbled back, staunching the flow of blood from my nose. “Why can’t ANY of you go for the side or something? It's always my goddamn nose!” Matt’s brilliant idea was that since Zinnia was just about my size she’d be a good sparring partner. We’d been putting it off for a few days, but Matt had corralled me this morning and sent me outside with her.

I’d just gotten my ass kicked up, down and sideways. For someone who looked like a stiff wind would blow her over, Zinnia packed a punch.

“It's about doing the most damage with the least bit of effort.” Zinnia said in a very teacher-esque voice.

“Yeah and I'm gonna look like a pug by the time you guys are done.”
She smiled. “I promise to fix anything I break.”

“You can do that?”

“To an extent. I'm not a trained healer, but I know enough. If it's too bad I'll get Marigold, she's one of the best healers I know.”

“Well if I break something, fuck Danny and call Marigold.” I’d rather have an instantaneous healing.

Danny walked outside just as I said it. “Who's fucking me?”

“I believe Ronnie?” Zinnia turned to me. She didn’t really seem to understand slang.

I turned bright red. “No, no I am not. We're talking about how everyone tries to break my nose.”

“Let me see.” He cradled my face in his hands and ran his thumbs over my nose. “Doesn't look like it's broken. You're gonna have some beautiful black eyes though.” I groaned. Black eyes are so damn attractive.

Zinnia leaned over and whispered to Jimmy, who’d been watching me get my ass kicked. “I tried not to hurt her.”

“I heard that. Thanks for killing my pride.” I grumbled.

“Don't take it personally. I take it easy on Matthew too when I spar with him.” She shrugged. Fae are extremely strong, even stronger than vampires.

“Now I really feel like shit.” I sneezed, spraying blood everywhere. “Well that can’t be good.”

She frowned. “Danny would you like to fix that or should I?”

“It's just blood from the bloody nose.” Dr. Danny was showing up. He was my least favorite side of Danny, since it usually meant I’d gotten beat up.

“Back up, here comes another one.” I sneezed again.

She crossed her arms over her chest. “This is why I don't like sparring. I always end up hurting someone.”

“Zin, I get beat to hell every time I spar. Arin punched me unconscious and Jorel made my nose bleed too.” I was the easiest one to beat up.

“Matthew's will is for you to learn, and practice is the best way, but I don't have to like it. Fae by nature are peaceful beings.” I could believe it. She was so calm all the time, even with the group of knuckleheads we lived with.

“I'd rather have it be you than have to spar with Brian. He'd mash me into a pulp.” I shuddered at the thought of having to fight Brian. He was a lot bigger, a lot stronger, and he was fast. I had no strengths against him.

She laughed her bell-like laugh. “He does like to inflict pain.” She leaned over and whispered to me, “I don't take it as easy on him.”

“Yeah, putting him back together after that is always interesting.” Danny laughed. “Anything else damaged?”

“Aside from my pride, no. Not like I'd let you do another one of your massages.” That week where my back was messed up was hell on earth, even though by the end I was used to the feeling of his rough hands on my back.

She raised a brow looking between us. “Daniel? You know she has yet to shift? She is too young for a male werewolf like you.” She frowned.

Danny flushed bright red. “I was fixing her back. Jeez Zin, make me sound like a pedophile.”

“You males sometimes forget your strength and she's not fully prepared to handle such vigor yet.” She looked at him disapprovingly. I had to suppress a snort at the idea of Danny’s vigor.

I decided to mess with them both, just for fun. “You sure Danny? You didn’t just like stroking my young, innocent skin?” I started laughing hysterically at his face.

Zinnia’s eyes widened. “You touched her bare skin?!” Jimmy and I were nearly rolling on the floor laughing, although I couldn’t really tell why him touching my skin was such a big deal to her.

Danny glared at me. “You shut up.” He turned to Zinnia. “It's not like I was sleeping with her. I was trying to fix her wrenched back.”

“Were you supervised?” She asked.

“No, but that's not the point! And I wasn't the one who stripped her after Arin knocked her out.” My eyes were filling with tears I was laughing so hard.

Jimmy gasped out between giggles, “They did share a bed for the first week or so.”

“WHAT?! Where is Matthew?! I must speak with him on this!” She looked livid.

“Zin, it’s cool. He didn't touch me inappropriately and we slept on opposite sides of the bed.” I said, sobering up.

“I knew I shouldn't have left, but Father was calling me.” She shook her head.

“I wasn't molested! Jesus Christ.” Okay, this is going a little too far.

Her eyes flashed. “I think perhaps I need to take a walk. I will return upon nightfall.”

“Fae are supposed to know when someone's lying, right?” I said, grabbing her hands. “I was just yanking Danny's chain.”

“I did not need you to do that. I know none of these males would do anything to you. Something that cannot be said for all packs, but it is the reason I chose to befriend them.” She said.

“Then why are you so angry?” I cocked my head to one side.

She laughed softly. “Because I am more like Matthew then you would think. I don't take to attitude or yelling well.”

“Well then I'm screwed because I am the attitude queen.” I laughed.

“You are in big trouble Ronnie.” Danny growled.

“But unlike Matthew I am not your leader and so will immerse myself in nature if I become upset.” She looked like she could use a little time alone.

“Go on and commune with the trees.” I smiled. “I can deal with these fuckheads for a while. And I'm banking on my charming smile to get me out of trouble.”

She looked thoughtful. “You're going to need me around. If James can't get Matthew to listen I usually can. I am quite surprised he has refrained from severe punishment if you test him as much as you say you do.”

“I meant with Danny. I haven't pissed Matt off too much, I don't think.” I hoped I hadn’t. That would certainly earn me a whupping.

Zin gave me a knowing smile. “I think you don't need your charm with Danny.” I looked at her, confused, and she just smiled.

“Okay, I’m confused and I'm going to start running now before Danny catches me. Later!” I sprinted into the house, hoping to get to the safety of my room before he caught me.

“Oh no you don't!” I heard him running after me. "You made me sound like I was raping you or something!" He caught up to me easily and dragged me into his room.

"I was just yanking your chain, Jesus! Hey, what are you doing with that? You are not putting that shit on my face!” I knew there was no way I was getting out of him smearing some nasty smelling crap on my face and around my eyes.

“From now on, when you tell people things, make sure I don’t sound like some creepy pedophile!” He sighed, rubbing the oily stuff into my cheekbone gently.

If I was a cat and not a wolf, I think I would have purred. I nearly turned my head so my whole cheek was resting in the curve of his palm. Only incredibly strong will kept me from blowing it and revealing the awful, heart-twisting crush I had on him. If it weren’t for the part where I got the shit kicked out of me, I would spar everyday so he could take care of me.

Danny sighed again and dropped his hand. “Go rest or do something. Stay out of trouble.”

“No promises.” I grinned cheekily and headed back to my room.

It was only when I got sight of my face in the mirror that I realized how bad I looked. There was dried blood crusted on my face and I had a gorgeous black and purple bruise blooming on my right eye. “Fucking fantastic.” I muttered, sitting down on the bed.