Love Me Until My Heart Stops

74: Ahead Of Schedule

“Are you ready?” Esmé mused as she stood against the kitchen counter, her brown eyes fixed on Gerard who stood a little away from her, a concentrated expression on his face. It had been a while, a few weeks since she had spoken to her father, and with their due date approaching rapidly, they’d made the decision to do a trial run of the moment that Esmé’s waters would break. They still had a little while, Esmé’s due date was the 24th of February and it was only the 31st of January, but they wanted to be prepared. Everything else was in place, their daughter’s nursery had been finished during the winter break, Gerard had chosen godparents and Esmé had figured out a name, and all that remained was for the little girl to put in her first appearance, something which both of her parents were eagerly anticipating.

“I think so” Gerard replied “You have the timer?” he posed.

“On my phone. You remember where we left everything?” Esmé returned.

“In the nursery and our room” Gerard noted.

Esmé nodded her head gently. “You remember what we need?” she mused.

“The baby bag which has an outfit for her in it and a blanket. Then there is your bag which has two nightdresses in, a change of clothes for going home, a couple of books for you to read and all of the other things the midwife suggested and my bag which had two changes of clothes, the camera and a phone charger” he explained, reeling off the list they had gone through with their midwife. I

Esmé smiled. “You did listen” she teased, gently rubbing her bump as the baby gave a little kick.

Gerard rolled his eyes. “Are we going to do this?” he mumbled.

Esmé nodded her head gently before she took her phone into her hand, her thumb linger above the start button on the timer. “3…2…1…Go” she announced, pressing the screen. Gerard stared at her for a moment before he took off, moving quickly up the stairs whilst Esmé padded into the hall, slipping her feet into the most comfortable pair of shoes she could find. Locating her coat, she slipped it around her shoulders before Gerard appeared once more, three bags in hand and his jumper on backwards. Esmé smiled. “Almost, amor” she noted as she slipped the bags out of his hands “But you might want to consider putting your jumper on the right away round” she smiled, flicking the hood up.

Gerard shook his head. “I panicked” he insisted “I grabbed the first thing I could find and just threw it on” he mused.

Esmé grinned. “You’re going to be more of a wreck than I am when she decides to make an appearance” she teased as she slipped her shoes off, moving into the living room so that she could sit down. It was taking its toll, being pregnant meant that Esmé was often uncomfortable for large periods of time and she was almost glad that it was nearly over. She couldn’t wait to have their little girl in her arms.

“I don’t think I will be” Gerard mused “When the day comes, I think I will be very calm, but you?” he teased.

“You’re not the one pushing a human out of you” Esmé quipped, slapping his shoulder playfully “I think I am a little entitled to be a wreck” she mused.

Gerard smiled gently. “It will be worth it though, won’t it?” he mused, gently brushing his thumb over her bump.

Esmé nodded her head softly. “I can’t wait to meet her” she enthused softly.

“I bet she will be beautiful like her mama” Gerard cooed as he rested his forehead on her temple. Things were quiet for them, with Gerard having played a game the night before and Esmé being on maternity leave, they had very little that they needed to do, and Gerard was grateful for it. There were only few more weeks of it being just them and he wanted to enjoy the last few quiet moments before their daughter made her first appearance.

Esmé smiled. “I just want her to be OK” she mused softly “We can worry about who she looks like more when she is sat in my arms for the first time, but right now, I am just waiting for her to come” she mused gently.

“She’s going to be fine” Gerard assured her “She’s got a brilliant mama who’s done a wonderful job carrying her around for the last 8 months and I am sure the next month or so will pass by in no time at all. She’s going to be amazing, Esmé” he enthused softly before he gently pushing himself back to his feet “I’m going to grab something for lunch. Do you want anything?” he posed, kissing the top of her head affectionately.

Esmé shook her head. “Not right now” she mused.

Gerard nodded his head swiftly and padded out of the room, allowing Esmé to lean forwards slightly to collect the remote from the coffee table. Stretching forwards, she placed a hand on her bump and grimaced a little, noting the twinge that pushed through it. It wasn’t the first one she had had, she’d been having them all morning, but she had dismissed them as nothing more than the regular discomfort she found herself in. Placing her hand on the remote, she moved to flick on the screen only to stop as a warm feeling spread over the front of her leggings. Frowning, she gently lowered her hand and brushed it over the material, a small squeak falling out of her mouth.

“Gerard” she called, her voice shaking a little.

“You changed your mind about lunch?” the defender posed as he stepped back into the room, a buttery knife in his hand.

“No” Esmé noted, her head shaking slightly “No, Gerard, look” she quipped, gesturing to the wet patch on her trousers.

Gerard frowned a moment before his blue eyes widened a fraction, his hand releasing the knife which fell to the floor with a clatter. “She’s coming now?” he squeaked.

Esmé nodded her head. “She is” she confirmed, a shaky smile on her face.

Gerard thought briefly before he sprinted into the hall, collecting the bags which sat on the floor. “I will call your mother and sisters as well as my family when we arrive, but we should go. Do you need anything else?” he pressed.

Esmé shook her head and pushed herself gently to her feet. “Just a kiss” she mused “We’re about to have our baby” she mused.

Gerard smiled softly and pressed his lips to hers. “Yes we are” he agreed gently.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and petitmonstre for the comments :)