Love Me Until My Heart Stops

75: Counting The Minutes

“How are you feeling?” Gerard posed as he stepped back into the hospital room, sparing a soft look towards his wife who lay in the bed, her mother cooing in her ears. They’d been there for a while, since Esmé’s waters had broken nearly 12 hours had passed and things weren’t moving along as quickly as he’d hoped. She was early, their daughter’s due date was still a few weeks away, but the midwife had been quick to assure Esmé that everything was going alright, even if it was moving along a lot slower than they had planned for, the main thing was that the little girl was still doing alright.

“She’s tired now” Delia murmured as she stepped towards the door, patting her son-in-law on the shoulder “She’s been in pain for a long time and she’s getting a little frustrated. The midwife came in about 10 minutes ago and she’s still only 2cm dilated” she added.

“Still?” Gerard sighed gently “We’ve been here for 12 hours” he protested gently.

“It’s a slow process, especially with the first one. I was in labour for 25 hours with Ella” Delia smiled.

Gerard rubbed his chin gently. “Are you hanging around?” he posed.

“I’ll be with the girls in reception, but if you need a break, feel free to pop by. I’d be more than happy to sit in for you” Delia grinned before she stood up on her toes, pressing a kiss to his cheek “You’ll be fine” she insisted before she stepped away, allowing Gerard to make a move towards Esmé’s bed. She looked tired, her skin had paled a little and her eyes rested heavily on her eyelids, but he had a feeling that they were going to be there for a while yet. Esmé had been in labour for the best part of 13 hours and yet the progress seemed to be halted at 2cm, suggesting that they were going to be cooped up in the hospital room for a while to come.

“You’re back” Esmé mumbled as she turned over a little, her brown eyes peeking up at the defender sleepily “Where’d you go?” she added.

“I went to take a nap” Gerard admitted gently “Your mother suggested that I take a little time out. I wasn’t gone long, was I?” he posed.

Esmé shook her head sleepily. “Only half an hour” she mumbled “I would know, I’m counting the minutes” she added, rubbing her bump gently.

“Still no progress, eh?” he posed gently, his hand reaching for hers, squeezing the small extremity gently.

“The midwife keeps telling me to keep calm, that she’ll make an appearance when she’s ready, but I am tired and I am sick of the pain already” she mumbled softly.

“Have you gotten up yet?” Gerard posed, moving to collect her slippers from the spot beside the door “Perhaps we could take a walk, get your mind off of it for a little while” he suggested softly. He knew that it wasn’t going to make things move along any quicker, their baby would come when she came, but he wanted to distract Esmé for a little while. He didn’t like it, since they’d arrived at the hospital, she had cried more than once and was only getting more and more tired and frustrated, and he wanted her to calm down for a little while. Her blood pressure was running a little high and he didn’t want there to be any sort of complication.

Esmé shrugged. “Do you think it will help?” she posed.

“It’ll get you out of here for a little while and hopefully calm you down slightly. You seem very wound up” he suggested as he moved to help her up, pulling her dressing gown around her.

Esmé nodded her head softly. “Alright” she conceded.

Gerard flashed her a small smile before he took her hand, gently leading her out into the hall. It wasn’t as private as he would have liked it, when they’d made plans for the due date, he’d arranged for a more private setting, but with Esmé’s going into labour having caught them both off guard, he had had to settle for the first room they could get for her. “Did you call your parents?” Esmé mused as they took a slow walk around the corridor.

“I did. They told me to have someone call when we’re about ready to go. With your mother and sisters here, they didn’t want to get in the way” he explained gently.

Esmé nodded. “Did you call Roberto?” she posed.

Gerard tilted his head. “Did you want me to? Your mother is here” he mused, grimacing a little as Esmé gripped his hand to get through her contraction.

“It’s his granddaughter” Esmé mused as they continued to walk “I kind of don’t want him to miss out on being here when she eventually comes along” she noted.

“Are you sure?” Gerard posed “I don’t want this day to be remembered for your mother and father having a fight” he noted softly. He had to admit, he was a little impressed that Esmé had even suggested calling Roberto, but he didn’t want to push it. He wanted that day to be about them and their little girl, not Esmé’s parents and the fight they were bound to have when they eventually met again.

“When you call your parents, call him” Esmé noted gently “He missed out on Oliver and I don’t want him to miss out on her” she mused with a look down towards her bump.

“You never did tell me what you’d decided to call her” Gerard mused, moving his arm around her shoulder.

“You didn’t tell me who you’d picked as her godparents” Esmé countered, sparing him a slightly tired smile.

“Leo, obviously” Gerard replied “And I was thinking either one of your sisters, perhaps Ella because she’s already got Oliver” he mused, hugging her to him slightly.

“I think that’s a very good idea” Esmé smiled.

“So, what about her name?” Gerard encouraged.

“You really want to know?” Esmé teased, smiling up at him gently.

“I would. I should probably get used to saying it” the defender teased softly.

“I was thinking she could be Ava Maia Piqué Silva” Esmé smiled.

“Ava?” Gerard posed.

Esmé nodded her head gently. “Do you not like it?” she posed softly.

Gerard stopped walked for a moment and placed his arms around her, hugging her gently. “Ava” he repeated gently “Our daughter, Ava” he mused “I could get used to it” he quipped with a grin.

Esmé smiled at him gently. “Can we get back to my room? I could use a couple of minutes to sleep” she noted as she rested her head on his shoulder, a small yawn tumbling out of her mouth.

Gerard smiled and kiss the top of her head, hoping that they wouldn’t be at it for much longer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)