Beggin' DeVito's Story

-Six-

He longed for more days like this as much as he loved his son he certainly missed sleep! Even if Renee woke with the baby in the night the sudden noise and activity around the room often roused Tommy leaving all three of them awake he often lay there quietly listening to his wife coo at their son and listening to his son greedily slurp at his bottle as though he had never been fed before, He woke feeling refreshed thankful for Renee's parents living so close by and offering to take their first grandson for the night to give the new parents a break, he rolled over in the bed flinging his arm over her waist and slowly drawing it back in so his hand lay flush against her stomach, she had sprung back remarkably well and with very few stretch marks, she placed her warm hand on top of his as his thumb gently moved forward and back over a large scar.

-

She woke slowly, her head still hazy and her mouth dry, her eyes heavy with exhaustion, she looked to her side, in the large chair next to her bed Tommy slept, his skin ashen a few strands of his dark hair fell on to his forehead, she lay her head back down centring it comfortably on the pillow staring at the ceiling for a few seconds before a dull ache in her abdomen became more apparent, she took a few deep breaths trying to get comfortable only to have her IV line pull at the tender skin on the back of her hand, she winced forcing Tommy in to the upright position, his bloodshot eyes darted around the room before settling on her, she put a small amount of effort in to a smile, he smiled back his breathing settling in to a normal rhythm again tears building in his eyes,

"You're okay?"

He whispered

"Is that what you call it?"

She responded her voice heavy with sleep and muffled by the oxygen mask she was wearing, he spluttered out a small snigger before planting a delicate kiss on her forehead and pushing her hair back,

"I'll get the doctor"

he left the room for a few seconds before returning with the same doctor that had ordered the surgery in the first place, he gently removed her oxygen mask,

"Nice to see youre back with us Miss Marinelli, I'll admit it was a close call we nearly lost you"

Unsure how to react she stayed unmoved mustering a small smile and getting out a small sentence,

"What happened?"

"you were shot, three times, we had a to perform an exploratory laparotomy and had to remove your spleen to save your life the damage was pretty intense and in all honesty your lucky to be here now, our surgeons discovered two bullets and a through and through your stomach and spleen had ruptured a punctured lung and a broken rib"

she moved her hand to her chest to discover a line of staples from her sternum to her naval they had completely opened her up, she felt her eyes become hot and her stomach convulse as more drains and dressings became obvious, she looked at Tommy with wide eyes his face screwed up as more tears fell,

"Im so sorry sweetheart I really am if it wasn't for me you wouldn't be here you wouldn't be suffering now I should never have come back I'll..."

she cut him off before he could finish

"Don't be silly"

Even she had to wonder if she was thinking straight or if the anaesthesia had rattled her brain more than she realized this man had nearly gotten her killed and she was fine with it she had already forgiven him! She wasn't sure what charm Tommy DeVito had but she was well and truly under his spell whether he had meant for her to be or not she was now in his possession.

"she should make a full recovery"

the doctor explained before leaving with a smile, she was in hospital for three weeks but never without company Tommy stayed at her side night and day through wound clinics physiotherapy and rehabilitation classes.

She was soon released but not without the incident having an effect on her both mentally and physically Tommy took over full care of her until the staples were removed it took four months for her wounds to heal completely and in that time she had became painfully distant rejecting Tommy's affection believing he was only there through pity. She became volatile easy to agitate and Tommy found himself spending more and more time away from home, frequenting bars and casinos just to take the pressure off for a while.

He left her sleeping one afternoon after a bitter argument over her pain killers slipping in to a bar and perching on a tall stool at the quieter end of the establishment sitting alone with just his thoughts he took a long swig from the robust glass in his hand feeling the gentle caress of the whiskey making his shoulders drop free of any tension, he paced himself as the evening progressed just in case Renee should need him when he eventually decided to go home again. A woman pulled the stool up next to him,

"Anyone sitting here?"

she asked flashing him a pretty smile,

"Be my guest"

He replied coolly not caring if she sat there or not, sure it would be nice to have the company but was he ready to go back to socialising? he had felt alone for the best part of four months it was almost like he had forgotten how to socialise, she ordered a whiskey asking if he wanted anything,

"I'll get it"

He stated bluntly throwing a twenty on to the bar, the conversation began to flow freely throughout the evening the two sat discussing everything and began to discover small amounts of information about the other, her name was angelina she was new in town she just felt like a change and where better than Vegas? no two days were the same in her opinion Tommy disagreed his days had began to merge in to each other a constant round of cooking cleaning and arguing closely followed by a few drinks before returning home and falling asleep on the couch.

Kick out time came Tommy and Angelina left together walking in the same direction in to the warm night, she casually linked her arm through his.

Renee tossed and turned the noises of the house settling making her jump out of her skin, she lay alone with her thoughts, why did she open the door? she went against her better judgement and what had it gotten her? a near death experience life saving surgery and a scar that looked as though a butcher had hold of her at one point, she missed him though, the house felt empty and the bed too big she felt safe with him there, she wasn't sure as to why but having Tommy there made a difference, she rolled slowly on to her side pain pulling at her ribs as she moved, she winced quietly and pulled the duvet tight under her chin, closing her eyes and curling in to foetal position she felt her body relax hoping that sleep would creep up on her soon.

A hazy light filled the room, Tommy rubbed his eyes, the smell of stale alcohol filling his lungs he blinked a few times his head aching and his body cold and stiff, he looked around confused a sudden realisation punching his stomach in to knots, next to him was the blonde from the night before make up smeared and not a single item of clothing on her curvy frame, Tommy began to panic moving swiftly and silently from the bed gathering his clothes from the messy heap on the floor, he could remember sloppy kisses and shuddering with pleasure, his heart began to feel heavy as his stomach contorted in to an uncomfortable guilty knot, he stepped out of the small apartment and bolted out of the block pushing his hair back and tucking his shirt in as he went walking quickly down the side walk towards his own home.

-

they spent the day lazing around in there night clothes their bodies a tangle on the small sofa, they both missed Frankie but enjoyed the time together and though few words were passed between them they were comfortable and content, a few small affectionate kisses were dotted around but for the most part they lay and watch whatever mind numbing slapstick was being broadcast at the time, the past had never reared its ugly head to bother the two of them so they enjoyed the silent intimacy they had built together.