Love Me Until My Heart Stops

71: I’m Sure We’ll Cope

“Do you really have to stay over with Eloisa tonight?” Gerard mumbled as he rested his head back, his blue eyes scanning the tiled ceiling of the maternity ward. It had been a while, almost 3 months had passed since they’d had their own wedding, but with Eloisa’s due the following day, Gerard was slightly irked. He knew that it didn’t matter, since they’d gotten together, he spent more than one night away from Esmé, but still it bothered him. The sight of her tucked up at his side was only surpassed by a couple of things and he didn’t like to have it taken away from him unnecessarily.

Esmé, who was flicking through a pamphlet about giving birth, nodded. “It’s the night before her wedding. Madre wants me and Ella there to keep an eye on things. Are you going to be able to make it through the night?” she teased, pulling her eyes away from the leaflet briefly.

“I have my doubts” the defender commented “Are you going to be OK in your bridesmaid’s dress with this?” he mused, his hand resting on the 5 month old bump which she sported beneath the material of her knitted sweater. It was still a strange, the sight of the ever-growing bump was still a little odd to him, but that didn’t mean he didn’t love it. Her bump was easily one of his favourite things and he had developed quite the habit of talking to it or touching it whenever he could.

Esmé smiled. “We went out the other day to get it altered” she mused “I look a little huge, but it doesn’t matter. It’s Eloisa’s day and no one is going to be looking at the pregnant bridesmaid” she added gently. It had worried her, the idea of putting on the somewhat tight maroon dress that Eloisa had chosen for her, but after a timely talk with Ella, she felt a little better. It wasn’t about her, the following day was about Eloisa and Martin, and she merely had to get through it.

Gerard shook his head. “You’re not even remotely huge” he mused, his thumb moving across her bump “You’re 5 months gone and unless you’re looking for it, you can hardly see our bump” he quipped.

“You have to say that” Esmé quipped, smiling gently.

“Even if I didn’t, I’d say it” Gerard commented before their midwife appeared, calling them through to a small room.

“Gerard and Esmé, it’s so nice to see you again” the midwife mused, her eyes perusing the chart that she had been given. “How are you feeling?” she added, peeking at the brunette who had quietly settled on the examination bed.

“I feel pretty good” Esmé noted “I’m getting a few more aches and pains, but the nausea seems to be wearing off” she explained.

The midwife nodded. “Your tests look good. You’re still doing everything the book told you to?” she posed.

“He won’t let me not do it” Esmé teased, nudging Gerard who rolled his eyes a little. He merely wanted things to be alright when it came to their baby.

The midwife smiled gently before she moved towards the bed, instructing Esmé to lay down. “Are you hoping to find out the gender today?” she noted as she prepared the ultrasound scanner.

“I’d like to” Gerard noted “Esmé?” he posed.

Esmé smiled gently. “We’ll go with you” she commented, causing the midwife to nod as she moved to smear the gel over Esmé’s bump. Gerard smiled gently and reached for his wife’s hand, squeezing it gently as she grimaced. “Sorry for the chill” she commented.

Esmé smiled at the other woman softly before the small distinctive thump of their baby’s heartbeat filled the air. “It’s a good heartbeat” the nurse grinned.

Gerard, who’d shuffled a little closer to the bed, grinned, pressing a little kiss to Esmé’s forehead.

“Are you sure about knowing the sex?” The midwife quipped.

“Certain” Esmé smiled, her dark eyes peeking at Gerard who seemed incapable of removing his stare from the screen.

“Then congratulations, you’re expecting what appears to be a healthy little girl” the midwife revealed gently.

Esmé blinked. “A girl?” she posed softly.

“She’s a girl, I am about 95% certain” the midwife mused before she quietly excused herself to collect the video of the scan for the couple to take away with them.

“Gerard” Esmé murmured, her hand gently nudging his elbow “Did you hear that?” she added.

Gerard, who had been eyeing the screen, nodded his head slowly, his ears ringing with the words. He knew that it was a 50/50 shot, but a little part of him had suspected that their child would be a boy, something which meant the revelation that it was going to be girl had caught him somewhat off guard. “It’s a girl” he murmured gently, turning his stare to Esmé.

Esmé smiled. “Someone wanted a boy” she teased, noting the slack expression on his face.

Gerard shook his head. “I don’t care as long as they come out healthy” he insisted gently “Besides, a girl who’s got her mama’s looks will not be a bad thing” he quipped, a slight smile appearing.

“You say that now” Esmé teased as she wiped her stomach off, allowing her sweater to cover it again “But I have a memory of my mother screaming at me when I was 16 years old and I bought home a guy with a criminal record. I can only wonder how you will be when she brings home her first date” she grinned.

Gerard furrowed his brow at the thought before he playfully shuddered. “She’s never going to date” he muttered.

“My mother said the same about me, and look at me now” Esmé grinned as she moved to take her coat from Gerard’s arm.

Gerard shook his head. “I can imagine the trouble your mother had when you guys were growing up” he mused “I mean, three pretty daughters born six years apart. She must have had a wonderful time” he grinned, his tone a little sarcastic.

Esmé smiled. “Eloisa didn’t really date when she was younger. Martin is one of only 2 real boyfriends she has had. Ella was a terror, I mean a different boy every week” she mused.

“And you?” Gerard quipped as they stepped out of the door.

“I was a good girl” Esmé noted, smiling at him widely.

Gerard snorted. “Yeah right” he teased, taking her hand.

Esmé gasped. “I was a very good teenager, Gerard, there was just one guy who my mother didn’t like because he used to steal cars” she quipped.

“You were into the bad boy type?” Gerard posed, an eyebrow raised in amusement.

Esmé shrugged. “What can I tell you? I bet you had your fair share of mistakes” she noted, nudging his side gently.

Gerard grimaced. “A couple” he mused.

Esmé giggled gently and pressed kiss to his cheek. “I am sure we’ll cope” she mused.

Gerard nodded. He was sure that they would
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo, petitmonstre and Jayme112234 for the comments :)