Silent Shadows

IX

I woke up in the middle of the night, sweating and thirsty. Even with the fan on, I couldn’t keep cool. I sat up and realized Zinnia wasn’t in the bed. I padded down the hall to the kitchen for some water, passing in front of the living room window.

It was there where I figured out where Zinnia was. She was nearly hidden by the shadows of the trees, but with my senses I could still make her out. A tall shape I recognized as Jimmy was with her. They were kissing- no, that wasn’t the right description. They were practically consuming each other, like the last bit of oxygen in the world was in each other’s mouths. I was more than a little surprised, and my curiosity was raging.

When Zinnia finally came back in, I was still propped up against the pillows waiting for her.

“Oh, you’re awake.” She said, getting under the covers like nothing was wrong.

“You wanna explain?” I whispered.

“Explain what?” She’s a horrible liar.

“I saw you Zin.” Her mouth dropped open in surprise. “How come you two never act like a couple?”

“Because if anyone found out, we’d both be in trouble.”

“Why?”

She sighed. “It’s taboo for a Fae to be with someone who isn’t Fae. And if anyone found out they’d hurt Jimmy. Plus Matthew would be angry.” That was the first time I’d heard her call him Jimmy. She always used everyone’s formal name, except mine. I think calling me Veronica felt wrong for her. It certainly felt wrong for me.

“If you ever need an alibi, I’ll back you up.” I promised.

“Thank you Ronnie.” It was a tiny bit awkward that I had to sleep practically on top of her in order to not have nightmares, now that I knew how close she and Jimmy were. But it was damn worth it to not have to see my parents murdered over and over again.

--

“Danny?” I knocked on the door to his room. “Do you have a pair of scissors I could borrow?”

“I hope you’re making paper snowflakes or something and not planning to hurt yourself.” He said his face gravely serious. I burst out laughing.

“Great joke Danny.” I giggled. “I wanna cut my hair, not my wrists.” He just handed me the scissors and I headed to the bathroom to trim my bangs.

“Looks like Supercuts in here.” Johnny remarked, poking his head in.

“Yep. You need a trim?” I asked, setting the scissors down. He ran a hand over his hair.

“Yeah, I guess.” He shrugged. I stuck his head in the sink to wash his hair before drying it off a bit and leading him over to a chair where I could reach his head. Brian and Zacky started laughing when they saw me cutting his hair.

“Hush up, both of you are looking pretty shaggy.” I gestured at them with the scissors. I finished trimming Johnny’s hair pretty quickly. “Okay, who’s next?”

Brian and Zack played rock paper scissors to see who would go first. Brian won and pretty soon I was cutting everyone’s hair. Matt and Jorel wanted theirs shaved and Jimmy had a particular style he wanted me to do.

“I’m not a friggin hair dresser, I can’t do styles!” I warned. It still turned out okay, I guess. Arin had to be dragged in.

“I don’t want to cut my hair!” He crossed his arms over his chest and pouted like a little kid.

“Come on Arin, if you’re good she’ll give you a lollipop.” Jimmy said, wrestling him into the chair.

“But I like my hair this way.” Arin gave me puppy dog eyes. I shoved his head in the sink so I wouldn’t have to see those heartbreaking eyes. I compromised for him and kept it pretty long, but not as long as he had before.

“Thanks Ronnie.” He grinned at me before heading off with Jorel to go patrolling.

“Why do you guys patrol? There’s nothing up here but birds and nature and shit.” I said, sweeping up the multicolored hair from the floor.

“There’s another pack that tries to take our territory. We patrol to make sure they haven’t encroached on us.” Jimmy explained. Not only did that explain the reason for the patrolling, but why I wasn’t supposed to wander around. I’d be a sitting duck for any other wolf that wanted to attack me.

I also finally got an answer for why Matt went into town so much. He could get word on where vampires were hunting from someone in town and they’d go take them down once they had enough information. Jimmy, Matt and Zack were going into town and Brian was in his room doing god knows what.

“Is the salon closed?” Danny asked, walking in.

“Nah, Ronnie’s Salon is always open.” I directed him to the chair and I started to cut. My fingers brushed against the back of his ear and his right leg shot out straight. “What the hell was that?” I giggled. I started scratching the spot and his leg started shaking like a dog when you scratch the right spot. We were both laughing hysterically and he started grabbing at me, trying to tickle me and make me stop. It was only when I was half hanging over the back of the chair when I noticed our audience

“Uh, hi Zin.” I said guiltily.

“This is not what it looks like.” Danny helped me untangle myself from him.

Zin eyed us. “It looks highly inappropriate and that is most certainly what it is.”

