Love Me Until My Heart Stops

65: Alone Together

“When do you think we can get out of here without them noticing?” Gerard mused as he stood behind Esmé, his hands resting on her shoulders as they smiled for another photograph. They’d been at it for a while, posing and smiling for the raft of relatives and friends that were all itching to get a shot of the bride and groom, and Gerard was itching to get away. They’d been married for a little over an hour and he was desperate to get a second alone with Esmé who looked more than stunning her dress.

“Seeing as we’re the bride and groom, I think people would notice if we skipped our own reception” Esmé mused, slipping Gerard’s hands down to her waist as their photographer appeared ahead of them, snapping another couple of pictures.

“Surely they’d understand” Gerard complained “You look fantastic and it hardly seems fair that I have to share my new wife with everyone” he added.

Esmé shook her head. “It’s only for a few more hours” she mused, smiling as her mother and sisters made their way towards them “And then you get me all to yourself. Do you think you can put up with it for that long?” she posed.

Gerard rolled his eyes playfully. “I don’t think I have a choice” he huffed.

“Aw, their first fight as a married couple” Ella teased as she moved to wrap her arms around her little sister, hugging her tightly “It only took an hour” she added.

Esmé rolled her eyes. “It’s not a fight” she mused.

“Merely a disagreement” Gerard contributed.

“You’re going to be more annoying now, aren’t you?” Isaac noted, posing alongside his girlfriend as the photographer took another photo.

“Annoying?” Gerard scoffed, a grin on his face “We’ve never been annoying” he mused.

Isaac rolled his eyes and ushered Ella away, leaving Gerard alone with Esmé. “You’re sure that we have to go to the reception and I can’t just take you home?” he mumbled as he placed his arms around her, hugging her gently.

“I’m fairly certain” Esmé teased, wrapping her arms around his neck “But if you behave yourself, I’ll get us out earlier” she grinned.

“I like that train of thought, mi esposa” he enthused before he placed a kiss on her lips, something the photographer was quick to capture.

~#~
“You have a wife” Lionel teased as he placed a glass of champagne ahead of Gerard, smiling at his friend.

“I do” Gerard commented, watching as Esmé spoke with one of her aunts. She looked wonderful, her dress hugged her close and her smile was stunning and since they’d said their ‘I do’, Gerard hadn’t been able to stop staring at her. He was still remarkably giddy about the entire thing.

Lionel shook his head gently. “You realize that everyone around you knows you’re undressing her with your eyes” he teased.

Gerard spluttered on his drink. “I am not” he noted, making Lionel laugh.

“You’re staring at her an awful lot, you can’t blame people for thinking it” he teased.

Gerard rolled his eyes. “She looks wonderful” he huffed slightly, causing Lionel to snicker a little.

“She certainly does” Lionel enthused, stopping his laughing “And you’ve never looked happier. As fun as teasing you is, I am very happy for you, Gerard. Esmé’s a sweet girl and I am glad that the pair of you got it together before it was too late” he mused, sipping his drink thoughtfully.

Gerard smiled. “Gracias, hombre” he enthused.

Lionel grinned before Esmé appeared, causing him to step away. He could already sense that Gerard was desperate for a few moments alone with his new bride and Lionel wasn’t about to take it away from him. He doubted Gerard had the patience to be deprived of a moment alone with her for much longer. “Congrats, Esmé” he enthused, hugging the brunette tightly before he stepped away, moving to find his own wife.

Esmé smiled after Lionel before she slipped into the seat beside her husband, smiling at him widely. “You look awfully grumpy for a man who’s just gotten married” she teased gently.

Gerard offered her a tired smile. “I haven’t exactly had a chance to celebrate that fact in a way I would like to yet” he mused, taking her hand.

Esmé smiled. “Come with me” she mused, climbing to her feet.

“Esmé, we can skip out. I am not about to piss off my new mother-in-law less than five hours after I married her daughter” Gerard complained.

Esmé shook her head and balled her dress up slightly, stopping it from dragging underneath her feet as she led Gerard across the room and into the small corridor that was just outside of the hotel ballroom. She knew that they didn’t have long, Delia was looking to get started on speeches before people got too drunk, but she wanted a moment alone with him. Since they’d shared their first kiss as a married couple they’d been in front of people and Esmé was just as desperate as Gerard to get a second alone. “If you’re taking me back to a room, your mother will kill me” Gerard complained, plodding along behind her.

Esmé rolled her eyes. “We’re just having a moment alone, Geri. No one is going to kill anyone” she assured him softly.

Gerard offered her a slightly dubious look before she led him out of a side door, leading him into the hotel’s garden. “I scouted this route the other morning when my mother bought me here to make the final checks” Esmé enthused, noting the smile which had slowly formed on Gerard’s face “I figured that people would want to make a fuss for a while and I figured you wouldn’t be a fan of sharing me so I found this place. We’ve got about 10 minutes before my mother figures it out” she explained, leading him over towards a bench.

Gerard followed her for a few steps before he set his hands on her waist, lifting her up with relative ease as a small squeal fell out of her mouth. “What are you doing?” she squeaked as he turned her around, allowing her to wrap her legs somewhat awkwardly around him.

“Having my moment” Gerard replied, smiling up at her “We’ve not been alone together since you showed up at the church and I have been dying to just hug you and kiss you for hours, but your relatives keep getting in the way. I love your sisters, your mother, but I have needed this since you walked into the church” he enthused.

“You looked amazing” Esmé smiled, loosening his tie “You’ve always looked great in a suit” she mused.

“I had nothing on you, mi hermosa novia” he murmured “I am still in awe of you” he quipped.

Esmé blushed and pressed a kiss to his forehead. “I love you” she mused gently.

Gerard smiled at the three words before he carefully lowered her back to her feet, his hands keeping her close to him. “I love you too” he mumbled “As strange as it still seems, I do, and I am glad that we did this, all of it. I’m lucky to have you” he enthused, kissing her cheeks lovingly.

Esmé snuggled into his hug, unaware of the man who stood a little away from them, a doting smile on his face as he watched his little girl with the man she loved.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)