Love Me Until My Heart Stops

44: My Kind Of Love

Stirring a little, Esmé rolled onto her back, her dark eyes peeking quietly over at the man who slept soundly at her side, his snores bouncing off of the walls of the silent bedroom. It was early, too early for the couple who were not due in work until mid-morning, but it clearly hadn’t stopped the person who stood outside of their home, their finger pressing the doorbell over and over again. Blinking, Esmé kicked the comforter away from her and quietly moved to her feet, collecting one of Gerard’s jumpers from the side as she padded down the stairs. Wrapping the oversized sweatshirt around her, she pulled back the front door and frowned, her brown eyes focusing on her sister who stood ahead of her. “Ella?” she yawned “It’s not even 7 yet. What on earth are you doing here?” she mumbled.

“I wanted to make sure you’d seen this” Ella muttered as she pulled something out of her bag, stepping past her little sister “It made an appearance last night and I wanted you to see it” she added, handing the magazine over to Esmé who rolled her eyes a little. She wasn’t surprised that it had made the magazine, Gerard and Shakira being in one place at the same time was bound to draw some attention from someone, but she didn’t want to make a fuss. He’d been honest with her, she’d seen it on his face when he’d spoken to her, and she didn’t want to let it bother her. He’d had his moment, just like she’d had hers, and she didn’t want to get stuck on it.

Staring down at the page that Ella had handed to her, Esmé felt her stomach flip, but did her best to stifle it, not wanting to be upset by something she had already been aware of. “You had no need to come here and show me this, Ella” she mused, tearing her stare away from the picture “He already told me that it happened” she added.

Ella lifted her eyebrow. “He told you he made out with his ex?” she squeaked.

Esmé shook her head. “Stop exaggerating” she mused gently “It’s just a kiss and yes, he told me about it. Shakira showed up a couple of nights ago, she wanted to talk to him and Gerard went and had coffee with her. It was his chance to get the closure I got when I went to London to speak with Cesc and he told me that she kissed him” she explained softly.

Ella thought her sister’s words over for a second before she set the magazine down. “How do you feel about it?” she posed gently.

Esmé shrugged. “I am OK with it” she noted gently as she sat down on the arm of the couch, her dark eyes settling on the floor “He deserves the chance to get it out of his system and I am kind of glad that he did. It’s been wonderful, the last few months, but cutting ties with Shakira was something that he needed to do to be surer about us and I am glad that he did it. Do I wish that she hadn’t kissed him? Of course I do, but I don’t think any differently about us than I did a few days ago” she mused. It hurt her, the idea that Shakira had kissed Gerard, but it didn’t change anything between them. Cesc had done the same thing to her and she had no grounds to fixate on Gerard’s kiss with Shakira.

“Is he going to see her again?” Ella posed.

Esmé shook her head. “She was only in town for a few days, she did a show, but she’s gone now and even if she wasn’t, I don’t buy the idea that Gerard’s a cheat. I’m an insecure girl, Ella, and I often worry that something will come along and capture his eye, but deep down, I know he doesn’t have it in him. You and the others have pointed out on occasion the way he looks at me and I can’t help but think that’s enough” she enthused, a familiar loved up smile appearing on her face.

Ella admired it for a few seconds before she shook her head, letting out a soft laugh. “Can you believe that a little over 6 months ago, you were denying that you loved him?” she teased gently, her eyes trained on her little sister. She was happy for her, since she and Gerard had started seeing one another, she hadn’t looked happier, and she kind of envied her sister. Esmé was lucky in what she had with Gerard and Ella, like her mother and Eloisa, hoped that she wouldn’t throw it away. The defender was easily the best person for her.

Esmé shook her head gently. “I didn’t think that I could” she whispered “He was just Gerard, my goofy idiot best friend. I didn’t know that I could be so in love with him” she mumbled, a small blush on her cheeks.

Ella giggled. “You always loved him really” she teased “Your big cuddly security blanket” she giggled.

Esmé’s blushed darkened.

“Do you trust him?” Ella posed after a couple of seconds of silence.

“Completely” Esmé responded without a second thought “I’d trust him with my life, Ella” she noted.

Ella peeked down at the magazine which still sat in her hands. “You know people are going to say things” she murmured, studying the picture gently. It wasn’t overly convincing, Gerard’s hands were against Shakira’s shoulders, appearing to push her back, but that didn’t mean that people wouldn’t believe it.

Esmé nodded. “I know” she mumbled.

“And that it might get back to you-know-who” Ella added.

Esmé nodded her head. She had little doubt that it would be brought to Cesc’s attention. “It’s part of being with Gerard” she mumbled, pulling at a loose thread on her pajama shorts.

“Is he worth it?” Ella posed.

Esmé thought about her sister’s question briefly before her love struck smile appeared once more. “He’s more than worth it” she whispered.

“I’m glad to hear it” Gerard’s voice chimed in, causing Esmé to jump as he padded in from the hall.

“How long have you been out there?” she quipped, her hand resting on her chest.

Gerard’s face lit up with a grin. “Long enough to know exactly how you feel about me” he enthused “I’m worth it, am I?” he teased.

Esmé let out a small groan. “That was supposed to be girl talk” she muttered “You were supposed to be asleep” she added.

Gerard shook his head. “I heard you get up” he mused “I wanted to make sure that you were OK” he added.

Esmé smiled. “I am perfectly OK” she enthused “And you’re very sweet for worrying” she added.

Ella watched the interaction between the pair of them and shook her head, wondering just how they’d managed to miss one another for so long. It was clear from the way they spoke, the way they looked at each other and the way that they smiled that they were meant for one another and she could only hope that they continued to make it work as well as it had for the first few months. There was little doubt that things were going to get harder as the months ticked by and she hoped things panned out for them.

“Are you staying for breakfast, Ella?” Gerard mused as he willed himself away from the soft kiss he had been sharing with Esmé.

Ella shook her head gently. “I’d hate to intrude. Are we still on for Friday night at Eloisa’s, Esmé?” she posed.

Esmé nodded, her arms wrapping around Gerard’s torso. “I’ll see you then, Ella” she grinned as Gerard kissed her forehead.

Ella shook her head a little.

Part of her was a little jealous of the relationship Esmé had with Gerard.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)