“Are there Puritans where you live?” I muttered.

“There are rules about one's conduct.” She crossed her arms over her chest.

“We weren't doing anything wrong. Right Danny?” I turned to him. He was silent. “Thanks for the backup dude.”

“See Daniel knows it was improper behavior. There is more to worry about then procreating, although being part animal does explain the increased desire to do such.” She tapped her chin.

“Hey! I find that offensive. And we weren't doing anything. He shakes his leg when you scratch behind his ear and he tickled me to get back at me.” That sounded perfectly fine to me.

“I'm surprised you'd think I'd do that Zinnia. I'm 29 and she's barely 20.” Danny said finally.

She raised one eyebrow. “Well I expected for you to at least wait until she'd shifted and was fully mature.”

“Whoa, whoa, hold up there for a second. Who said anything about me doing anything with her? Let alone when she's shifted?” Danny said and my heart crumpled a little inside.

She frowned, looking from Danny to me and back to Danny. “You forget who I am young wolf.”

“You're Zinnia, a very good friend of mine who has the wrong idea.” Danny said calmly.

“I am Fae, we are seers of the unseen and there are things I know to be true.” She narrowed her eyes at him. I couldn’t do anything but look between them with confusion in my eyes.

Danny glanced at me and must have seen something in my face. “Zin, you're scaring her.”

Zinnia studied me before nodding. “It was not my intent, I apologize. I have not visited the forest yet today, I shall do so now. Please excuse me.” She bowed slightly before leaving.

There was silence for a heartbeat before I turned to Danny and said, “What the hell was that?” Before he could answer, the door opened and I heard Jorel and Arin come back from patrolling. “I’ll be back later.” Zinnia’s communing with trees idea sounded really great right now.

I was a good ways away from the house before I started muttering to myself. “Stupid Danny.” I kicked a rock. “Stupid full moon. Stupid me.” I kicked another rock.

Once I wasn’t bleeding and desperate, this forest was actually really peaceful and pretty.
The light filtering through the trees was tinted green and the leaves cast wavering shadows on everything. I walked on autopilot, replaying Danny’s words in my head. Who said anything about me doing anything with her? That really hurt, even if he didn’t know how I felt. I was just a kid to him. Just one of the guys. I kicked another rock and kept walking.

“Fucking shit, that’s what this is.” I grumbled. I didn’t really pay attention to where I was going until I started getting a stitch in my side from walking so fast. I paused, looked around, and realized I had no idea where I was.

I heard a twig snap not far away and I looked around. Just what I need, to get eaten by a bear. I quickly realized how much trouble I was in when I saw a wolf emerge from a large bush. And it wasn’t one of mine.

“Aw shit.” I mumbled. “Nice doggy.” He bared his teeth at me and I ran for it. There was no way in hell I’d be able to outrun a werewolf, not even on my best day. I could hear the thundering paw steps behind me. I nearly ran into a tree looking over my shoulder to see how much of a head start I had.

Trees.

I hauled ass to the next tree that had a low branch I could grab onto. Large canine jaws closed just inches from my ankle and I wrapped my hands around the next branch. For a heart stopping moment, my foot slipped off the branch and I nearly fell to the ground. It was a miracle of upper body strength that I managed to pull myself up and onto the branch. Now all I had to do was sit up in this tree until the wolf got bored or one of the guys came to look for me. I looked down again and saw a very naked man standing at the base of the tree.

Starting to climb.

“Fuck.” I swore under my breath and tried to figure out how to get out of this. The only thing I came up with was to Tarzan swing to the next tree. Well, not so much swing as fucking jump three yards to get to the next goddamn tree. I grabbed the branch like a gymnast on the uneven bars, scraping the shit out of my hands as I swung above the ground.

The only thing that popped into my head was this song my mom used to sing that went something like, “Flying above with the greatest of ease, the daring young man on the flying trapeze.” By some miracle, I managed to make the jump, but misjudged the distance when I tried to lower myself to the next branch. I smacked against what felt like every branch on the tree on my way down.

I hit the ground hard but started to run as soon as I’d picked myself up off the ground. I heard my pursuer hit the ground somewhere behind me. I just kept running and didn’t look back. When I was walking, this ground seemed a lot flatter. Now I was jumping over roots and running up hills. Desperation made everything harder, I guess.

I tripped over a root and face planted into the dirt. My right wrist made a horrible cracking sound and pain shot up my arm. What felt like an entire log was jammed into my left palm. I picked myself up and kept running, weaving through trees and jumping over bushes in an attempt to lose him.

