Love Me Until My Heart Stops

80: You’re Not Over Him

“We’ll be fine” Esmé noted as she looked up from her spot on the couch, a small smile on her face. It had been a couple of days since they had brought Ava home from the hospital and with a game that weekend, Gerard was expected to travel with the team to Madrid to play against Getafe, something which had him a little on edge. He knew that it wouldn’t be a problem, since Ava had arrived, Esmé had been nothing short of wonderful with the little girl, but he still didn’t like the idea of leaving them behind for more than a couple of hours.

“I don’t doubt that” Gerard mused, resting against the couch “But I still don’t like it as an idea” he protested.

“It’s only because it is the first one” Esmé noted softly as she shifted Ava in her arms “In a few weeks when you’ve done it a couple more times, I am sure you’ll feel a lot better about it” she added.

“I don’t think that I will” Gerard protested gently, his thumb gently brushing over Ava’s forehead, causing her to wrinkle her tiny nose “I adore her tiny face too much to be away from it for very long” he added.

“You’re going to be gone for one night” Esmé reasoned gently “And if it bothers you that much, I will video call you when you arrive at your hotel so that you can say goodnight to her” she offered with a small smile.

“Promise?” Gerard noted as his phone vibrated against his hip, signaling that it was time to go.

Esmé rolled her eyes. “I wouldn’t dare not to” she smiled “Good luck” she added.

Gerard offered her a small smile before he dropped a kiss onto Ava’s forehead, mumbling that he loved her before he pressed a kiss to Esmé’s lips. “I will see you tomorrow” he mumbled gently before he pulled back, collecting his bag from the spot beside the door.

Esmé offered him one last smile before she turned her eyes back Ava, smiling as the little girl stirred softly. “I can see why he wouldn’t want to go” she cooed, her fingertips gently brushing through Ava’s dark hair before she placed her little hat back onto her head “You’ve got him wrapped around your very tiny finger” she smiled. Ava shifted a little before she snuggled into her mother’s arms, making Esmé smile widely before the doorbell rang.

Sighing, Esmé laid Ava down in her Moses basket before she stepped out into the hall, pulling the door back to her mother. “Madre” she squeaked “I didn’t realize that you were coming over” she added.

Delia sighed. “I need to talk to you” she mumbled.

Esmé cocked an eyebrow. “Should I be concerned?” she posed.

“I did something stupid” Delia announced as she stepped over the threshold, making her way deeper into Esmé’s home.

Esmé frowned. “How stupid?” she posed as she caught up with her mother in the living room.

Delia sighed and ran a hand through her hair. “Have you spoken to your father since he came to the hospital to see Ava?” she posed, her eyes settling on her daughter.

“No” Esmé replied “He left just after you and Gerard ducked out and didn’t come back. Why?” she poked.

Delia let out a deep breath. “I may have slept with him” she admitted softly.

Esmé’s brown eyes widened as she stared at her mother, the words ringing in the air. “You did what?” she posed after a moment of silence.

“Esmé…”

“You slept with him?” Esmé interjected, her voice incredulous.

Delia nodded. It had been a rash decision, after Roberto admitted what he had done, Delia had followed him with the intention of yelling at him for being so stupid, but the words had died on her tongue when she had met the stare of his eyes, the eyes she had fallen in love with when she was 18 years, she had melted. What was supposed to be yelling had descended into kissing and before she knew it, she had ended up in bed with her former husband. “He told me about why he left, and I wanted to yell at him for thinking that money was what we needed over him, but then I looked at him, Esmé” she protested gently.

The brunette eyed her mother for a moment she shook her head. “I can’t even pretend to be surprised” she mumbled.

“What?” Delia squeaked.

Esmé shrugged. “He never hid the fact that he had feelings for you from me, mama. When I met up with him just before Christmas, he blatantly admitted it, and I am not surprised to see that you still feel the same way” she noted.

“I don’t love him, Esmeralda” Delia returned stubbornly.

Esmé giggled as she moved to sit down, her dark eyes briefly checking on Ava who had contently laid in her Moses basket, her big blue eyes staring up at her mother. “Mama, you always talk about how wonderful things were when you had papa around” she mused softly “You told Gerard about him when you asked him to propose to me. You talk about the guy all of the time and I don’t doubt that you do still have feelings for him, no matter how strongly you want to deny it. Sleeping with him kind of makes it obvious” she noted.

“He abandoned us, Esmé” Delia reasoned.

“For our own good” Esmé returned “Come on mama, you can’t tell me that at least a little part of you didn’t melt when he told you why he went. The only reason you’re so pissed still is because you never got over him” she smiled.

Delia rolled her eyes.

“Mama, you did just fall into bed with the guy. You must have some depth of feeling towards him or you’re a smidge more slutty than I thought” Esmé teased.

“That’s no way to talk to your mother” Delia scoffed.

Esmé rolled her eyes. “Look at me, mama, and tell me that you have absolutely no feelings whatsoever for the man that gave you me, Ella and Eloisa. Tell me you don’t still think about the day he proposed or the day you got married. I admit, he was a bit of an ass in thinking that we needed money more than him, but what he did was selfless and a little bit wonderful and I can tell you think it too” Esmé grinned.

Delia’s cheeks warmed slightly.

Esmé giggled. “You’re so in love with him” she teased.

“Esmeralda” the older woman warned.

“What?” Esmé squeaked, a wide smile on her face “You were relentless when I refused to accept that loved Gerard, I think it’s only fair that I get to be a little insufferable right now” she mused.

Delia shook her head. “I’m your mother” she noted.

“I am very aware of that, but right now, you’re like every other girl who refuses to accept that they have a crush on a guy and I find it amazing” Esmé grinned.

Delia rolled her eyes. “You’re going to be awful when Ava brings home her first boyfriend, aren’t you?” she noted as she moved to look at her granddaughter who had quietly fallen asleep.

Esmé shrugged before she took her mother’s hand, offering it a squeeze. “It’s OK, mama” she mused softly.

Delia smiled and pressed a kiss to Esmé’s head, thanking her gently.