I had no idea how I was outrunning him. It seemed like a miracle that I was still running at all. I burst through the trees and saw the river we’d stopped at during the full moon. I was close but not home free. If I could just make it across maybe I could get away. I had just started sloshing into the water when I heard the sound of the wolf running away. I wasn’t taking any chances though, so I ran the whole way back to the house. The back door banged open as I burst into the house, wheezing and wild-eyed.

“What the hell happened to you?” Matt asked, taking me in. I was soaking wet and covered in mud.

“Chased.” I wheezed. I would have held one of my sides but both my hands were killing me.

“By who?” Zinnia stood up, immediately protective.

“Male. Smelled weird.” I cradled my wrist to my chest.

Zinnia’s frown deepened. “Are you sharing your territory with another pack Matthew?”

Matt frowned. “Not sharing. They're trying to take it.”

“You think it was one of Raymond's?” Jimmy said, looking at Matt.

“Let me see your wrist.” Danny said, taking it gently. I hissed in pain when he touched it. “Shit, I hope that's not broken.”

“I will pay them a visit Matthew.” Zinnia nodded, having made up her mind.

“Zin, they won't hesitate to hurt you, in ways you wouldn't imagine.” Matt shook his head.

“Come on, I should clean those scratches.” Danny led me into his room and started digging for his medical kit.

“If you think for one second I’m afraid of a pack of wolves you've lost all reason.” Zin said. I couldn’t see her but I could picture her with her arms crossed over her chest.

“They would use iron on you until you broke to them and then use you for their own advantage. They're cruel and I can't imagine what they would have done to Ronnie if she hadn't been fast enough.” Matt said quietly.

“But I am Fae, our only enemies are vampires.” Zin sounded bewildered. Danny flipped my left hand up to face him and got to work digging whatever was jammed in there out. It stung like nothing I’d ever felt before. “I thought I had left all the deception and trickery back in court.” She sighed.

“We're just lucky Ronnie isn't too badly hurt.” Matt’s concern made me feel a teeny bit better. I couldn’t pretend that it warmed my heart when he showed that he cared about me as part of his pack.

“Kid's a fast runner.” Jimmy chuckled. Danny poured what felt like acid on my hand and I yelped. Not as loud as I did when he used it on the scratches on my face though.

“It's a blessing from the Goddess indeed. If there is another pack close by, I should get working on a protection spell for Ronnie.” Zin sounded thoughtful.

“Now that they know what she smells like they'll want her.” Jimmy was probably doing that thing where he played with his labret from the inside of his mouth. It looked pretty funny, although he only did it when he was thinking about something serious.

“It might be a good idea to put some protection on her.” Matt agreed.

“I will go into the forest to gather what I need and then I’ll be back. I'm assuming you males don't need to be told to beef up your patrols.” I heard Zin stand up.

“We gotta keep the kid inside for a while.” Brian piped up.

“She's too strong willed to like this so be prepared.” I almost laughed at Zin’s words. The girl knew me.

“Doesn't matter if she's happy about it. As long as Raymond and his boys don't get her. Speaking of which, Jimmy go with Zin when she goes to get the stuff she needs.” Matt was back in alpha mode, ordering what needed being done.

“That is most kind of you to offer but I know how to handle myself and James has more important things to attend to, but thank you.” Zin was probably jumping for joy at the opportunity to go out with him.

“Zin, come on. I can help carry stuff.” Jimmy was probably excited too.

“You're not running in wolf form? Or should I just attach a pack to your back?”

“I can move just as fast in human form.”

“Not as fast as me.” God, they’re flirting in plain sight!

“You wanna bet?”

“You're going to lose.” I heard the door bang open twice and then it was quiet.

Danny was smoothing a bandage over a long scratch on my cheek when I started paying attention again.

“Are you okay?” He asked gently.

“Aside from the fact that I feel like I’m gonna vomit my lungs, I’m fine.” I moved my right arm and winced. “And the wrist.” He took it very gently, although it still hurt. His fingers felt so hot against my skin I thought they would leave charred fingerprints. He moved my hand back and forth and I bit my lip so I wouldn’t cry out.

“I think it’s just a sprain. If it starts to hurt worse we can go to the clinic in town and get it X-rayed.” He wrapped it up with a long strip of cloth, tucking the end in gently.

I wiggled my fingers and winced again. “Fuck me. I’m right handed.” I looked up at Danny and saw him looking at me with a weird look in his eyes.

He cradled my cheek in his hand. “Ronnie.” He whispered. My stomach pooled with heat and my heart started beat faster.

Who said anything about me doing anything with her? I stood up abruptly and left without a word.